• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fixing Quick Draw

Anubis

First Post
Storyteller01 said:
Being a katana wielder, may I ask what style you practice? I've studied Iaido (a variation of Iaijutsu), and I can tell you from experience that, while drawing the blade is a simple operation, being able to draw does not make one fast.

How many details have you observed when drawing? Do you pull the blade from the scabbard (I can't spell the Japanese equivalent), or do you separate the blade and scabbard equally from a central point (ie do you move both at once)? At what degree of variance do you rotate the blade while drawing, and which cuts are available at what degree? When is this rotation appropriate? When do the hips wind up (build power) during such a draw? When sitting in the kneeling position, how do you start forward momentum (it isn't with the first step. It's much sooner). How does this relate to a standing draw cut? How do you do all of this in a manner that doesn't telegraph your intent until it's too late?

EDIT: And this doesn't begin to cover movement before, during, and/or after a draw.

And most importantly, when during the draw do you strike? Too slow, and you negate your advantage. Too soon, and you cut through your own scabbard, taking your fingers with it.

Sorry for the hi-jack. Personal pride I suppose. :)

Thought I made it clear that I have no formal training. That's the point I'm trying to make. I don't make a science out of it. All I know is that I pull fast enough that if my opponent isn't a quality opponent, he'll be taking a gash from about his right kidney to his left armpit (hope that answers your questions). Oh, and my scabbard is strong enough I won't be cutting through it any time soon.

The best way to put it is that I can draw the katana in under a second (timed with a stopwatch) and initiate a good slash/defelct/thrust/parry routine in short order.

I don't practice any form of iajutsu, though, but of course that shouldn't even matter given that most D&D character don't either. The fact that I don't and I'm still as fast as I am shows that any wielder who knows how to use a weapon can effectively "quick draw", so there is no need for a feat for it. The Quick Draw feat isn't mean to emulate any special katana techniques or iajutsu style fighting; that's what the Iajutsu Master prestige class is for.

gogo_jerrick said:
How can quick draw not be attractive?

That doesn't matter. My point is that it realistically shouldn't be needed because any decent wielder can do it.

gogo_jerrick said:
Just to point out also, with the right feats and equipment and the addition to quick draw, a person can throw 10 daggers before whipping out a sword and stepping into melee.

How? Only if you have Quick Draw, haste, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighter, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting, a high enough BAB to get four attacks normally, and enough daggers. If so, I can't see how this is broken. That's a potent combo, as it should be given everything you need to pull it off. I find that perfectly reasonable, and in fact a little weak given what else you could do with the same combination of feats.

Normally (with only Quick Draw), you would only throw as many daggers as your BAB allows with one hand. That would mean, if your BAB is high enough, four daggers and then step and draw your sword. Again, I don't see a problem with that given that, best case scenario, you'll be Level 16 before you can do it.

Please, explain how this is so powerful (especially given how weak daggers are and how you likely won't be getting through DR with any of them at that level).

gogo_jerrick said:
A bit extreme and high level, but it shows what a difference 1 feat can make, when normally the same character could only throw 2 daggers before whipping out a sword (and not having his move)

Except for that one feat to do what you described, you need four other feats, a spell effect, and a high BAB. The spin stops here, buddy. You can't just throw everything but the kitchen sink with enough free actions. Your BAB limits you absolutely to four attacks unless you have yet more feats. There is no way, with only Quick Draw, that you could ever get more than four attacks unless you take massive penalties on every single one of them. Again, not broken in the least.

I see a whole bunch of invalid examples here that can't be done without the help of other feats. I'm not seeing even one instance where Quick Draw, alone, can break things.

My point stands.

Coredump

Explorer
Anubis said:
My point stands.
Well, that is partly because you ignore the parts of the posts that refute your point, and sometimes consider the minutia of an opposing view, while ignore the meat.
So lets try this in small parts.

Others, not you, have put forth that QD is a weak feat, and being weak, needs to be bolstered. Thus, many of the 'counters' tend to show that it is not weak, and is applicable in many useful situations. From what I can tell, you are not making that point. (Well, you were in the beginning, but you seem to have um..... changed your stance.

The two points I do see you making are:
1) Since you (Anubis) can already 'quick draw', and you are not trained, then it is unrealistic to insist that a DnD character spend a feat to get QD.

2) It is okay to give it away for 'free', since it is not an overpowering 'broken' feat.

Hopefully I have at least gotten your 'points'.

Now to reply to them.
1a) I believe that you can draw really fast. So can I. But.... if you are standing next to someone, and their sword is out, does it *totally* not matter if your sword is sheathed or out? Are you *equally* prepared when your sword is in your hand or in your scabbard? Because *that* is what the QD feat means. It means that Joe Fighter is as prepared with his sword in the scabbard as when it is in his hand, it makes *no* difference.
1b) If we are using "If Anubis can do it, then a 1st level fighter can do it" as a justification for allowing QD, then why not apply that same logic to other issues.You have also stated that you can draw, and make 4 attacks, all within 6 seconds. Therefore 1st level fighters should get 4 attacks per round. After all, you are not even trained.
1c) If the sword is already out, can't you get even more attacks? Then it means that you do *not* have QD, since you are not the same with the sword in or out of the scabbard. It also means that a 1st level fighter should get 6 attacks a round.
1d) I bet you can fire 2 arrows within 6 seconds... maybe everyone should have Rapid Shot also.

2) True, it does not really break the game to give QD away for free. But if that is a justification... lets keep going. It will not break the game to give weap focus away, so lets give everyone that. It will not break the game to give everyone improved toughness. It will not break the game to give everyone Point Blank Shot. Hey, it is like Christmas here...
We should be able to give away *any* feat, and not break the game. (At least any without prereqs, and most with.) Otherwise, it is a bad feat.

Please not, Quick Draw does *not* mean you can pull out a weapon fast. It means that you can pull out a weapon so fast, and so smooth, and with such great body mechanics and/or subterfuge, that it is the *exact same* as if you had it out the whole time. I assert that you cannot do that, and further, that you have no way of knowing if you can.
You say you have had no training, yet somehow you 'know' that
I pull fast enough that if my opponent isn't a quality opponent, he'll be taking a gash from about his right kidney to his left armpit
It is amazing the things that people with no training are sure they can do. (fighting, football, acting, whatever...) Really, you have no actual basis of for knowing if you *can* "initiate a good slash/defelct/thrust/parry routine in short order."

BTW
Should I also mention that, as far as I know, you can't Quick Draw more than once per the rules?
You are incorrect. There is no explicit limit to the number of times you can QD in a round.

You're right that I've never used a shield,
Yet you also assert
I would also proposed that drawing a weapon and readying a shield should be doable in the same action,

If you question is "Will giving away QD unbalance my campaign?" I would say no. But that is pretty much true for 80% of the feats in existance.
If your assertion is "Anything I think I can do, my character should be allowed to do" then you are headed towards a world of messed up gaming.
If your question is "Is QD a weak feat?" Then the answer has been shown (repeatedly) that it is not weak, and is useful in many situations.

Storyteller01

First Post
Can't change your mind, so I won't try. I do suggest that you find and speak with an Iaido or Iaijutsu practioner, maybe even practice with them with basic cuts only. You may find that you're speed and ability may not be an appropriate comparison. (Not attempting to be hostile).

One thing though:

please, please, PLEASE for the love of god pay attention to how you draw. The strength of a saya (scabbard), being made of wood, is illusury. The outside is strengthed with laquer and other treatments. The inside is left untreated so that it remains soft. This keeps it from dulling your blade.

Everytime you draw incorrectly, your blade bites and drags into soft wood. This is made worse when you're appling power for a cut. The added leverage forces the blade further into the wood. This wear thins the wood of the saya. There's only about 3/8 of an inch of wood between you and the blade to begin with. It WILL give if you don't pay strict attention! Make a science out of it!!!

I've seen an Iaito (unsharpened sword) split its saya after several months of improper drawing. Fortunately there were no injuries. Imagine what a live steel blade would have done. Be safe.

Last edited:

Storyteller01

First Post
Shadowlore said:
Iaijutsu is not a historic Japanese "dueling technique". It is an art that places emphasis on striking as part of drawing. Indeed in the history of dueling, it was not until the American West that we see duels taking place with weapons not drawn.

Not quite true. Japan and China have quick draw techniques for any sheathed weapon. Japan even has draw and throw techniques for tantos. There are also techniques for draw/attacks with shortswords after presenting tea to the target. Iai and gunslinging is when the public witnessed the greatest amount of use of use in said techniques.

Even Europe had quick draw technique with small straight swords. They were predominantly assassination techniques.

Last edited:

dcfan

First Post
Isn't draw weapon already a Free Action?

Could someone please explain to me why QuickDraw allows anything not already possible? The rules state that anyone with an Attack Bonus higher than +1 can draw a weapon as a Free Action as part of a move. Then the Quick Draw feat says that the person can do exactly the same thing (and the prereq is Att Bonus +1). So it seems to me that everyone already has Quick Draw!

Where am I wrong?

Storyteller01

First Post
dcfan said:
Could someone please explain to me why QuickDraw allows anything not already possible? The rules state that anyone with an Attack Bonus higher than +1 can draw a weapon as a Free Action as part of a move. Then the Quick Draw feat says that the person can do exactly the same thing (and the prereq is Att Bonus +1). So it seems to me that everyone already has Quick Draw!

Where am I wrong?

Either method still requires a move action (either you draw and move, just draw, or just move). Quick draw allows for a draw, then apply your two actions as you see fit. It also allows you to draw a weapon after you've used a move action (for those in combat surprises).

Surprise rounds get rather nasty. You've got one action. Do you draw your weapon (a move action whether you move or not) or attack. With Quick Draw, you're not in such a bind. I think :) .

Last edited:

Coredump

Explorer
Not exactly.

Normally, you can draw as part of a normal move. (ie. not withdraw/charge/etc.)

With QD you can draw as a free action, so you can do it and still full attack. Or do it in the middle of a full attack. Or do it anytime during your turn, whether you move or not.

Storyteller01

First Post
Coredump said:
Not exactly.

Normally, you can draw as part of a normal move. (ie. not withdraw/charge/etc.)

With QD you can draw as a free action, so you can do it and still full attack. Or do it in the middle of a full attack. Or do it anytime during your turn, whether you move or not.

Slight highjack. Can you take a free action in the middle of a full round action (full attack or full round spell casting)? I thought you couldn't.

Coredump

Explorer
Storyteller01 said:
Slight highjack. Can you take a free action in the middle of a full round action (full attack or full round spell casting)? I thought you couldn't.
Yep, in fact, by some readings, it is one of the only ways to do it.
From the actions in combat section of the SRD
Free Action: Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, there are reasonable limits on what you can really do for free.
From this, and a certain interpretation, you can only do them while doing something else. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads