• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Fighter (Playtest 7)

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It absolutely is, though, because the Improvised weapons are where Brawlers get their main power, not Unarmed, and how exactly are improvised weapons going to get a +X to hit? The design is too stingy to even let them have a bonus action attack that does damage - it's pathetic - two-weapon or two-handed or PAM or other Fighters get bonus action attacks - not Brawlers.
Because when your fighter grabs a candleholder in the lich's lair, Crawford rules it as a +3 candleholder because it's magic. And +1d4 fire from the candle.

Thats the issue.

They DM a style where the brawler fighter is good. Many DMs won't.

It's the old "Champions are great at my table" thing.

I didn't say they only make all subclasses situational.

I said they are okay if you get into a fight and your subclass stuff straight up doesn't work. Because they are running at least 7 fights that day.

If a monster is immune to your subclass, they are okay with it. As long as your base class works. Because to them it's just one fight.
Are you trying to make the case that the entire D&D design team needs to be fired? Because that's the case you're making.

see

Pedantic Grognard
It absolutely is, though, because the Improvised weapons are where Brawlers get their main power, not Unarmed, and how exactly are improvised weapons going to get a +X to hit?
Well, let me quote the playtest document, p.14, the first box under the Brawler heading:

"The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide will include magic items that enhance Unarmed Strikes and Improvised Weapons."

Now, read the last two words of that sentence again.

Huh. Looks like your question was answered before you asked it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Has it?!?!?! When?

I mean, good if so, but they certainly have it in Mordenkainen which is supposed to show off the new design:

Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks

For example.

Wait is that "they are getting rid of it" or "they aren't getting rid of it"?
As far as I know, they haven’t said anything about it. But people have noticed that in the playtest, every feature that in the 2014 rules caused damage to “count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage” has been replaced with a feature that instead allows you to change the damage type (often to force). Some people have speculated that this might indicate that the 2024 rules will replace resistance to nonmagical B/P/S to simply resistance to all B/P/S, and that magic weapons will deal force damage.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As far as I know, they haven’t said anything about it. But people have noticed that in the playtest packet, every feature that in the 2014 rules caused damage to “count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage” has been replaced with a feature that instead allows you to change the damage type (often to force). Some people have speculated that this might indicate that the 2024 rules will replace resistance to nonmagical B/P/S to simply resistance to all B/P/S, and that magic weapons will deal force damage.
Twould be an elegant change.

Some people have speculated that this might indicate that the 2024 rules will replace resistance to nonmagical B/P/S to simply resistance to all B/P/S, and that magic weapons will deal force damage.
That would actually be dumber than the current situation. Amazing. It would also continue to screw over Brawlers.

Well, let me quote the playtest document, p.14, the first box under the Brawler heading:

"The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide will include magic items that enhance Unarmed Strikes and Improvised Weapons."

Now, read the last two words of that sentence again.

Huh. Looks like your question was answered before you asked it.
Believe it when I see it with Improvised Weapons, frankly.

Remove ads