Far Cry

Quasqueton

First Post
I just picked up Far Cry a couple days ago, and I've now played a few hours of it. Any of you played it? Its a first-person shooter based on an island.

Am I just blind, or does this game not have a save feature (button)? Check out this pathetic stupidity on my part (because there's no way to manually save):

The game auto saves at one point right before you are about to go up a ladder onto a derelict aircraft carrier flight deck. I go up the ladder to the flight deck. There are bad guys to the rear, bad guys to the fore, a chain gun to one side, and a helicopter gunship circling about over head. There are some scattered crates to hide behind, but no position covers you from more than two sides.

So after half-an-hour of running up that ladder, fighting, dying, and restarting at the bottom of the ladder, I finally manage to take out all the badguys (including the gunship). No way to save at this point.

I go to the aft section of the ship, and look around for my next "goal". It is a rubber boat hanging from chains on pullies over the sea. I crouch down and edge up to the side to look down on it. For some reason, when you get near the edge of a platform, you start slipping over the edge automatically. I realize what is happening when I can't stop the slide, and I try to land in the rubber boat. But I miss and fall to the water.

Well, my choice is to swim back around to the way into the ship, go all through the decks and back up to the flight deck. That would take a *long* time. So I restart from the auto save point. Another twenty minutes of fighting. Probably would have been easier and no longer to just go through the ship again.

I go to the rear of the ship again and walk over to the boat. Now, the rubber boat actually hangs below the level of the deck, so all you can see until you get right up on it is the chains hanging from pullies. I look over the edge again, trying to avoid sliding off. When I look over, I see one chain has broken (probably during the firefight), and the boat is hanging by only one chain. (So *that's* how to get it down.) But the "auto fall feature" of the game has me sliding over the edge again. DAMNIT! But as I fall, I figure to shoot the remaining chain and let the boat fall with me. As I'm falling over the edge, I whip my M16 up and fire a burst toward the chain (as I'm faaaallllllinnng). My burst does hit the chain and break it, but bullets also hit the engine of the boat, and it explodes.

The blackened boat falls into the water with me. When I try to do anything with it, the system tells me, "This vehicle is too damaged to use." DAMNIT! again.

I don't even have the option of just walking back through the ship this time. I've got to restart at the save point, again, and fight this whole damn battle, again. Fifteen minutes of fighting again, and I'm back at the boat. Fortunately, this time, I manage to get the boat down and in the water without damaging it.

Geez. Before I ever buy another game, I'm going to make sure it has a manual save feature.

Quasqueton

MaxKaladin

First Post
I've played it and found that annoying. A further annoyance is that the save points pretty much throw you onto a specific path. I had some wierd experiences where I was taking out a base or something full of enemy troops and halfway through I hit the save point when I fot to the area where they expected you to come in at to start with.

I didn't have that much trouble with the carrier though. I had pretty much cleared everything out before I went to the radio or whatever it is that causes you to save so I just had to run up to the deck again whenever I died -- I didn't have to fight my way there all the time.

GlassJaw

Hero
Far Cry is one of my favorite FPS. It's a great game. It was a while ago when I played but I don't remember any annoyance with saving.

The derelict ship (I don't think it was an aircraft carrier but I don't remember) level was pretty tough for me too actually. I do remember screwing up the safety raft too but I eventually got it right.

ergeheilalt

First Post
I love far cry - it's an awesome FPS. I played through it again a few months ago and had to redownload a hack that gives you the option to save (although you have to do it in the console - /save or some such). Makes the game a whole lot easier.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I heard that they changed the save system to save anywhere from save points in a patch. Not sure though, only played demo.

Seravin

Explorer
KenM said:
I heard that they changed the save system to save anywhere from save points in a patch. Not sure though, only played demo.

Actually, I believe it's in the cheats file out there. According to the one write-up I saw you have to modify a file and one of the enabled features allows you save anywhere. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I completed the game once before even looking online for the feature.

My girlfriend and I both love the game however - though she frequently calls it a 'stupid boys game'. :D

I found the top of the carrier to be easier by going back down to the outer walkway. From there it was relatively simple to engage the helicopter by itself. After it was shot down or driven off going back up the ladder was a lot simpler.

GlassJaw

Hero
KenM said:

I think Ken might be right because I vaguely remember doing something like this. I certainly didn't load any hacks but I did get all the patches. Again, I didn't remember having any issue with saving.

J-Buzz

First Post
I thought it was a great game.

I believe the patch added more save points. I never heard about the hack allowing you to save at any point. There are a few spots in the game where the save points suck, but for the most part it did not come up with me.

Good Luck, have fun.

Skrit

First Post
I thought Far cry was a really good game, it was a nice change of pace from the common shooters out there like UT, and any of the Clancy games (I love them too). The graphics were good I loved having it set on an island with nice colors and lush foilage. Considering most game stick you in an industiral plant, and a bunch of other places that look drab.. Granted Far Cry puts you in a large factory type building but the out door areas make up for it.

If I have one complaint about the game it's difficulty. No the game wasn't hard, nor do I lack skill. What does happen is you fight Soldiers (with good AI) for the most part, then instead of making smarter monsters or give them special abilities they just throw these insanely difficult monsters at you. Not just one or two of these either, I'm talking like 3 to 5 at a time, often mixed in with smaller monsters or more soldiers. This caused me a lot of fustration since the game was just being cheap and not much fun near the end..

Remove ads