• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Feint for ranged attacks or turn a ray into a melee touch attack?

Slaved

First Post
Is there a feat or item that allows a character to either make a feint at range or to turn a ray attack into a melee touch attack?

Well, the easiest way I know of is to just use 3.0 rules. IIRC*, 3.0 didn't specify that feinting only applied to melee attacks.

As to how to do it in 3.5, I'm less sure. I seem to remember a PrC in Complete Warrior or Complete Adventure that granted the ability, but IDHTBRIFOM.

*EDIT: Just found a copy of the 3.0 SRD and verified that feinting used to work on any attack.

Last edited:

lukelightning

First Post
The Master Thrower PrC has special "weapon tricks" that can do both: One trick you spend a move action and if your sleight of hand beats the targets spot check they are flat footed, and there is another trick that turns your thrown attack into a touch attack.

rgard

Adventurer
Slaved said:
Is there a feat or item that allows a character to either make a feint at range or to turn a ray attack into a melee touch attack?

There's a third party feat that allows you to convert a ranged touch attack into a melee touch attack. You reduce the spell level by 1. Kinda cool.

I can try to find which product it's in if you want.

Thanks,
Rich

DungeonMaester

First Post
CS has 'skill tricks' that if you can make a spot= enemy ac then your attack is a touch. I don't have the book on me so I don't know if it applies to melee only.

---Rusty

rgard said:
There's a third party feat that allows you to convert a ranged touch attack into a melee touch attack. You reduce the spell level by 1. Kinda cool.

Reduces the spell level by 1? That seems like a slipperly slope to me. I'm not so sure I like the idea of a Cantrip of Enfeeblement, a 1st level Scorching Touch, or a Quickened Disintegrating Touch.

I'd probably make such a feat have no effect on spell level, and make sure it a was general feat (not metamagic). For characters that need it for feint or other purposes it'd still be worth it, and it wouldn't screw spontaneous casters.

rgard

Adventurer
Deset Gled said:
Reduces the spell level by 1? That seems like a slipperly slope to me. I'm not so sure I like the idea of a Cantrip of Enfeeblement, a 1st level Scorching Touch, or a Quickened Disintegrating Touch.

I'd probably make such a feat have no effect on spell level, and make sure it a was general feat (not metamagic). For characters that need it for feint or other purposes it'd still be worth it, and it wouldn't screw spontaneous casters.

I kinda remember that the mimimum level may have been 1, but that would still leave you with a first level scorching touch.

I'll try to find it.

Thanks,
Rich

Slaved

First Post
Thanks for the help everyone, unfortunately multiclassing is not an option currently though. :(

rgard, have you found out where that feat is by chance? That might work!

rgard

Adventurer
Slaved said:
Thanks for the help everyone, unfortunately multiclassing is not an option currently though. :(

rgard, have you found out where that feat is by chance? That might work!

Hi Slaved. I'm not near my pdfs right now. I'll try to find it and post back here by Monday.

Thanks,
Rich

Remove ads