Field Runner

Crothian

First Post
Field Runner

Field Runners run. They enjoy running through the fields, the woods, the undergrowth, everything. The Tarkins use them to relay messages between the different tribes. Other civilizations hire them to deliver messages when other ways are not available. They are know for getting past any obstacle and enjoy the challenge. Philipidies was a Field Runner and a model for this class..

Prerequisites:
Climb: 3 ranks
Intuit Direction: 8 ranks
Jump: 3 ranks
Knowledge: Tribes 3 ranks
Swim: 3 ranks
Wilderness Lore 3 ranks
Feats: Endurance, Run

HD: d12

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +0 +2 +0 +0 Improved Endurance, +10 Base Speed, Tribal Lore
2 +1 +3 +0 +0 Defensive Run 1/day
3 +2 +3 +1 +1 Jumping Ability
4 +3 +4 +1 +1 Climbing Ability
5 +3 +4 +1 +1 Defensive Run 2/day
6 +4 +5 +2 +2 Sprint
7 +5 +5 +2 +2 Swimming Ability
8 +6 +6 +2 +2 Defensive Run 3/day
9 +6 +6 +3 +3 +2 Constitution
10 +7 +7 +3 +3 Field Runner

Weapons and Armor: Runners do not gain proficiency in any of these.

Skill Points per level: 4 + Int
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Handle Animal (Cha), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge:tribes (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Wilderness Lore (Wis)

Improved Endurance: The runner gets an additional +1 to all Endurance checks for each level of Field Runner he has; this stacks with the endurance feat.

Tribal Lore: The Runners pick up lotos of little facts and bits of knowleddge from their many travels. Anytime they need to know anything about the tribes, their history, the lands of Takin, or the people involved they can make a Tribal Lore Check. This check is a d20 + Int modifier + Runner Level.

DC 10: Common Know, something known by a substantial minority of the people/

DC 20: Uncommon but availible. Known to at least a few people in every tribe.

DC 25: Obscure, known by only a selct few.

DC 30: Extremely Obscure, known only but a very select few or possible a bit of forgotten lore.

Defensive Run: 1/day they may make a Defensive Run. The Runner moves as if making a full run. He no longer loses his Dexteriy bonus to AC while running. He also gets a +4 dodge bonus to AC. He can do this for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution Modifier +3. This cannot be combined with a sprint ability.

Jumping Ability: The Runner adds his level to all jump checks and is no longer limited to how far he can jump.

Climbing Ability: The Runner adds his level to all Climb checks. He no longer loses his AC while climbing and opponents do not get a bonus to attack while climbing.

Sprint: Runners can increase their base speed by four times for one round per point of constitution. This can only be done once a day.

Swimming Ability: The Runner may add his Level to all Swimming checks. He also get the feat Improved Swimming when he meats the requirements.

Field Runner: This is the ability Field Runners are known for. They reduce the penalty for over land movement by 50% when they go through tough to travel areas. They also no longer leave any sort of tracks and are not slowed by thorns or other natural plant growths.

Last edited:

Limper

First Post
Seems balanced if a bit quirky, give em a good reflex progression and it'd be square.

What are you planning to do with this?

Crothian

First Post
Limper said:
Seems balanced if a bit quirky, give em a good reflex progression and it'd be square.

What are you planning to do with this?

Like I said I got the idea from Philipideas and yes that is horrible misspelled. He was the guy who ran from Sparta to marathon to spread the news of the victory and then died. Something like that.

What am I going to do with them? THey are going to be trhe lines of comminications through my many barbarian tribes. THe tribes are much more civilizied and orginized then anyone imagines. They choose to live like they do. They see no point to settling down, becoming soft, farm the land, and create dirty cities. They perfer to be nomadic and to hunt.

Magic communication is the most efficient way, but it is not always availible. So, these guys get used to deliver messages and report happens froim tribe to tribe. It's still an idea ion progress. THanks for the suggestions.

Limper

First Post
Ahhhhh given that I'd add Knowledge (local area, or clans and liniages(sp)) to the list of skills AND some sort of Bardic Lore ability. As the lines of communication between scattered tribes and clans knowing whos who and picking up trivia would add a little useful edge to the class.

And until I saw your spelling I probably could have spelled it for you. Wow what a vivid imprinting misspelled word.

Crothian

First Post
Limper said:
Ahhhhh given that I'd add Knowledge (local area, or clans and liniages(sp)) to the list of skills AND some sort of Bardic Lore ability. As the lines of communication between scattered tribes and clans knowing whos who and picking up trivia would add a little useful edge to the class.

And until I saw your spelling I probably could have spelled it for you. Wow what a vivid imprinting misspelled word.

Good ideas. I'll incorperate some of those and see what we get.

Limper

First Post
Cut, Paste, Print..... a class I'd play. Good work.

At level two: defensive run: normally at a full run (4 or 5x base speed) you loose your dex bonus. Which would normaly include any dodge bonus (running makes you flatfooted) so I'd call this by a different bonus or add that for this amount of time you get your dex bonus as well. I think it would still be balanced.

Crothian

First Post
Limper said:
Cut, Paste, Print..... a class I'd play. Good work.

At level two: defensive run: normally at a full run (4 or 5x base speed) you loose your dex bonus. Which would normaly include any dodge bonus (running makes you flatfooted) so I'd call this by a different bonus or add that for this amount of time you get your dex bonus as well. I think it would still be balanced.

good point I forgot about that. be right back, need to edit that thing again. While you wait, feel free to reread my Healer class and help it along. :D

milo

First Post
I think the improved endurance ability should be spread out more than just 1st level. Other than that it looks good.

Remove ads