WotC Filing: Wizards of the Coast makes up roughly 70% of Hasbro's value

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
“Objective”?

IDK. Why would he? And yes, that’s just one dude, Itchy Bacca.

Is it?

I suppose, it's possible. Likewise, it seems possible to check every linked web page for mentions of, for example, color pink. But, uh, what would be the point (in either case)? To have “elephant in the room” joke translated into the medium of performance art in a new way?

Presumably. Including half a dozen of particularly ill-considered products Itchy mocked. What of it?
The existence of products does not make a franchise great. There also needs to be demand for them. It’s not obvious?
Let’s be more specific. I followed his link to “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Value Figures 4-inch Action Figure Assortment” of Luke, Chewbacca, Dart Vader and a stormtrooper in Hasbro web shop right now. It’s still there. Still for $3.

Are they?
After «I literally watched “Solo” SOLO», etc? After relevant part of Hasbro revenue dropped by half in 2 years (unless JediTempleArchives seriously messed up… do you see anything wrong with their analysis?).
Of course, that was 2018. A lot could happen between 2018 and 2022. Oh, they are still selling the original trilogy figures under a fig leaf of the Rise of Skywalker? Never mind.
Do you not see how damning it is? When Hasbro tries to sell pre-Disney stuff in a roundabout way compliant with the letter of their license… what does this tell us about demand for anything related to Disney Star Wars? Is it likely that all these shiny new products they can sell without such contortions (which is risky, in that Disney could demand they buy another license for old stuff) go like hot cakes?
Huh. It’s almost like those “Reylos” did not become a market as good as the people who were fans of Lucas, many of whom now have enough disposable income to indulge in such fancies (and whom Disney repeatedly insulted). Who could guess?

“Famous” is an achievement of those who launch franchises, not of those who take them over or sink them. Thus it’s simply misleading.
Popular? Seriously? How many instances of Princess Leia or Admiral Ackbar have you seen spammed around all over Internet? Probably a lot. Or even old Disney princesses?
Now let’s compare these to Disney Admiral Purplehair and the rest of them. Yeah. Does anyone post anything of Disney Star Wars like this, beyond the “shippers” posting their pick of characters to heavily breathe over, or occasional 3D model?
Maybe there is something popular from the latest Marvel. I have seen only occasional mockery of a few pratfalls and replacement characters (mostly on imageboards). And even then, very little. I didn’t see Marvel equivalent of Itchy Bacca yet, either. Maybe there is someone. But so far the signs point to “almost nobody gives a damn anymore”. Did you observe anything else?
Now, how about… Those annoying ponies? Harry Pot ter? Spongebob Sillypants? Link (from Zelda)? Sonic the edgehog?
Or characters and scenes from half a dozen of the most popular anime series at any time? DragonballZ or whatever. Mainstream shonens (which are bad by default, as Kukuruyo put it). Or good old Sailor Moon. Granted, most of those were and are popular only with early-teens. But we would be comparing them to “Reylos” (at best), so there’s also that.
Even Doomguy comics has more evidence of being popular than Disney Star Wars or whatever Marvel does these days. “This means your guts are huge!” Perhaps you could tell me what quotes from The Last Jedi are making rounds as much as this? If it’s supposedly popular?
I forgot about a global pandemic and supply chain crises too

Frankly, ALL of these franchises that have been mentioned (bashed) by @TBeholder are, at best, 50 years old or more! Heck, a lot of the Marvel stuff dates back to the 1960s or even earlier. The 20th is so over, really, and I think that its just starting to really set in. Regardless of what The Drisney Empire thinks, eventually stuff gets old, culturally irrelevant, and just falls by the wayside. I don't think Star Wars, or MCU whatever, are going to vanish overnight in a puff of smoke, OTOH the world moves on. There will be new media, and new characters, as well as re-imaginings of the current ones. My guess is that certain types of products and media are just losing relevance. Like perhaps the action figure market is not what it once was...

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Even Doomguy comics has more evidence of being popular than Disney Star Wars or whatever Marvel does these days.

Worldwide #1, 9, 11, and 13 (1, 2, 6, 4 domestically) movies in 2021 were in the MCU and #7 (3) was tangential to it...

1650468762932.png

Also had worldwide #1 in 2012, 2016, 2018, and 2019 (and also 2013 and 2014 in the US).

And they've done a few things on SVOD series as well (WandaVision, etc...) and apparently the #9 Fortnite skin this year so far.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Worldwide #1, 9, 11, and 13 (1, 2, 6, 4 domestically) movies in 2021 were in the MCU and #7 (3) was tangential to it...

View attachment 155622

Also had worldwide #1 in 2012, 2016, 2018, and 2019 (and also 2013 and 2014 in the US).

And they've done a few things on SVOD series as well (WandaVision, etc...) and apparently the #9 Fortnite skin this year so far.
But that goes against The Natrative! It cannot be!

Remove ads