Farscape Returns!!

LightPhoenix

First Post
My understanding of the situation was that the cost of the show was just one of a few factors that went into Farscape's cancellation.

Another large factor was that the show did not attract new viewers at a rate acceptable to SFC. In fact, the exceedingly complex storylines and need to have seen many episodes previous was seen as a barrier to entry. As an aside, I'm not sure that's really a strong point - but then, I watched it from day one, so I wouldn't know.

It has been said many times, but still just a rumor, that executives at SFC weren't too keen on the show. I don't know why, but that was an oft-heard rumor. Bonnie Hammer supposedly liked it though. It would not surprise me in the least if SFC executives had a hand in it.

Finally, Farscape was very surreal, very chaotic, didn't take itself too seriously, and most of all it was fantastical. In fact, Farscape is, IMO, the definition of science fantasy. The vast majority of SciFi out there is just the opposite - very serious, full of gravitas, and often today very gritty and realistic. There's a reason for this - people like it more. My personal theory is that it's more accessible to people. That doesn't make it bad - BSG, Firefly, DS9, and Babylon 5 (for example) are all very good shows. It just means Farscape came around at a time when sci-fantasy wasn't big, and still isn't.

horacethegrey

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
It has been said many times, but still just a rumor, that executives at SFC weren't too keen on the show.
Weren't keen on it? It was for a time their most popular program. How the hell could they think so little of a show that gained them notoriety? :mad:

I can say this, without the success of Farscape, there would have been no new Battlestar Galactica.

LightPhoenix said:
Finally, Farscape was very surreal, very chaotic, didn't take itself too seriously, and most of all it was fantastical. In fact, Farscape is, IMO, the definition of science fantasy. The vast majority of SciFi out there is just the opposite - very serious, full of gravitas, and often today very gritty and realistic. There's a reason for this - people like it more. My personal theory is that it's more accessible to people. That doesn't make it bad - BSG, Firefly, DS9, and Babylon 5 (for example) are all very good shows. It just means Farscape came around at a time when sci-fantasy wasn't big, and still isn't.
But that's why I loved it so much. Looking back at it, Farscape was pretty much following in the same vein as Doctor Who. Albeit with a much more adult and mature sensibility than Who, but very much the same regardless.

paradox42

First Post
Felon said:
There are basically two types of space-themed sci-fi shows: one that's about outlaws and misfits (Farscape, Blake's 7, Firefly) and one that's about militant characters in rigid chains of command (Star Trek, B5, SG-1, BSG). I'm often amazed at how heavily the sci-fi fanbase leans towards the latter.
I strongly suspect that it isn't the fanbase that leans towards these shows, so much as it is the executives who decide what to put on television. The fans, from what I've seen, will avidly leap on anything with a genuinely interesting plot or angle. The "outlaw" shows generally make authorities look incompetent, evil, stupid, or some combination of all three, and it seems logical to me that executives (being people in authority themselves by definition) will often be subconsciously offended by such portrayals. That subconscious offense then leads to them approving the "military" shows more often.

Felon said:
I would love to see an "outlaw" sci-fi show that actually succeeded in telling its full story.
Amen! I'm given to wonder what the rumored Star Wars series will do if it ever gets on the air. That one would definitely be an "outlaw" series, since it's supposed to take place during the early years of the Empire and the buildup to New Hope/Episode IV.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It was the first show that had a true pop cult hero in it, John used every trick and referance to movies and TV to solve his problems. How I love the show.

Farscape... Definitely one of my favorite shows. Eager to see more, but I fear that webisodes are just not the same as the real deal (assuming I can see them at all as non-american viewer...)

Quick, somebody dig out an old thread about "Favorite Farscape Episode and/or Quote", I am just in the mood to delve in old memories...

:)

LightPhoenix

First Post
horacethegrey said:
Weren't keen on it? It was for a time their most popular program. How the hell could they think so little of a show that gained them notoriety? :mad:

I can say this, without the success of Farscape, there would have been no new Battlestar Galactica.

That's why it's rumor, there's no clear definition. It could have been a personal thing, or an economic thing, or a political thing. No one knows.

As for the latter statement - I completely disagree. There's absolutely no logical connect between one show's success and the other's. It may seem that way, but I think that regardless of Farscape, BSG would have happened, and it would have been on SFC, and it would have been a hit. The two shows are so diametrically opposite with regards to style that comparing the two is folly, IMO.

But that's why I loved it so much.

Same. The day it got cancelled was the day I stopped watching SFC. I still don't subscribe - I have a friend tape episodes of BSG (and Eureka, which I just got into, despite awful title sequence) and I watch it at my leisure.

My point is - look at how many sci-fantasy shows there are, and how many gritty/realistic sci-fi shows there are. The balance is heavily skewed toward the latter, and it would only be that way if the majority of sci-fi fans wanted gritty realism as opposed to fantastical.

Felon

First Post
paradox42 said:
I strongly suspect that it isn't the fanbase that leans towards these shows, so much as it is the executives who decide what to put on television. The fans, from what I've seen, will avidly leap on anything with a genuinely interesting plot or angle. The "outlaw" shows generally make authorities look incompetent, evil, stupid, or some combination of all three, and it seems logical to me that executives (being people in authority themselves by definition) will often be subconsciously offended by such portrayals. That subconscious offense then leads to them approving the "military" shows more often.
Well, some of that certainly jibes with what Joss Whedon said about his dealings with FOX on Firefly. The studio execs were derisive of a show about a bunch of "losers" and "nobodies". They felt like characters that are policy-makers (q.v. Jack Bauer & co) were a lot more appealing to viewers.

Remove ads