D&D 5E Finally

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Relentless: Regain 1 superiority die when you roll initiative and have no superiority dice remaining.

Hrm. That is probably the least elegant way they could design that ability. It almost begs for the player to cheese it by "entering combat" with various insects, walls, bags of rats, etc.

Palladion

Adventurer
I know it's specifically a spell question but...did my favorite spell from 2nd edition make it in (Magic Jar)? If so what kind of duration did they put on it?

Any information on Necromancers?

Did they keep overchannel for evocation wizards? If so, any changes?

Thanks so much for any answers you may have and for taking the time to answer all these questions!!

There is a 6th level necromancy spell called magic jar. Duration is until dispelled.

School of Necromancy has Necromancy Savant, Grim Harvest, Undead Thralls, Injured to Undeath, and Command Undead features.

School of Evocation has Overchannel (14th). It is listed in the Basic Rules.

Dionysos

Explorer
Hrm. That is probably the least elegant way they could design that ability. It almost begs for the player to cheese it by "entering combat" with various insects, walls, bags of rats, etc.

How does that cheese it? You only get the die if you had none. So if you start a fake combat with a ladybug, you get a superiority die. Then, when you get in combat with a real monster, you don't get any dice because you already have the one you got from the fake combat with the ladybug. But if you had just skipped the ladybug combat and went straight to the fight against the real monster...you would have gotten one superiority die because you had none. The fake combat didn't help you at all.

Last edited:

That only works if the DM lets you roll initiative versus various insects, walls, bags of rats, etc.

And even if it did, your net gain on it would be effectively zero, since you ONLY get a superiority die back if you started the combat with none.

I like the change from the alpha. In the alpha you could pretty much assume that Lv. 15 and higher Battle Masters were going to use their Superiority die every single round of every single combat, more or less, which was just a little too strong.

Gertak

First Post
Thanks so much for the answers! If I could just clarify, Overchannel stayed exactly the same as in basic? Seems a bit strong combined with cantrips as it is listed there...
Any chance you could give the specifics on undead thrall?

Palladion

Adventurer
Thanks so much for the answers! If I could just clarify, Overchannel stayed exactly the same as in basic? Seems a bit strong combined with cantrips as it is listed there...
Any chance you could give the specifics on undead thrall?

Undead Thralls: Add animate dead to spellbook and target one additional corpse or pile of bones, created undead maximum hit points increased and proficiency bonus to damage rolls.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases