• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite Campaign setting

young_dwarf

First Post
Whats the best campaign setting?

I love Forgotten Realms its great but I just started a new game in the midnight campaign setting.

I've never played Greyhawk so I dont know if thats anygood.

Anymore great settings which you use or are your own ones better?

Crothian

First Post
Of the Published ones I lie Midnight for its grit, I like Oathbound for it great ideas, and I like Slaine for its feel.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*points to his sig*

You really have to ask? ;)

But besides Scarred Lands, Oathbound, Midnight, Ravenloft and of course Azerok. There are more but those are kind of my top five.

aurin777

First Post
Iron Kingdoms! Iiiiiiirrrrooooon Kiiiiiiingdoms. Its golden. Take a look see at priveteerpress.com. You won't regret it.
~~Brandon

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
My homebew.

Nightfall, you almost worked your magic on me today. I was very close to picking up Ghelspad today. But I opted for the Dragonstar Guide to the Galaxy instead. Better luck next time. ;)

Honestly, for published settings the Scarred Lands are a nice way to go. They have flavor, they have a lot of support, and other settings (Kalamar, WoT, Twin Crowns) never really clicked with me.

That said, if I was running a high level game I'd have picked up Oathbound today and I was very curious about Midnight.

The Forgotten Realms is great for newer DMs who are looking for their first published game setting. The FR has a patchwork history and background which means it is very easy to dump whatever you want into it without upsetting the world a bit. But once you get going as a DM you start to ask questions like "how come these two neighboring countries get along when one would think they'd hate each other?" and things go downhill from there.

Dragonstar is cool, but I wish it was a little more developed and I have yet to check out the other non-traditional settings like Naymbe.

Just my two cents.

In the living or dead category I would have to go with Al-Quadim.

In the living category I have to side with Rokugan for low levels and Oathbound for high.

Really hoping that Diamond Throne will displace one of them, however.

Runners up are Forgotten Realms and Scarred Lands: Sooo much stuff!!

aurin777 said:
Iron Kingdoms! Iiiiiiirrrrooooon Kiiiiiiingdoms. Its golden. Take a look see at priveteerpress.com. You won't regret it.
~~Brandon

I sure wish those guys would stop messing around with figures ( aren't they nice though? ) and get on with publishing more d20 product.

3E Published campaign settings I like

Scarred Lands - Very plausible & versatile setting with lot's of material, although the character creation stuff is spread through out too many books to make it easy to get into

Midnight - looks really promising, but a little restricting ( PC's will likely be practical fugitives at all times ). Great magic system!

IK - Just the right amount of technology - but not nearly enough product support

FR - These WotC books are some of the deepest, prettiest books you will ever see. Anything goes in Faerun.

Arcanis - Very underrated, and I suspect severely under-distributed. A rich versatile setting that has very well written books. Some people may have passed on their stuff because the production quality is 2nd tier, but it's their loss.

Wayside

Explorer
Another vote for the dearly departed Al Qadim. Dark Sun too. As for in print settings, I would have to be general and say the whole World of Darkness, which can with a little work (or a little fudging) be played d20 style.

caudor

Adventurer
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Really hoping that Diamond Throne will displace one of them, however.

Diamond Throne?? I must have missed something big here. Who is making a campaign called Diamond Throne?

I'll have to go in search of info about this...

Starman

Adventurer
Diamond Throne is Monte Cook's campaign for Arcana Unearthed.

I have been blown away by Midnight since its release. I have read the whole thing once with many individual parts two or three times since its release. It has easily become my favorite published setting.

Starman

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads