• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Favorite AoE Spells?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I love Faerie Fire.

It's atmospheric/looks cool and is fun for the party. Plus it is only a 1st level spell and can still do a lot to turn the tide of battle.

I watched a couple of his things and turned it off when I saw how wildly wrong he is about just about everything.

The thing is, D&D isn't a competitive game. So it's both hard to judge who is right and easy for people to think they are right about strategy.

I've seen people argue until they are blue in the face that their strategy is correct in competitive games even though they lose all the time. So even though there is an easy test to see who is right, they still don't believe the results.

The other thing is that most D&D players don't play competitive games at a high level (indeed most people). I'm not going to trust anyone who doesn't have some good strategy game credentials.

Huh. Well, fair enough. I am curious what you thought he got wrong? He loves Faerie Fire by the way :)

Esker

Hero
Here are my picks by slot level, and damage vs non-damage. Non-concentration spells are rated much more highly for the value of their effect, natch.

SlotDamageNon-Damage
1stThunderwaveFaerie Fire(c)
2ndShatterWeb(c)
3rdSpirit Guardians(c)
Hypnotic Pattern(c)
Fireball
4thSpirit Guardians(c)
Hypnotic Pattern(c)
5thSynaptic StaticWall of Force(c)
Destructive Wave
6thChain LightningMass Suggestion
Bones of the Earth
7thFirestormForcecage
8th??Forcecage
9thMeteor SwarmPsychic Scream

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Spirit Guardians and Hypnotic Pattern have already been mentioned, so I'll bring Synaptic Static into the converation. As much damage and radius as a 3rd-level Fireball, forces a rare and usually easy-to-attack INT save and penalizes enemy attacks, ability checks and concentration saves by an average of slightly less than disadvantage (3.5). Pretty darn nice.

This may be a case of actual play vs. theorycrafting. I've always dismissed Synaptic Static as weaker then other spells I'm casting in a 5th level slot. With the damage and AoE of a 3rd level, even a better damage type and save didn't seem enough to save it vs. the greatly enhanced HPs of foes ~4 levels higher.

Of course, getting past the end of Tier 2 isn't common in the campaigns I'm in, so if only have one or two fifth level slots I'm usually usually them for concentration spells like Animate Object.

In other words, I've self selected past this in the past, but now that you point it out I see benefits and may try it next time it comes up.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Huh. Well, fair enough. I am curious what you thought he got wrong? He loves Faerie Fire by the way :)

It's been a while since I watched/read his stuff but I will give a couple videos a look.

2nd level:

3rd worst - Continual Flame

I don't even know what to say.

Best - Find Steed

Unlike continual flame a horse just isn't a big deal. It isn't useful in many situations and yes it can be handy in a pinch, but leaving behind the rest of the party doesn't actually help.

There are a lot of good 2nd level spells. Find Steed is very low on that list.

Most overrated - Healing Spirit

When the wording is abused it is gross how good it is.

1st level spells

3rd worst - Arms of Hadar

This is actually pretty good. Spell lists are key here. 1st and 2nd level Warlocks like it. It's not even bad at 3rd to 4th level as it scales well and Warlocks don't have other AoE yet.

Sure Thunderwave would be better, but Warlocks don't get that.

Worst - Illusory Script

It does what it says it does. It is mostly a world building spell but also has niche usefulness in intrigue adventures. It's not a dungeon delving spell but doesn't try to be. It's fine.

Most overrated - Healing Word

Healing Word is as good as people say it is. Bonus Action heal at range is a literal life saver.

It's okay to share opinions and also to be wrong but he puts out guides and videos as though he is an authority.

He isn't an expert and shouldn't pretend to be.

I remember having more of an issue with his written guides that he posts on boards but it has been a while since I have read any.

Mistwell

It's okay to share opinions and also to be wrong but he puts out guides and videos as though he is an authority.

He isn't an expert and shouldn't pretend to be.

No, he doesn't. He's never claimed authority or pretended to be an expert.

Your opinion on his guides is one thing. You actually libeling him is entirely other. Those later claims you made are false. Why did you do that?

Gadget

Adventurer
Actually, I think the main problem with Teantmonk's ratings is he often fails to distinguish world building/utility type of spells from 'trap' spells. No is going into the dungeon thinking Illusory Script or Continual Flame is going to win the day (or at least very few people are). And really, rating Disguise Self so low doesn't really make much sense.

jgsugden

Legend
Treatmonk has the most popular wizard guide, a few other good guides, and a lot of good ideas - but I don't think he'd claim he is all knowing or perfect.

One undervalued spell is Freezing Sphere. It is not always terribly useful, but when it is... Dear. God.

60' radius. It can easily be over 100 targets.

And, you can launch 4 to 6 of these *in one round* if you're high level and have some allies to help sling them out. 50d6 cold damage.

It also has unavoidable death potential if you use a few slots when something that breathes air is underwater. You lock it up in ice for 1 minute, then lock it up again with another one right after (readied action). So, if you have 6 available, anything with an 18 or less constitution is pretty much guaranteed to to die due to suffocation.

It is not a spell that all wizards prepare all of the time, but certain wizards, such as a naval wizard.... well, it can be devastating when used correctly.

However, my go tos are the typical ones already mentioned.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
No, he doesn't. He's never claimed authority or pretended to be an expert.

Your opinion on his guides is one thing. You actually libeling him is entirely other. Those later claims you made are false. Why did you do that?

He has a huge Youtube channel devoted to it.

You even cited him as an authority on the subject.

Here is his website devoted to his handbooks and guides.

https://treantmonk.wordpress.com/

Get out of here with your 'libelous'. It's in both his tone and his writing. He makes statements as though they are fact, which they aren't.

They are the musings of someone who likes D&D based on how his group(s) play. He has as much expertise and insight as anyone else.

Actually, I think the main problem with Teantmonk's ratings is he often fails to distinguish world building/utility type of spells from 'trap' spells. No is going into the dungeon thinking Illusory Script or Continual Flame is going to win the day (or at least very few people are). And really, rating Disguise Self so low doesn't really make much sense.

Yeah, here he is replying about Healing Spirit.

"Our experiences must vary. I find that generally if I can access a short and long rests when needed, I don't need additional healing, and casting Healing Spirit would just be throwing a 2nd level slot away."

If I played in a game where long rests were taken whenever the party felt like it I'd have a warped sense of the game too.

Characters in his game probably aren't allowed to die either which is why he thinks Healing Word isn't very good.

Mistwell

He has a huge Youtube channel devoted to it.

To claiming to be an expert an authority? No, he does not. He has a YouTube channel he started because others wanted him to start it. He's a rather humble guy. He has never once claimed to be an expert or authority.

You even cited him as an authority on the subject.

Oh so now *I* am an authority because I cited him as someone I agreed with, making me an authority on who is an authority?

Here is his website devoted to his handbooks and guides.

https://treantmonk.wordpress.com/

Yes as the WOTC shut down he hosted his guides on his own website. How is this him claiming to be an expert or authority? Are you seriously arguing all attempts to organize ones opinions on the game are expressions of expertise? And if so, how is your every post not the same?

Get out of here with your 'libelous'. It's in both his tone and his writing. He makes statements as though they are fact, which they aren't.

Show me one example of tone, or one example of writing, where he says or implies it.

You can't. You made a weird off the cuff attack on him because I mentioned him, and now your doubling down for no reason. It's not cool dude. He's a nice guy, he didn't bring any of this on himself, I just mentioned him as someone I liked and now you're bashing him personally. You do realize he posts here, right? Are you just in a bad mood or something?

They are the musings of someone who likes D&D based on how his group(s) play. He has as much expertise and insight as anyone else.

Yes. And?

Remove ads