• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Favorite scenes from cartoons? [spoilers]

Samurai Jack: in the cemetery fight, when the shot goes to slow-mo widescreen... *vertical* widescreen.

Trigun: when Wolfwood dies in the chuch

Trigun: when Vash is forced to kill Legato... no gunshot sound

Cowboy Bebop: "you know why I carry this coffin around?!"

Xmen cartoon (old one): intro

Gargoyles: the music in the intro when they pan up to the castle atop the skyscraper

Inuyasha: pretty much anything involving Sesshoumaru, or Ryukotsusei

Lodoss War: when the ridiculously large red dragon shows up

Escaflowne: Balgus' sword

s/LaSH

First Post
Digimon, season 3 (I think, they numbered them kinda funny - the first season to be unconnected with the previous ones). The kids have entered the digital world and are close to the Phoenix Sovereign's palace. They've gone through a lot together. They've grown as people, overcome obstacles internal and external, they're nearly ready to save the world. Then Beelzemon shows up - the little annoying Impmon who got sick of being useless and pretty much sold his soul to darkness in return for a Mega digivolution. And everything goes to Hell.
He kills Leomon brutally with a hand through the chest, watching as he slowly disintegrates, putting his trainer in a state of trauma she doesn't leave until the season ends, and then Guilmon digivolves into something utterly hideous to stop him - but at what cost?
That whole multi-episode scene is probably the high point of the high series of a cartoon I rank very highly.

DragonBall Z:

Goku's first transformation to Super Saiyan. I knew it was coming, and I've watched it several times, but when Krillin dies, Goku starts shaking, the lightning starts coming out of the clouds... it sends a shiver down my spine.

And the Japanese version of Gohan's first transformation to Super 2. Fighting Cell, Gohan's been holding back, because he doesn't really like fighting (despite being a walking nuclear arsenal, and despite Cell's spawn doing their best to kill everyone he's ever loved at that moment). Then Android 16 jumps Cell, intending to self-destruct and take the monster with him - but because the good guys didn't trust him, they'd removed his explosives and never told him, so Cell smacks him to pieces. Gohan looks on in horror as the android's head thuds to the ground, still alive. "Gohan," he says, "l-look after the birds I love so much." And Cell laughs, crushing 16 beneath his foot. Umei No Hi kicks in, Gohan stares for a moment, the image of a bird flies away on the screen, and he explodes with one of those screams in a pillar of golden fire while the ground around him buckles. Cell looks worried for the first time. Episode ends with Gohan spitting lightning, staring...

The next fight is pretty cool, too. The whole thing is really well-done.

Chorn

First Post
Two episodes of Futurama. Not surprisingly, both of them are about things from Fry's life in the 20th century.

"The Luck of the Fryrish" has Fry believing his brother stole his name and lucky seven leaf clover becoming the first man to land on Mars. In the end, he discovers that nothing was stolen. His brother Yancy named his son Philip to honor the memory of his little brother.

"Jurassic Bark" features a reunion between Fry and the fossilized remains of his dog Seymour. Professor Farnsworth discovers that there's enough DNA to make a clone of Seymour complete with all his old memories. However, Fry decides not to proceed with the cloning when he finds that Seymour lived a good twelve years after Fry was cryogenically frozen. He probably forgot all about Fry afterwards. Fry knew Seymour when he was three and that's when he loved him. But the flashback shows that Seymour never did forget him. Fry told him to wait for him at the pizzeria on that fateful night, and there he waited and waited as the years passed by in a montage set to "I Will Wait For You."

I'm just a sucker for stories like these. Now excuse me, I have to go cry now. :(

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
I'd like to add in "Full Metal Alchemist", which has numerous scenes but one that comes to mind is how the brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric manage to take a train back from some terrorists through the use of alchemy (Edward) and brute force (Alphonse) tho the scenes between the brothers are also touching (Al is trapped inside a suit of armor while guilt gnaws at Ed, who now has a metal arm and leg from the same mishap).

"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something. You must present something of equal value to gain something. That is the principle of equivalent trade in alchemy. We believed that was the truth of the world when we were young." --Alphonse Elric

Felix

Explorer
You people! This is the 35th post and the first mention of the SIMPSONS???

Of the 15 finished seasons, my all-time favorite moment:
April Fools day. Bart takes a can of Homer's beer and puts it in a paint shaker. He watches Homer start to open it. "April Foo--- shaBOOOOOOOOOM" As the camera zooms out to see a beer-mushroom cloud rise over Sprinfield. That kills me.

Family Guy:
Peter is getting in touch with his feminine side after sensitivity training *cough*brainwashing*cough*, so he decides to nurse Stewie. Stewie is asleep, so he just starts sucking on that nipple. His eyes open slowly and he stops, realizing he has a hair in the back of his mouth. Hair... from Peter's nipples.

The look of dawning realization on Stewie's face is comic genius.

Last edited:

Remove ads