• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite D&D Retroclone?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
ACKS and Beyond the Wall are my two favorites, for reason other posters have already explained. My BtW game is going quite well, which is a surprise to me, as I am not a natural OSR DM by any stretch.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Dark Dungeons (BECMI/RC clone; http://www.gratisgames.webspace.virginmedia.com/ )...it's what we're playing right now and have been for the last year or so (with a minor hiatus to other games for a session or three). I'm using Golarion as a campaign setting (Pathfinder setting), and running a modified/converted version of the Kingmaker adventure path. The PC's started off doing T1-4; Temple of Elemental Evil, and have no graduated to trying to track down their "arch-nemesis", Lareth the Beautiful. ...man they *hate* that guy...and they've never seen his face. Hated him after he and his minions in the moathouse dungeon killed them all, save one. Then Lareth set them up over the next few months to basically screw with the Temple...eventually setting them up to be unprepaired for facing Tsugtmoy...who kicked their butts...severely. He also managed to 'trap' them in the elemental nodes for over a year...using that time to pretty much ravage Homlett and the surrounding area, then take off.

Ahem...sorry...wandering there a bit. So, uh, yeah. Dark Dungeons. All the PC's in my group are now about level 14 and *still* hunting for Lareth the Beautiful. >:)

As for my AD&D clone...I don't use one. I just play AD&D. Still. Even after 32 years. Best. System. EVAAARRRR! ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Troll_Mage

First Post
For the four systems I bought (Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy, ACKS, and DCC), Goodman games DCC is hands down my favorite to run. The character generation funnel system, warrior mighty deeds die, the disfavor system for clerics - corruption for wizards, and random spell results for all casters, all come together to really make the system shine, and still deliver a very old school feel. I ran a sand box style campaign for a time and really enjoyed the flexibility of system.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have looked at a few but I liked ACKs the best and my players liked Myth and Magic which is kind of a 2nd and 3rd ed hybrid. In the weekend we converted our ACKs characters to Myth and Magic/2nd ed hybrid. Dwarven Vaultguard became Dwarven fighter sort of thing. Labyrinth Lord seems to be a improvement over BECMI and has AD&D influence.

I also bought the ACKs players companion which has 19 classes in it and things like the Paladin, Barbarian etc.

krayzdave

First Post
Basic Fantasy RPG by a landslide. I love its modularity. I hack this game to bits without disrupting anything I want to keep in tack. Also, there are a ton of supplements that you can plug and play very seemlessly. You also can't beat the print price (under $5) on Amazon. If you have Amazon Prime or you are buying more than $25 worth of stuff anyway, you don't have to pay shipping. I bought two BFRPG books the other day when I was buying some other stuff anyway. This makes it SUPER affordable to equip a table of players with books.

This said, OSRIC is an excellent product too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads