• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite pie?

kenobi65

First Post
RangerWickett said:
They say baking is a science.

There's truth to this. In cooking, you can fiddle with proportions all you want. Baking is chemistry, and if you fiddle with certain proportions, all you get is a mess.

I vote for pizza pie, btw. :D

grimwell

First Post
If anyone is really interested in the "baking = science" track I strongly recommend On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. This book takes the kitchen on with a labratory approach. The result of reading it is that you don't just learn what happens, but you understand why. It's very crunchy, but low on recipes... a great read and worth every penny!

As to what pie to make: Cherry. Best pie ever.

Pbartender

First Post
grimwell said:
If anyone is really interested in the "baking = science" track I strongly recommend On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. This book takes the kitchen on with a labratory approach. The result of reading it is that you don't just learn what happens, but you understand why. It's very crunchy, but low on recipes... a great read and worth every penny!

I'd also recommend Cookwise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed. Same sort of science cookbook, but has quite a few recipes in it... The recipes show you how and why to alter the proportions of ingredients to obtain different results.

Anyway, as far as fruit pies go, I like the tart ones best... Cherry, Lemon Merengue, Key Lime, certain kinds of Apple, and so on. I'm also very fond of Sweet Potato Pie, and simply can't pass up a slice of good Banana Cream Pie.

Extra sweet pies like Peach, Blueberry and many types of Apple just don't strike my fancy.

Being an American, I have less experience with meat pies, outside of pot pies (chicken, turkey or beef... homemade is best) and shepherd's pie.

Aurora

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Thing is, I'm not a huge apple pie fan. The apple pies I like have really small pieces of apple, and much more of the goo (I believe that's the technical term for it). I don't like chomping into massive slices of apple in my pies.

But of the fruit pies, I suppose I like apple best. I'm glad so far no one has suggested peach cobbler. Uff da.
I also prefer my apple pie gooey with the apples cut up in little pieces or in really thin slices rather than the traditional thick slices.

Pbartender

First Post
Aurora said:
I also prefer my apple pie gooey with the apples cut up in little pieces or in really thin slices rather than the traditional thick slices.

See... I'm the other way around. I like my apples pies "Al Dente", with thick, solid chunks of tart apple. I can't stand apple pies with filling that's consistancy of syrupy apple sauce. :p

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
French Silk Pie.

On another note, I am generally not a pie fan. Fruit should not be cooked under any circumstance. :)

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot Fried Banana taste good. Heck, fried anything tastes good. :)

Templetroll

Explorer
'k, Pumpkin, Apple, Cherry, Pecan, sweet potato...

Key Lime. very nice stuff.

"Pi aren't square. Pie are round;cake are square." ;)

Last edited:

Mycanid

First Post
My mom always prepared a special dessert pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It really is very simple.

1. Line a glass baking pie dish with graham cracker crust.

2. Get some pumpkin pie filling

3. Get some cookies and cream ice cream.

4. Blend the pumpkin pie filling with the ice cream.

5. Add spices as desired (like nutmeg or what not).

6. Chill the mixture in the glass pie dish. Usually takes 4 to 5 hours.

7. Serve. This was (and is) my favorite holiday desert!

Lemon meringue is good, but a *real* key lime pie beats it hands down. I'm also fond of French Silk and Bostom Cream pies. I made a wicked Turtle Pie for a friend for her birthday.

All things considered, though, I'm not a big fan of fruit pies. Apple is good so long as its right out of the oven, but other than that I'm usually 'meh'. And I despise pumpkin pie.

Jesus_marley

First Post
For dessert pies..... Strawberry rhubarb, or Gooseberry. Pumpkin is also nice. My GF being from Newfoundland, swears by Bakeapple pies.

as for other pies... Rabbit is always good. Mince meat is good too (I mean REAL mincemeat)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads