Fighting the Gray Tide (Miniature Painting)

MGibster

Legend
If you know anything about miniature painters, we tend to have a lot of unfinished or never started projects just lying around. Oh, yeah, we bought that beholder with some big ideas on how to paint that one big eye, we just had to have that giant robot as the centerpiece for our army, or maybe that squad of orcish grenadiers seemed like just the thing we wanted, but we got distracted by other projects, and eventually our big ideas faded from thought. I hadn't thought of it very much until my Zombicide: Dead or Alive Kickstarter arrived a few weeks ago. The basic game comes with 88 miniatures in total, but I backed the Kickstarter at the highest level I could, and suddenly I have 232 new miniatures. (I've painted 40 zombies so far, so I've put a dent in it at least.)

A lot of models are gray plastic, so a lot us refer to our unpainted collection as the gray tide or menace. In my case, it's not pathological, I'm not spending more money than I have, my house isn't cluttered, and it doesn't have an otherwise negative impact of my life. But I really, really need to get some of this stuff painted. I thought I'd make a resolution not to buy any more miniatures until I put a dent in the tide, but goals should be realistic, and that one would never last. I also don't want to paint just for the sake of painting, that's a chore, but at the same time I can't be beholden to one game or another. With that in mind...

Goal: To put a significant dent in the number of unpainted miniatures in my possession, as well as practice new techniques in order to improve my skills.

That's the goal, but what's the plan? You gotta have a plan.

1. Organize my unpainted miniatures. I have Warhammer 40k, Age of Sigmar, Star Wars Legion, Zombicide (multiple versions) Fallout: Wasteland Tactics, and a lot of miscellaneous miniatures that need to be painted. I really need to assess what I have before coming up with a final plan of attack.

2. Decide what skills I wish to practice on which miniatures. For hordes of zombies and Rebel troops, I'm probably going to go with what I think is the quickest way to get decent results, so we'll be using slapchop method for those. For centerpiece models I'll go for more traditional techniques and practice my glazing, layering, and wet blending. I'm going to try to actually paint eyes on things. Practice, practice, practice.

3. I'll post some pictures here as well as an explanation for what technique I tried. You'll see some ugly photos from time-to-time because that's what happens when you try something new. Sometimes you get results you weren't looking for, and that's okay, it's part of the learning process.

I encourage anyone else who enjoys painting miniatures to post here as well with examples of your work. Tell us what you did, hell, talk about color theory. I'm not a great artist, but I'd love to hear why you chose your color palette. If you've had to fight off your own gray tide, tell us how you did it.

Richards

Legend
I don't paint minis (alas, I lack the skills), but I do have my own gray tide to fight: the hair in my beard and at my temples. And...I've pretty much decided to just surrender.

Good luck in making your dent, and I look forward to seeing the photos of your work. Like I said, I'm not a minis painter myself, but I enjoy watching the results of those with the skills to do so.

Johnathan

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'd very interested to come back here week to week or however often and see which skill you are attempting to master. I'd certainly give them a go myself in tandem. Be fun to compare notes.

MGibster

Legend
This is a New California Republic force from Fallout: Wasteland Warfare. In case you're unfamliar, this is a skirmish level game based off the Fallout computer games by Bethesda. I purchased these miniatures within the last few months and decided to finally get around to painting them. I tried a combination of regular painting in layers with the new slapchop method that the kids are into these days. I say new, but slapchop has been around for a while. Basically you have a dark base, dry brush a lighter color over the parts that stick out, and then put on a transluscent layer which automatically applies dark and highlighted areas in one go. It's not likely to win me any contests, but when you want to paint a lot of miniatures in a short period of time, it's good enough for table top standard.

I tired some a new product for the base made by Vallejo called Thick Mud. This is European mud. I really like it. They're not lying when they say it's thick. It'd be a bit pricy to use for a whole lot of miniatures, but for a few it's not so bad.

2ECAB164-F16B-424A-9862-97ED11BD4457.jpeg9B843D07-0E61-44C6-87C0-9F1F247BA833.jpeg

Sacrosanct

Legend
I’ve found that the minis that take priority to paint are those that will be featured in an upcoming session. Alas, those mountains of minis that aren’t in an adventure I’m DMing are still unpainted.

MGibster

Legend
I’ve found that the minis that take priority to paint are those that will be featured in an upcoming session. Alas, those mountains of minis that aren’t in an adventure I’m DMing are still unpainted.
That's how I priortize my painting where possible. Usually I'm going to prioritize models for war gaming purposes and RPGs come next. If a game of either variety stops being played, then the motivation to complete painting them goes away. That's why I have a lot of Star War Legion, Age of Sigmar, and 40k models I still need to paint. This last year, I finished painting by Imperial Knights army, and that one was done purely for the pleasure. I wasn't in a rush to paint them in order to play, I took my time painting them and they turned out great. For the most part, I paint as a means to and end, with the end being to use the miniature in a game. Right now I'm trying to prioritize painting for the sake of painting to improve my skills and just have fun with it. But gaming is still going to factor in how I prioritize my list. I'm painting Fallout because I want to run a game sometime this year.

Andvari

Hero
Counterpoint: See using miniatures unpainted as the default. But allow the painting of miniatures that see frequent use or are likely to feature in a boss encounter. On exceptional occasions, allow a miniature to be painted for the fun of it.

MGibster

Legend
Counterpoint: See using miniatures unpainted as the default. But allow the painting of miniatures that see frequent use or are likely to feature in a boss encounter. On exceptional occasions, allow a miniature to be painted for the fun of it.
I'm not so much of a snob that I'll turn my nose up at an unpainted miniature. Heck, I've used coins, gummi bears, dice, marshmallows, and other things as proxies for orcs, hobgoblins, and horses. For me, having a painted miniature just adds to the overall atmosphere, and even a poorly painted miniature is better than a plastic colored miniature.

Until I parsed the parenthetical, I thought this was going to be a thread on players ageing in the RPG community.
Ha! I've certainly talked to some folks my age about how many campaigns we'll be able to play once we're all in the same retirement home.

Andvari

Hero
Just trying to say you can see the gray tide as a positive ("Wow, I have so many minis") rather than a negative ("Wow, I have so many unpainted minis"). And painting being an enjoyable extra thing you get to do when you feel like it, rather than a chore.

It just sometimes seems people feel "bad" for having unpainted minis, which they should not.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases