• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Fighter brainstorm

Pauln6

Hero
ok, but for one the combat feats are getting changed anyway, so that point might not even be relevant anymore. second off, who says that shove would always be your best option with this feature? maybe you're fighting an enemy with a really strong magic weapon. boom, disarm is the better option. heck, with intimidation, maybe you want something to back off but don't want to get in its reach - boom, intimidation is better.

and yeah, riders are another option.
I think if the weapons and feats are tweaked to open up more design space that would be cool. I'm actually in favour there being class related options for inspiration to make that more tactical and interesting too.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
That just means they won't pass out before the teacher notices.

I'm not sure I understand that response.

Aren't the larger HP pool of martials meant to represent attacks having less effect on them? You know, as if they know some basic tricks for avoiding attacks that wizards didn't learn in their libraries.

Pauln6

Hero

Aren't the larger HP pool of martials meant to represent attacks having less effect on them? You know, as if they know some basic tricks for avoiding attacks that wizards didn't learn in their libraries.
Correct but there is a long history of players struggling with the abstract nature of hp. Don't mention inspi*****nal healing...

Incenjucar

Legend

While obviously I'm being jokey about the swirlies, I am basically describing making the fighter prone, restrained, grappled and pulled, lifted into the air upside down, and then dunked into a terrain hazard. HP aren't really the factor outside of trying to stab the attackers.

Bill Zebub

While obviously I'm being jokey about the swirlies, I am basically describing making the fighter prone, restrained, grappled and pulled, lifted into the air upside down, and then dunked into a terrain hazard. HP aren't really the factor outside of trying to stab the attackers.

Ok, I'm still confused. Aren't fighters more resistant to those things than Wizards are, because of high Str? And Athletics proficiency helps, too.

You know, as if they've learned some tricks?

Incenjucar

Legend
Ok, I'm still confused. Aren't fighters more resistant to those things than Wizards are, because of high Str? And Athletics proficiency helps, too.

You know, as if they've learned some tricks?
They would fare better than a 2E wizard against a house cat, but enough children and bounded accuracy would get them. They're in real trouble if the football team is involved.

The actual point is that real, normal people can belt out all kinds of conditions with little to no training in the combat arts, but a fighter is limited unless the DM is feeling generous.

Bill Zebub

They would fare better than a 2E wizard against a house cat, but enough children and bounded accuracy would get them. They're in real trouble if the football team is involved.

The actual point is that real, normal people can belt out all kinds of conditions with little to no training in the combat arts, but a fighter is limited unless the DM is feeling generous.

There was a post on the Alien RPG Discord where somebody basically said, "Characters with military background should get a lot more starting skills than other characters, because in the military you get trained in all these things."

Totally ignoring how true that is, how would that possibly make for a fun game?

I think the same thing applies here. We could make all kinds of realism arguments about these characters, based on their backgrounds should be able to do, but would that make the game fun? For example, your argument could be flipped to argue that Wizards, with their magical training, should be an order of magnitude better than Fighters at saving throws versus spells. But if you actually modeled that, Fighters would almost always fail their saves, and Wizards would almost always succeed. And that would be bad game design.

Fighters are a little bit better than Wizards at both resisting and imposing grappled, etc. You've got to let your imagination fill in the rest, instead of trying to model what you think reality should look like.

Or not. But that's my advice if you want to enjoy the game. You be you.

Remove ads