D&D 5E Fixing the fighter (I know...)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I dunno.

Fighter Level X (whatever level you want to set it at) - When determining the DC of any Skill Athletics or Acrobatics check, subtract 5 (then 10 later on) from the DC for this level fighter. Any Athletics or Acrobatics skill check which achieves higher than 30 result allows the fighter to perform a legendary action as determined by the DM. Possible examples might be racing up the side of a mounting, running across a river, lifting an entire sailing ship out of the water.

Seems fairly simple to add something like that into the game.

Maybe - but shouldn't it also apply to at least the barbarian? What about the monk? The ranger or paladin? Why shouldn't it apply to a rogue? What about an extremely strong wizard?

That is - if it's really just an ability that is mundane - then the option for something like that should be available to quite a few classes.

Good grief. Is that meant to be English? I have absolutely no idea what this gibberish is.
There's only 2 or 3 typos tbh. I was half asleep too. When its got such minor mistakes such a post being responded to in such a way gives me cause to wonder how developed your comprehension skills are. Or should we dispense with the inanity that is this form of correspondance you have invited me to and return to more productive purposes of dialogue?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Maybe - but shouldn't it also apply to at least the barbarian? What about the monk? The ranger or paladin? Why shouldn't it apply to a rogue? What about an extremely strong wizard?
IDK, why can't the fighter rage, spend ki points, sneak attack, cast hunters quarry, compelled duel, or shield...

...oh, wait, a fighter /can/ cast shield.

Niche protection ain't what it used to be.

So, no reason, I guess.

That is - if it's really just an ability that is mundane - then the option for something like that should be available to quite a few classes.
In 5e, it seems like mundane abilities - like SA, CS dice, reliable talent, etc - are some of the least shared-around.

And yet, funnily enough, everyone else seems okay with it and can follow my point.
Uh... hate to break it to you, but some of us might not be saying more about your unproductive argument/attitude because we think it'd be a waste of our time. Doesn't mean we're okay with it. Please don't speak for us.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
How about modifying the fighter’s action surge?

I know action surge is slappy in combat but hear me out.

Movement: starting the round that the fighter uses action surge the fighters movement speed increases by 5x their proficiency modifier. (Deadpool’s maximum effort) That means at first level a fighter in heavy armor would have a movement of 35. If they dash they go 70. If I understand the rules you could do this again for a total of 105. Is that correct?

That’s 11 MPH but at twentieth they top out at 18 MPH not too shabby for someone wearing 40 lbs. of armor. Wear light armor and take mobility and bam you hit 23 MPH. You just need ten more feet of movement to hit Usain Bolt type speed of 27 MPH. (Movement of 240’ in six seconds)

For “Feats of strength” multiply weight carried or lifted by 1/2 proficiency modifier maybe this is only when using Action Surge as well.

Normally you lift, carry or drag 30 times your strength score. That is 600 lbs. for a twenty strength. At twentieth they can lift 1200 lbs. That puts them about 23 lbs. higher than the heaviest deadlift. Of course you can tweak it here and there like how much can they lift overhead? Or how much can they lift with a back lift? FWIW Paul Anderson allegedly (Guinness Book of World records) did a back lift of 6,280 lbs.

I put “allegedly” not as a slight to Mr. Anderson or the people at Guinness only to say that I got this information from a third source and made no effort to further verify.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Don't confuse "different opinion of what is 'heroic'" with "falsehood". Use it to call someone a liar, and it doesn't end well.
And yet, funnily enough, everyone else seems okay with it and can follow my point. So, no, I don't think I'm repeating falsehoods, nor bringing up things that aren't under consideration. Perhaps if you tried to actually follow the argument instead of simply launching attacks on me personally, then it might help things move forward.
Saying a fighter can never do or be heroic, that’s a falsehood. When you keep repeating it, that’s repeating falsehoods. Not sure how you can say you aren’t, and it’s not really an attack on you to point that out 🤷‍♂️

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Animal Farm.
Blink, blink I think I understand almost not at all
Well a simple feature would be akin to Reliable Talent, but progressive, and could even be part of Remarkable Athlete or stand alone:

At 3rd level, you choose either Acrobatics or Athletics. Whenever you make an ability check and can add your proficiency from the skill you have chosen, treat any result on the roll less than your level in the Fighter class as your level in Fighter. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you have finished a short or long rest.

Ex. A 10th level Fighter chose Athletics. Any roll of 9 or less on the d20 is considered a 10. At 15th level, any result below 15 would be a 15, and so on. With maximum +5 ability score modifier and +6 proficiency bonus, a 20th level Fighter would always get a total of 31.

The DM can resolve the totals however he wants really. Add Prodigy to get double your proficiency bonus and the total could be 37 even. How much that can accomplish and how legendary it is would be up to the DM, style of play, and the table.
I think getting the numbers significant especially in bursty heroic effort fashion does help but with purely freeform meaning and no precedence well ok maybe.

Saying a fighter can never do or be heroic, that’s a falsehood. When you keep repeating it, that’s repeating falsehoods. Not sure how you can say you aren’t, and it’s not really an attack on you to point that out 🤷‍♂️
Although if it were an attack it would be an absolutely valid attack. If by attack we mean rebuke.

On a side note: oooooooo deadpool! Now i REALLY do wonder how HE would be built/leveled.

Why not give fighters daily extraordinary feats of physicality based on how many hd they have. Where they can use a number of them all day limitrd by how many hit die they have and some feats cost more while some cost less?

Remove ads