D&D (2024) Fighter brainstorm

Let's give all players the freedom to have their DM not allow them to do things.
You're right. We should codify everything in order to make sure the DM doesn't hold any sway over the game whatsoever. If people want this, they can play a computer game.

D&D is collaborative. The DM is the referee. Maybe you want it to be something else? Maybe you have some homebrew rules that take adjudication out of the mix? But for most, the DM declares what is valid and invalid, what is success and failure, and what is right or wrong. And that is just a normal ho-hum game of D&D. No god complex. No power trip. Just a DM trying to tell a collaborative story with their players.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Very good analysis. Xena was technically a martial character (although she was revealed to have some supernatural monk-like abilities and was retconned to have learned rune magic at one point as well) but she was clearly performing feats that were physically impossible. Also, I just watched the D&D movie and the way Holga uses anything to hand to fight with is hugely entertaining without being too blatantly unrealistic.

Yeah Xena is a human fighter in Fighter as a Weaponmaster (Western). She is the master of the Sword, Chakram, Dagger, Unarmed Strike, and Whip. She blantantly breaks reality with them but it more the "Technically it could happen... maybe.. IDK" variety. Xena has no range limitation onher chakram throw and can ricochet them to get all her attacks in 1 toss. Herr shamanism and runes are high level feats and boons that augment her power.

Hercules (mortal) on the other hand is a human demigod in the Fighter as a Demigod. If there is a Strength based action,he can do it and there is no Mother May I about it. He's good with a weapon but his strength is so overwhelming that an opposing warrior must have equivalent Strength or Toughness or be excellent at dodging.

Whereas most action heroes like Holga and John Wick are acting mostly in reality. They are just doing the Action Star thing of taking a ton of actions in one turn.

Vaalingrade

Legend
D&D is collaborative. The DM is the referee.
Never seen the ref decide the forward pass and the position of tight end aren't allowed.
Maybe you want it to be something else?
Man, Now I'd like to see them try just being referees and the narrator.
But for most, the DM declares what is valid and invalid, what is success and failure,
Except for casters who have convenient packets of autonomy.
and what is right or wrong.
Oh hell no.
And that is just a normal ho-hum game of D&D. No god complex. No power trip.
Except all that god complex and power trip just listed.
Just a DM trying to tell a collaborative story with their players.
at the players if as indicated above.

Pauln6

Hero
Never seen the ref decide the forward pass and the position of tight end aren't allowed.

Man, Now I'd like to see them try just being referees and the narrator.

Except for casters who have convenient packets of autonomy.

Oh hell no.

Except all that god complex and power trip just listed.

at the players if as indicated above.
My experience is that players vary in how far they want to push things. A player who thinks the DM should have no discretion in what they, or any other players should be allowed to do is possibly someone more comfortable with the push button style of 4e or someone in a group with a player who is always trying to roll about 6 things into one improvised action. Someone asking if they can knock down an enemy every round because their mace is heavy is in for constant disappointment but a DM who uses a more narrative style of combat might allow clever use of terrain, interesting player combos, or extra effects on a crit. Nobody has to play the game in a certain way. It's all optional at the DM's discretion. Some people might find that level of freedom disturbing.

Incenjucar

Legend
The effectiveness of a character should not be determined by how comfortable with and effective a player is at talking the DM into things. It punishes a good chunk of players who don't like to speak up, who don't have the same amount of relevant education as other players, and so on. It's hard enough keeping players from trying to invent gun powder.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The effectiveness of a character should not be determined by how comfortable with and effective a player is at talking the DM into things. It punishes a good chunk of players who don't like to speak up, who don't have the same amount of relevant education as other players, and so on. It's hard enough keeping players from trying to invent gun powder.
Also, after most previous editions having codified combat maneuvers, why should martial players have to negotiate with the DM to do something that they could do in those previous editions?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Sorry it's not helpful, but I started reading these updates and I forgot what thread this was; this is starting to sound like the Social Challenge thread!

Pauln6

Hero
It doesn't punish anyone unless one player is given freedom while others are denied it. Not everyone is a glory hog. I love seeing my team mates succeed. No matter what is written in the rules, this is how some people love to play. You can't be the enjoyment police. Magic item distribution has a way bigger impact than this.

Remove ads