Fantasycraft

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
Ok. The AoOs relating to movement are replaced with a simple rule: If you are adjacent (within 5' or one square) of an opponent (not their reach) you may only take a 5' step, Tumble, or a standard move where the first 10' does not leave them adjecent. Also, if you move adjacent to an opponent it ends your move unless they are flat-footed or unable to attack you, although you can tumble past. In play it's easy to remember and has a minimal effect.
And certainly less likely to make people afraid to move, period, because they're paranoid about getting attacked. And everyone gets stuck in the narrow stairway behind them. Because that happened to one of my groups once, and it sucked.
It's worth noting that, in a lot of ways, FC shares some feel with 1e. In that a number of rules and a few systems are left vague for the GM to adapt to their purposes and style. Known spells, for instance. The game tells you how many spells a Mage starts with, but not how they gain more since it's an issue related to the specific campaign.
I suppose that's worth a try. :)
It also has per session and per combat resources.
Ah, I thought I'd noticed "per session" in there somewhere. The thing is I do a lot of PbP, and "per session" would have no meaning. Still that's a separate issue entirely, and not one I couldn't come up with a solution to.

Krensky

First Post
Ah, I thought I'd noticed "per session" in there somewhere. The thing is I do a lot of PbP, and "per session" would have no meaning. Still that's a separate issue entirely, and not one I couldn't come up with a solution to.

Pick an arbitrary length of time, number of scenes or number of posts and call that a session. :)

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Pick an arbitrary length of time, number of scenes or number of posts and call that a session. :)

Yeah, let's face it — most RPGs aren't designed with PbP in mind. 15 turns (posts) per player seems to be my default "session" for PbP games.

Psion

Adventurer
It's worth noting that, in a lot of ways, FC shares some feel with 1e. In that a number of rules and a few systems are left vague for the GM to adapt to their purposes and style. Known spells, for instance. The game tells you how many spells a Mage starts with, but not how they gain more since it's an issue related to the specific campaign.

1e feel also says "inconsistent and ill-used rules", and there's hopefully few of those, but I get what you are saying. :cool:

For me, a nostalgic 1e-bit: the renown titles reminded me a bit of level names from 1e.

Last edited:

Allenchan

First Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but Ive had a hard time finding enough interest in a Fantasycraft PbP game on my normal stopping grounds. If anyone has an idea or is interested let me know :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Actually, FC does cover when Mages get spells - every time they pick up a rank of Spellcasting they get another spell.

I am busy trying to convert two campaigns to FC - one from Spycraft 2.0 (easy, except for the gear system) and a homebrew (much more involved, since I am converting form D&D 3.X).

Both are using Elements of Magic for the spell casting, so I can't comment too much on FC's magic system. It looks workable, I just like EoM: ME better.

The biggest advantage, by far, is that the adventures are not necessarily tied to level - that they can be scaled on the fly. I can say that the NPC/Monster system is pretty darned awesome. :) I like being able to pit a second level party against a giant and not have to worry that it will all end in tears. And because of the way NPCs work they scale relative to the PCs - so an NPC that can clean their clocks at first level can still do so at level ten.

For the homebrew in particular it means that I can scale an adventure when the PCs get to it - kind of important since it is a fairly open setting in regards to where they go. This allows me to place some adventures by area, rather than having them travel from job to job, adventure to adventure.

This was something that I also liked in Spycraft 2.0 - when I was planning out my Fallout 3 campaign I was able to allow the PCs to just wander where they willed, tying adventures to the locales ahead of time - so the ghouls in the tunnels beneath Disneyworld did not need to have the PCs dragged from Cape Canaveral in order to confront them. Whenever the PCs get to Disney will be just fine.

It also means that I can create some Adventure McNuggets that I can drop in when needed, without a whole lot of work. I can spend some time to do up some short adventures/encounters that I can just drop in when I am bored/lazy/have no idea what I should do next.

I am even converting an adventure that I have run under several systems, from Runequest 3 to AD&D 2, to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. (I am not sure it really counts as converting - my original notes are systemless.) A Tree Grows in Aidentaugh. (Tree in the sense of Tyburn Tree....)

I am liking it so far, and should be ready to run the first games in my old homebrew in November. Right now I am enjoying some time as a player in a Spycraft 2.0 campaign.

The Auld Grump, sleep typing, again....

Khaalis

Adventurer
Hey AuldGrump. I am curious how you are converting Elements of Magic to FC. What system are you using to do the conversion? Alsohave you seen True Sorcery from Green Ronin? If so, how similar is it to EoM?

Remove ads