D&D 5E Fishing for some bard ideas

Warpiglet

Adventurer
So not long ago I railed about how much I dislike bards. Specifically, I noted a distaste for the lore bard’s ability to cast everything and that it lacked any evocative flavor for me.

then I did what I always do: I read about what I hated and changed my mind!

in short, a line in the fluff mentioned hags...and since I dig warlocks, I realized I could “create” the theme for a bard. So is born Saerid the Secret Keeper...the faithless...

he read and studies what he should not have...was tutored by things that make him shudder. He creeps around court listening, learning...manipulating...until called to help secure secrets or items for those who ask nicely.

I imagine plenty of disguise self, minor illusion and knock use. His eyes turn a milky white when he casts spells and looks a little unhealthy otherwise (thinking of the pale worm tongue of the LOTR films).

as a weird aside, it would not be my character without melee ability. He is either going college of valor Or lore with medium armor and perhaps? Green flameblade and spiritual weapon.

he will be a wiry character—-though he will be average or underweight; he brews a foul smelling potion that seems to give him a surprising vigor!

But I digress. My main question/request:

I would welcome some suggestions about spells for magical secrets that would increase the creepy role play factor.

bonus points for suggestions related to both creepiness as well as melee ability. They can be separate of course as magical secrets come in twos!

I even considered animate dead! Any official books are fair game for spells.

I will put some of the suggestions to use I am sure.

Last edited:

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Shadow Blade from Xanathar's isn't overtly creepy, but it does allow you to conjure a weapon that is compatible with Green Flame Blade since it counts as a simple melee weapon, unlike it's lackluster cousin Flame Blade. (Also do note that Green Flame Blade isn't on the Bard spell list so you will need to pick it up via magical secrets, multiclass dip or magic initiate).

If you want really creepy you could go for something like Hunger of Hadar or Evard's Black Tentacles. Both create areas that the enemy really doesn't want to be if they don't like being groped by tentacles.

And if you really want to go all the way there is always Conjure Lesser Demons. Nothing will put off the squeamish more than using the blood of your previous victims as a component to your spells.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Fear?

I must say that the description you've posted up there seems much more in line with the College of Whispers than either lore or valor, but your character! If you haven't seen it, I'd just say check it out.

I can't second Hunger of Hadar enough if you do go lore bard though. I have a warlock who uses it and our DM loves to use the madness rules for those I subject to it :)

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Really funny how that theme fits. I will see if I like the mechanics better or not! Psychic blade is interesting...I could fight with two weapons and be quick and make good use.

mid I did so I would consider two weapon fighting feat as well as the duel is feat and stay in light armor...or go ahead with moderately armored and something else....

so now that is on the table too...

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Also to fully respond to your original post - Cause Fear, Phantasmal Killer, Eyebite, Wrathful Smite are other good spells that cause the frightened condition on people that fail their saves and I don't think are on the Bard list.

Remove ads