Five Torches Deep: (first) session report

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I ran a short session of FTD for two 7th graders. They are homeschoolers (family friends) to whom I teach coding and math. They have asked me several times to teach them D&D, and we finally got around to it. I chose FTD both because I've been wanting to try it, and because it seemed like we could accomplish more in our 90 minutes. With D&D I would have provided pre-gens, but character creation is such a core part of the RPG experience, IMO.

Rolling 3d6 in order (S,D,Cn,I,W,Ch) one of them rolled above average stats, with a single 7, and went with Zealot. The other one rolled...I swear...17, 6, 4, 18, and then two other average scores I don't remember. In FDT you are allowed one swap, so he swapped Int with Con and built a big, dumb, clumsy brute of a Warrior.

I explained how normally they would explore a village, talk to NPCs, hear rumors, and start out on an adventure, but in the interest of time I summarized them and put them at the entrance of a barrow with a recently-collapsed barrow. I described how rubble from the collapsed door slap had fallen onto the steps leading down into darkness. (This was meant purely as an evocative details, but became unexpectedly significant.)

They used the Zealot's "illuminate" spell for light. It's basically D&D light, but with concentration. FTD concentration is more fragile than D&D concentration: "Taking damage, making checks, or other distracting tasks break concentration."

In the first chamber there were skeletons splayed on the floor, and even having never played any RPG they were suspicious of this. We talked through how concentration works and what would happen in a fight, so they lit a torch and the Warrior carried his pole axe in one hand and torch in the other, reasoning he could drop it on the floor and use both hands on his axe if necessary.

And, no surprise, it was necessary. Knowing that FTD is more deadly than D&D, but not being familiar with the particulars, I had 3 skeletons come to life. It was over in just two rounds, with the Warrior at 6/10 health and the Zealot at 5/6. (It wasn't clear to me if monsters are supposed to add their ability modifiers to damage, so I went with straight 1d8.)

The Zealot used his healing spell on the warrior. One thing I think I like, but want to see how it plays out, is that you have to make an ability check to cast a spell. As long as you succeed you can keep casting all day long, but if you fail you suffer some mishap and you can't cast spells of that level again until you rest. Anyway, he succeeded and topped off the Warrior, but opted not to risk it again for his single HP.

The next hallway had another skeleton, this one with an iron spike/bolt/arrow thing through the side of its skull. They totally did NOT get that telegraph, but assumed it was another skeleton that would come to life. They threw a skull from the last fight at this skeleton, so I had the skull bounce and hit a pressure plate that fired a bolt. At that point they understood and started trying to figure out how to get down the hall.

What happened next was why I love RPGs. They thought of a really great solution I hadn't considered: they went back to the entrance and retrieved the largest pieces of the broken door and basically built stepping stones the length of the hallway. Awesome!

In our final minutes, they entered the "final" chamber:
  • The warrior smashed all the urns around the room, mostly finding dust, ancient grains, residue from long vanished liquids, and the like, but one urn had coins.
  • They discovered an area of the wall that looked weak, as if there might be something beyond.
  • The obligatory sarcophagus in the middle of the room: we ended with them grabbing the sword (of course) and the thing waking up (of course). It's so fun to introduce new players to the game so you can use all the tired tropes.

Overall FTD was very easy to set up and start running with total beginners. One aspect to the rules we glossed over was Supplies. I get how it works, having dealt with many systems, but it's kind of abstract and confused them when I described it. Since it was a short one-shot I didn't worry about. But I do want to use it because I like how it incorporates "load out" without turning it into a detailed clerical exercise.

I think we'll probably continue this one-shot at some point. I'll come post again when we do.

Bill Zebub

Update:

I session 2 we resolved the battle with the undead thing (I based if off a ghoul but beefed it up). Thanks to bad rolls by the monster, and the warriors successful save the one time the monster hit, the fight wasn't hard enough to be really scary.

Then they knocked down the weak part of the wall and explored a tunnel to the obvious lair of a giant spider. That combat went largely the same: the spider kept missing, the one time it hit it rolled terrible damage and the warrior (again) made his CON save, and the spider died.

It seems like FTD combats could be really swingy. Lucky/unlucky dice rolls will make a huge difference. So far all three battles were too easy because monsters rolled poorly. I can throw more at them, but if the luck runs out it will be a quick TPK.

So partly in the interest of smoothing out the swinginess, I put a captive (dutifully wrapped in a cocoon) in the spider's lair, who turned out to be a Thief NPC who will join the party.

There are a few things I'm struggling to make sense of, although perhaps I didn't read the rules carefully enough. I need to compile a list of a questions and post to the Discord.

We had a chance to use a couple proficiencies this time around, and I like how proficiencies work. Instead of a fixed list (like 5e skills) it's more free-form. (Yes, I know, this is not an innovation.). And then it's up to the player to find ways to leverage those proficiencies, and up to the DM to interpret.

So, for example, in catching the Thief when he was finally freed from the hanging cocoon, the Warrior made a check. His Dex is 6, so that was -2, but Warriors get "Coordination" proficiency, so I granted the +2 back again. (He rolled a 15 and caught the Thief with his 17 Strength.)

Not sure if I'll play with these two kids again, but I definitely want to play some more FTD. For me it's the right balance between OSR aesthetic and modern rules.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I've been running a mashup of 5TD with B/X for a couple of years now. I've made a few house rules, but I'm pretty familiar with the mechanics if you have specific questions.

I agree that it can be a bit swingy. A lucky series of rolls on spellcasting can restore quite a lot of HP at low levels, for example. On the other hand, you could also miscast on your first spell and not even have one successful casting.

Deadliness is toned down a LOT by the injury chart, though. Unless all the PCs are dropped, of course.

Bill Zebub

I've been running a mashup of 5TD with B/X for a couple of years now. I've made a few house rules, but I'm pretty familiar with the mechanics if you have specific questions.

Thanks! I might just PM you on that.

I agree that it can be a bit swingy. A lucky series of rolls on spellcasting can restore quite a lot of HP at low levels, for example. On the other hand, you could also miscast on your first spell and not even have one successful casting.

Deadliness is toned down a LOT by the injury chart, though. Unless all the PCs are dropped, of course.

I don't understand what you mean by that. How does having injuries tone down deadliness? Is it because the game biases toward injuring PCs instead of killing them outright?

As much as I'm liking FTD I'm kind of hoping there will be 2nd Edition that expands/clarifies some rules, and maybe fleshes out a few areas. I would totally back that Kickstarter.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I don't understand what you mean by that. How does having injuries tone down deadliness? Is it because the game biases toward injuring PCs instead of killing them outright?
By the book there's only a 1/20 chance of dying if you're dropped to 0HP, as long as someone tends to you by the end of the fight.

I house-ruled that to make it more deadly (and to slightly reduce the number of missing body parts). I subtract 1 from all rolls of 10 or less on the chart. I also have hirelings roll a d4 before getting to roll on the injury chart, and on a 1 they're dead. Henchmen the same but they get a d6.

Bill Zebub

Had another session, with a new group of kids. This time it was mostly middle school kids, and one 4th grader, but instead of total novices this was a Dungeons and Dragons club, so they got the general idea. However, they were used to DMing themselves, with what sounds like some of the hilarity that I recall from Jr. High D&D, including PvP. (For session zero I introduced them to @iserith's pvp rule.)

I warned them that this was a lot deadlier than D&D, although the one bone I threw them was that if their aggregate ability score bonus was less than 0 they could re-roll. One of the five re-rolled once, and another one re-rolled I think five times. Totally cursed dice. We ended up with two Warriors, and one each of Thief, Zealot, and Mage. The highest score in the entire group was a 15.

It took a LOT longer to get characters sorted out this time, so by the time they were ready to adventure we only had a few minutes left. I decided to throw some evil halfling bandits at them (one bandit leader, five bandits). Instead of parlaying, they went straight to combat. Of course. The zealot went down twice, and finished the fight with Dexterity reduced by 3 and a missing finger. The mage went down once but only got "Disadvantage on all checks until Rest."

A teammate stabilized the zealot with an ability check, he stabilized the mage with a cantrip, and she cast her one spell, Charm, succeeding even with Disadvantage, using it turned one of the bandits on his friends. That really saved them.

Despite the fact that they felt a lot weaker than with their D&D characters, they are all excited for the next session. They are planning to interrogate the charmed bandit while he is still charmed, so I think I'll have him reveal the location of their secret cave, which they will probably use to rest up. Until the notice the sealed secret door in the back of the cave, with warning signs all over it...

We are going to stick with FTD for a while, but I mentioned there's a really good game based on Tolkien, and their eyes lit up. So maybe we'll switch to The One Ring after a while.

Tomorrow I'm running a first session with yet another group of kids, where 2 of the 4 have no idea what Dungeons and Dragons is. Mwuhahahahahaha....

Excellent! FTD is a fun rules-lite verson of D&D. I ran a group of young teens / tweens over Zoom a while ago. Quite enjoyable.

One tweak that I found helpful is that casters get one spell per spell level without a casting roll. I had one kid that only cast 1-2 spells per game, his dice were so bad.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
XP for the recounting, but I seem to remember some unique rules from FTD. Were they not a big part of the experience, or did they not warrant attention in the posts?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases