Fellowship of the Witching Hour - Part I

kookalouris

First Post
Welcoming a welcome addition...

Sam eagerly shook the hand of the newcomer. Originally grateful for the distraction, Samantha was liking Cara more and more. Sam hid the sigh of relief at Cara's using her less well-known surname and nodded enthusiastically.

Phillip's comments worried Sam. Right now, both the bar and the group could use more warm bodies, psychic or not. But she couldn't say Phillip was wrong and this group needed its 'doubting Thomas,' as much as the believers, maybe more.

All thoughts of this vanished at Cara's question to Adam and Arabella. Her jealous mind wondered if the cad had two girlfriends...

[SBLOCK=post-related OOC]
I'm enjoying the interaction of Cara and the other members of the group. So this post is happily passive and observant. It allows me to put a few more of Sam's thoughts on display. As regards Elisse, yes, the Kansas farmgirl can be that naive about the nature of Adam and Elisse's 'romance.'

Feedback is always welcome.

P.S. Should it appeal to both David and Greenstar, Sam would certainly allow Arabella to have a 'fortune-telling' booth in the bar. Arabella would keep all of the profits. Sam would benefit by Arabella's clients being in the bar. Of course, this is up to the players. And Arabella might consider the offer insulting (Sam wouldn't make the offer if she thought that would be the case but Sam isn't the best with social graces).

Gerry
[/SBLOCK]

greenstar

First Post
Arabella blushes at the thought of someone thinking she and Adam were together. "Oh no we're not together. I mean he's a nice guy but we're just friends."

Dire Lemming

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Oog, the the contents of the thin cardboard boxes is probably going to make Sam even more jealous...[/sblock]

Adam feels a slight shiver run down his spine from the place where Cara touches him, and finds himself unable to do much more than sit back down again until he hears Phillip's tactless question.

Having apparently headed off the tension between them for the time being is faced once again with an awkward position with him in the spotlight now. He looks bewildered for a moment and then starts to chuckle slightly, and speaks at the exact same time Arabella does.

"Oh no, w- er..." He waits for the young woman to finish. "Well yes, that's right... heh. Arabella is a lovely woman, but no. I don't think I'm even her type." He gives a short nervous glance in Sam's direction then pretends to be watching patrons.

Lucean

First Post
Phillip held his eyes in Cara's as they shook until she looked Adam. Drawing back his hand, Phillip clicked his tongue softly as he leaned backwards on his seat, fetching the cup of water to his hand. Waiting to see the reactions from both Adam and Arabella, Phillip spoke with a deep, soft voice.

"I have heard that charlatans posing as psychics often have an excellent ability to read a room, both the people in them, their reactions and the relationship's between them in it, using that to their advantage in fooling them." He twirled the glass slightly in his hand, his eyes still on Cara. "So, either you have a terrible skill in such reading, being thus the real deal, or then you are quite masterful in it, creating an awkward situation for three people in this company without even truly strive for it. All the while avoiding answering two rather simple questions I posed for you." Phillip took a sip of the water.

"Of course the question then turns to why not simply lie, as it would be an extremely simple matter to do with those two. I was however once told that a good charlatan always avoids telling lies, especially the simple ones, as they easily come back to haunt one, either by leaving details exposed that can be proven false or by revealing something of the charlatan, be it fictious or real." The fingers on his left hand ran on the surface of the cane. "So, I shall ask again and expect an answer of somekind this time, or this company shall be one person poorer soon after it." Phillip tilted his head slightly right, his gaze once again searching Cara's eyes.

"Where did you hear tell of us and for what do you need us for?"

Dlsharrock

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC Everyone]
Kookalouris said:
Should it appeal to both David and Greenstar, Sam would certainly allow Arabella to have a 'fortune-telling' booth in the bar. Arabella would keep all of the profits. Sam would benefit by Arabella's clients being in the bar. Of course, this is up to the players. And Arabella might consider the offer insulting (Sam wouldn't make the offer if she thought that would be the case but Sam isn't the best with social graces).

Whether greenstar likes the idea or not, I think the average university student would leap at the chance to earn some extra 'beer money'. It is really up to greenstar though, and how she views her own characterisation of Arabella. Her psychic talents may be too personal to sell to strangers in some (sorry Sam) seedy bar.

Greenstar?
[/SBLOCK]"Well well," she smiles at Adam again, all perfectly aligned teeth and ruby red lipstick. "Handsome, chivalrous *and* single. And...wait... don't tell me, rich beyond my wildest dreams? Let me guess - you sell real estate for millions and attend psychic discussion groups in your spare time? That really is a guess, honey. I'm not about to pry, unless you want me to that is." She exhales a stream of smoke which wafts past Adam's ear, carrying with it the scent of Cara's perfume.

Anybody paying attention would notice the smoke is blown with enough force to pass both Adam and Arabella and wreath Philip in a dirge of nicotene mist.

In the far corner of the bar, Chatanooga Choo Choo reaches an end. The ambient chatter of drinkers punctuates the quiet while the juke box lines up the next record: Ernest Tubb singing 'Walking the Floor Over You'.

OOC: It seems Lucean and I posted simultaneously. I've edited this to include a response to Lucean, though I'm moving Philip's response forward somewhat as it disrupts the flow of coversation where it naturally falls and there was obviously some confusion with Lucean's rolls equalling his turn in the sequence. I think most players assumed that was Lucean's turn, while I think Lucean assumed it was OOC. So...

BIC
Cara Welsh said:
"Handsome, chivalrous *and* single. And...wait... don't tell me, rich beyond my wildest dreams? Let me guess - you sell real estate for millions and attend psychic discussion groups in your spare time? That really is a guess, honey. I'm not about to pry, unless you want me to that is."
Before Adam can answer, Dr Philip speaks up:

Dr Philip LeGraid said:
"I have heard that charlatans posing as psychics often have an excellent ability to read a room, both the people in them, their reactions and the relationship's between them in it, using that to their advantage in fooling them." He twirled the glass slightly in his hand, his eyes still on Cara. "So, either you have a terrible skill in such reading, being thus the real deal, or then you are quite masterful in it, creating an awkward situation for three people in this company without even truly strive for it. All the while avoiding answering two rather simple questions I posed for you." Phillip took a sip of the water.
"Well now," Cara smiles, pats Adam on the knee and shifts all her attention to the Doctor, "excuse me honey, me and Mr X here have unfinished business it seems."

Dr Philip LeGraid said:
"Of course the question then turns to why not simply lie, as it would be an extremely simple matter to do with those two. I was however once told that a good charlatan always avoids telling lies, especially the simple ones, as they easily come back to haunt one, either by leaving details exposed that can be proven false or by revealing something of the charlatan, be it fictious or real." The fingers on his left hand ran on the surface of the cane. "So, I shall ask again and expect an answer of somekind this time, or this company shall be one person poorer soon after it." Phillip tilted his head slightly right, his gaze once again searching Cara's eyes.

"Where did you hear tell of us and for what do you need us for?"
Cara blinks but the smile remains in force, "sharp as a button honey. Sharp as a button." Her eyes click from Philip to Arabella, to Adam, then to Sam. "You'll forgive me all, I hope, I meant no harm by my barging in on your little... soiree. But Mr X here is right. I'm not being entirely up front, and for that I apologise."

She gives a little whistle and from behind the shadow of a nearby pillar steps a wide shouldered Chinaman dressed in a tight fitting checked shirt and a green dickie bow. He wears a skull cap and spectacles. Around his neck hangs a camera. Though his expression is somewhat meek, he looks capable of snapping trees with his bare hands.

"This is Chen, just in case anyone gets any funny ideas. He's my photographer, but he's also quite protective of me. An impulsive sort, if you know what I mean." She stubs out her cigarette. "My name really is Cara Welsh, but I'm not psychic. The truth is, I don't usually get what I need if I tell everyone I'm a reporter for the Arkham Gazette, so I've developed this nasty little habit of telling everyone something else instead."

"To answer your questions, Mr X, someone called the paper, a right thinking, God-fearing visitor to your lovely little corner of town who overheard one of your morbid little meet-ups. And there've been rumours besides. Ugly rumours. As to what I need, I don't. But I think you can guess what I *want*. The public's a hungry animal, Mr X. Like me, they want facts, not rumours. So maybe I should drop the malarkey and cut straight to the chase. I already have names, and Chen here's got a helluva memory when it comes to faces. So... what exactly are you people up to?"

Last edited:

Lucean

First Post
[SBLOCK=Just to check]

Just wanted to make certain to have Phillip respond in my reply accordingly This the last post featuring Cara take place after Adam's answer and before Phillip's loooong question or is Cara ignoring the question posed by Phillip?

And damn you for poisoning my character so soon in the game with second-hand smoke. As in average bar at that time it would have been almost impossible to run across it in any other way.

[/SBLOCK]

Dlsharrock

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC Everyone/Lucean]Yes, we posted simultaneously. I've made an edit to my last post. Please, everyone, roll with the changes. And yes, looks like Philip managed to survive all that perilous background story only to die of passive smoking in the fourth page of the first thread ;)[/SBLOCK]
[SBLOCK=OOC Additional]Also, just to ensure the same misunderstanding doesn't occur, could everyone ensure that if they post OOC comments in their turn sequence that they add something to the effect 'please continue the sequence' so the next player knows it wasn't just out-of-sequence OOC. Thanks all.

Edit: actually, it's probably best if you ensure you don't just post OOC comments when its your turn in the sequence as that is an intrinsically confusing thing for a player, who should be posting at least some small amount of IC, to do. If you have a solely OOC comment to make, please reserve it for some place in the turn sequence that *isn't* your turn. If that makes no sense, please ask me to clarify and I'll pay Kook to rephrase it :)[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

greenstar

First Post
[sblock=OOC]That's a good idea. She could have a dedicated clientele. But I think her other abilities are too personal for anyone except the group to know about. She could charge 5 bucks to do tarot cards at a table in the corner.[/sblock]

Dire Lemming

First Post
[sblock=OOC] Five dollars seems like an awful lot.

Is Phillip usually this rude? I mean sure he was right this time but we would have figured it out pretty soon if she was willing to admit it so easily.[/sblock]

Remove ads