• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fellowship of the Witching Hour - Part I

Dlsharrock

First Post
EDIT: initiative confusion :) I played Cara instead of Adam.

OOC
Go on with the sequence. Adam stays out of the conversation for now.

Last edited:

Lucean

First Post
"True, there might not be a sign outside, but the interior is a different thing. For one to be outraged by us a having an occult discussion here is the same as going to the public library and being astonished at hearing people speak of literature. This man who is your source seems to raise more questions than our talks, yet here you are, sitting obediently. I guess it's a good thing I never really cared for your newspaper, it's journalistic values seem to rather lacking." Phillip looked at Sam, then at Cara, then back to Sam, listening to her comments.

"Then why need us, Sam. I'm certain that this interprid reporter will be glad to do a story about this bar and it would give it more of a showing, to support your lifelyhood. I however would see it rather selfish to ask the two of us to become figures in a story after expressing doubts of it just to allow you to sell a couple of drinks more. People don't exactly flock to architecths who are associated with the arcane and heathen practices, now do they?"

Dlsharrock

First Post
Sam said:
"So, I vote yes for you being a part of the group, at least for tonight, or until there is a reason to feel otherwise. If the group feels differently, I will respect their privacy."
"A part of the...?" Cara glances at the Chinaman, who shrugs in puzzlement. She bursts out laughing and wags her cigarette at Sam, "oh, that's funny. You've got a real way with brightening up a room there toots. But if you'll let me tag along tonight, that'd be just dandy. Go ahead. Act natural. Pretend I'm not here."

Philip said:
This man who is your source seems to raise more questions than our talks, yet here you are, sitting obediently. I guess it's a good thing I never really cared for your newspaper, it's journalistic values seem to rather lacking."
Cara chuckles, shakes her head and takes a notepad and pencil from her pocket, scribbling something down. "Why Mr Grumpy Bear, I do believe you're trying to draw me into an argument. But I couldn't possibly start defending the paper. Not my job, y'see. That's for lawyers and editors."

Arabella said:
"Are there any more questions?"
"No, no, honey" Cara smiles, licking the nib of her pencil, "you kids go on as if I'm not here." She looks up at the Chinaman, "why don't you go get some fresh air, Chen. You're crowdin' these good folks."

"But I not finish my drink, and it cold outside" he replies, grinning at Sam.

"Warm up the car. Get yourself a bottle to go" Cara admonishes, slapping the Chinaman lightly with her notepad. He leaves, grumbling as he heads off into the gloom of the bar.

As Philip begins debating with Sam, Cara starts taking notes.

kookalouris

First Post
Sam inhaled to angrily retort Phillip but she realized the man was right, at least to a point. More measured, she said as calmly as she could.

"You're right, Phillip, I was primarily thinking of my bar. I have not only myself but several hungry and hard-working crew to feed. So trying to increase sales is a little more serious than 'just a few drinks.'"

"But I wasn't just thinking of the bar. I honestly think publicity will help the group. More publicity should mean more members, more information, more sources."

"But I can't speak for the entire group, none of us can. Eventually it will come down to a vote on whether Cara and Chen should stay. I vote yes but will certainly respect a 'no.' And if the vote is no, then I will consider any further discussion of the group 'off limits' when I talk to Cara."

"In fact, I am ready to vote now, if the rest of you are. Or is there more to say?"

"In the meantime, I will show Mr. Chen out."
Sam gets up to help the man, secretly hoping to have some kind of revealing conversation.

[SBLOCK=OOC related to this post]
How are decisions made in the Witching Hour group? Roberts' Rules of Order, simple vote, something else entirely? I give permission to David to amend my post as needed. Sam's intent is to put what 'legitimate' power she has to allowing Cara to stay. Sam won't cheat or go beyond what the group's charter allows. And she will respect the group's privacy should that be the group's decision.

Sam will be willing to walk Mr. Chen all of the way to his car but hopes she can talk him into staying in a different part of the bar so Sam can learn more about this encounter from a different character.
[/SBLOCK]

Dlsharrock

First Post
OOC: Greenstar's turn next
[SBLOCK=OOC Everyone]Decision making: well, you could either use the vote as you just did, or you could keep it strictly IC and reach decisions as you would in real life. If you'd start a vote in real life, maybe Sam would too :) It seems to fit this situation quite nicely actually as Sam's purvaying over a potentially delicate conversation and it's her bar. A vote might not be appropriate in all situations, you might sometimes just want to let decision making fall to a general consensus. Then again, a vote might give you a faster result than the toing and froing of discussion and I'm sure everyones' eager to get onto one of those juicy rumours ;)

I don't think the vote will go Cara's way :) Especially as Sam is planning to leave Philip and Arabella alone with the reporter!

Btw: we have a new recruit who should be visiting the Witching Hour shortly :)
[/SBLOCK]
[SBLOCK=OOC Kookalouris]One thing: Sam can't really preside over a vote concerning Cara *and* follow Chen straight away. I'd suggest the Chimaman has gone to buy himself a beer to go, so he'll probably be at the bar for a few minutes at least. Depending on how the other players' posts go and whether the vote evolves into discussion. Sam can always excuse herself. When she does wander off we'll play the IC aspects in private SBLOCKs, keeping in turn sequence.[/SBLOCK]

greenstar

First Post
Arabella knows how someone can be misquoted in the newspaper but since Sam wants more publicity for the bar and the group decides to go along with it. "We were talking about rumours of ghost cars and missing people before you came. Since you're here I guess we should ask you, have you heard anything about it?

Dlsharrock

First Post
[SBLOCK=Initiative reminder]
Here's the current initiative sequence:

Greenstar as Arabella
Lucean as Philip
Dlsharrock as Keeper
Kookalouris as Sam[/SBLOCK]

Adam finishes his drink and announces that he's leaving. He seems tired and professes to having an early start the next day.

[SBLOCK=OOC Everyone]I'm probably going to write Adam out like this. I've lost interest in NPCing him and don't really know what to do with him otherwise. Kook, if you want to use him as a bit-part player in Sam's ongoing story then please feel free. For now I'm removing Adam from the game.

Lucean, it's your turn next.[/SBLOCK]

Bialaska

First Post
There's the sound of a door opening and another person steps into the Witching Hour. It is a newcomer, a middleaged woman, perhaps around the age of 40, dressed in a black dress revealing only her hands and her head. She carries a dark grey umbrella. The woman takes a quick glance around, studying all of those in the room for a few seconds, her face remaining emotionless. Finally she moves into the Witching Hour and seeks out a seat for herself.

[SBLOCK=OOC Everyone]Hello everyone, I'm the new player of the game. I'll be playing the character that you've gotten an impression from above. :D [/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Lucean

First Post
Phillip glanced at Arabella with disbelief in his eyes, then leaned forward, his head pressed down and the cane in his eyes.

"I see my concerns have fallen to deaf ears. So, if you two ladies do not mind-" Phillip pushed himself to a standing position, pressing his leg to the ground so that it would straighten. "I shall leave you two to speak with all your hearts content as I go out to catch some air. Maybe you can even give her a reading, Arabelle, if you remembered to bathe your cards in the blood of virgins earlier today?"

Taking his coat from the arm of the chair Phillip started to limp towards the door, not even glancing back.

kookalouris

First Post
[SBLOCK=Hi, Blalaska! Game question for all.]
First off...

Hello, Blalaska! Welcome to the game.

David, Scoobies,

Where does Blalaska fit in the new initiative scheme? I don't want to steal her thunder.
[/SBLOCK]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads