D&D 5E Finally

Gadget

Adventurer
If you do that, aren't you spending a 4th level slot + a 1st level slot to do the same damage you'd get from a 4th level slot? o_O I get it that you get extra cha damage... but you could do 6d8+Cha + 3d8+Cha with those same slots in 2 turns... or am I missing something?

I think the point is that you get sorcery points (plural) from cannibalizing the 4th level slot. You spend one of those points to twin a first level slot (I assume twin ing a spell lets you cast two version of the same spell in a single round). You still have other sorcery points that you got from the 4th level slot to use in subsequent turns. So it might not always make sense to do what is described above, but it does give you the flexibility of maximizing your damage output.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Hey, first I want to thank everyone for the answers... I will hopefully have a copy before sept myself. In the mean time I have a question about multi classing and sub classes.

2 sub classes (arcane trickster, and Eldritch knight) give minor spell casting, and Mike Mearls said something about using them as a base to multi class with wizard. How does that work?

One theory was you would count hd on the mult class spell chart for spell slots but only know based off class the other was those classes would only count 1/2,

to be precise what is the highest slot avalibul to the following

eldritch knight 10/ wizard 10
eldritch knight 4/arcane trick 4/wizard 12

????

thanks in advance.

Xodis

First Post
I'm a bit curious as to what the "Jump" spell entails. I know it sounds self-explanatory, but given how a spell called "Weird" is a very powerful 9th level spell (for good reason), names can be deceiving. Could someone please post the specs of the spell?

Is the Jump spell part of the Eldritch Knights spell list? I see my Dragoon becoming very VERY real soon :)

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Hey, first I want to thank everyone for the answers... I will hopefully have a copy before sept myself. In the mean time I have a question about multi classing and sub classes.

2 sub classes (arcane trickster, and Eldritch knight) give minor spell casting, and Mike Mearls said something about using them as a base to multi class with wizard. How does that work?

One theory was you would count hd on the mult class spell chart for spell slots but only know based off class the other was those classes would only count 1/2,

to be precise what is the highest slot avalibul to the following

eldritch knight 10/ wizard 10
eldritch knight 4/arcane trick 4/wizard 12

????

thanks in advance.

It's as it was in the playtest and as you say: full casters count their full HD, rangers and paladins count half (rounded down), and eldritch knights and arcane tricksters count 1/3 (rounded down). Easy way to remember: 1/2 spellcasters get their first spell at level 2, and 1/3 spellcasters get it at level 3.

Ek10/wiz10 would be caster level 13 (so level 7 spells).
Ek4/trickster4/wiz12 would be caster level 12 (so level 6 spells).
Ek6/trickster3/wiz11 would be 14, despite having fewer levels of wizard!
So maximizing spell slots takes some work.

Lanoitakude

First Post
Is the Jump spell part of the Eldritch Knights spell list? I see my Dragoon becoming very VERY real soon :)

Jump is likely Transmutation. Sadly, the Eldritch Knight learns spells from the Wizard's spell list, but only those of the Evocation or Abjuration schools. So defensive buffs and nukes, primarily.

Lanoitakude

First Post
Houseruling it then lol. Thank you and everyone else for these amazing spoilers, we are not just greedy rabid gamers, we are APPRECIATIVE greed rabid gamers :D

Both the Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knight learn Longstrider automatically at level 3; youc ould just houserule that to Jump instead!

Prism

Explorer
It's not abjuration or evocation, so probably not...

Its looking like 4 of their 13 spells can actually be of any school so it should be ok if its on the wizard list

Edit: To expand a little, the arcane trickster doesn't get 4 fixed spells as they did in the alpha - I am hoping eldritch knight is the same

Last edited:

Remove ads