• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fellow PC with an unfortunate name

Pentius

First Post
I think you need to stick it to him to play along, this isn't worth pulling your hair over. Don't bring it out in the open, but make as many subtextual jokes as you can bare.

Actually, we're a bunch of 30-year-olds snickering at dirty jokes.

It's somewhat depressing, actually. Especially given the way my wife tends to lead the race into the gutter.

The difference between telling dirty jokes at 13 and telling them at 30 is that at 30, you're not supposed to tell them to 13 year olds. Other than that, the rules about dirty joking we all learned in middle school still apply.

Quickleaf

Legend
I think you need to stick it to him to play along, this isn't worth pulling your hair over. Don't bring it out in the open, but make as many subtextual jokes as you can bare.
Unfortunately I've decided the only way our game can go forward is if I directly confront this player, but Ive decided to send an email first so he can save face.

How does this look as a first draft of an email?

-----------------------------------------------

Dear fellow player,

I don't normally get bent out of shape about this sort of thing, but I need to bring up an issue that's left a bad taste in my mouth: your PC's name. Biggus Dickus, really? Your disregard for your DM and fellow player's immersive fun is unacceptable, and, frankly, I'm tempted to lay this bare before the rest of the group. If we were just hanging out, I wouldnt have a problem with your obvious Life of Brian reference, but this is D&D! Theres a veneral tradition here so show some respect!

However, because I don't want to prematurely cause a problem, and laying the bald truth out there to the group might be too aggressive, I wanted to resolve this by email. It's not just your PC's name that that's hard to swallow, it's your entire approach that makes me think your PC is just an excuse to be a pain in the ass. You don't talk in character, you either want to kill or ravage every NPC we meet, and your rape jokes are sophomoric and offensive. And besides we have ladies at the table; how do you think they feel having to handle your obnoxious PC? Personally I don't feel up to dealing with your PC next session - he just takes up too much space and there's no room for the rest of us, who actually *want* to role-play!

I think you need to take a penetrating look at your contribution to our group. The next time you feel like whipping out a disgraceful joke name from your pocket, pull yourself together and think of the rest of your party. For your edification, I've started a thread at ENWorld where several members have slapped together a great list of alternate names for your PC.

The long and short of it is: Don't be a dick!

See you Friday :)

- Aaron

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Including a link to this thread would be a good idea.

Continuing the fun:

Major Rod Riser

Pole Anderson

Last edited:

Pentius

First Post
Unfortunately I've decided the only way our game can go forward is if I directly confront this player, but Ive decided to send an email first so he can save face.

How does this look as a first draft of an email?

-----------------------------------------------

Dear fellow player,

I don't normally get bent out of shape about this sort of thing, but I need to bring up an issue that's left a bad taste in my mouth: your PC's name. Biggus Dickus, really? Your disregard for your DM and fellow player's immersive fun is unacceptable, and, frankly, I'm tempted to lay this bare before the rest of the group. If we were just hanging out, I wouldnt have a problem with your obvious Life of Brian reference, but this is D&D! Theres a veneral tradition here so show some respect!

However, because I don't want to prematurely cause a problem, and laying the bald truth out there to the group might be too aggressive, I wanted to resolve this by email. It's not just your PC's name that that's hard to swallow, it's your entire approach that makes me think your PC is just an excuse to be a pain in the ass. You don't talk in character, you either want to kill or ravage every NPC we meet, and your rape jokes are sophomoric and offensive. And besides we have ladies at the table; how do you think they feel having to handle your obnoxious PC? Personally I don't feel up to dealing with your PC next session - he just takes up too much space and there's no room for the rest of us, who actually *want* to role-play!

I think you need to take a penetrating look at your contribution to our group. The next time you feel like whipping out a disgraceful joke name from your pocket, pull yourself together and think of the rest of your party. For your edification, I've started a thread at ENWorld where several members have slapped together a great list of alternate names for your PC.

The long and short of it is: Don't be a dick!

See you Friday :)

- Aaron

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, this advice sounds odd to give, but here goes.

That is a rational, mature letter. I can't help but think that if you send it to the type of person who plays a half-orc ladykiller named Biggus Dickus, you will come off like an insufferable twit. My advice: New letter.

Dude,

The ****, man? Biggus Dickus, really? I mean, it was funny for like, a minute, but it was already old by the time you said it. Can we just get our roleplay on, already?

Remove ads