Flight of the Resistance (Star Wars)

Quickleaf

Legend
Real world Comms network, they would either be using something like voip or straight radio for Comms. If transmitting sensor data is one of the things seems like voip. If it is akin to voip, by being connected to their Comms I could in theory access any systems on that same network. If they are transmitting the sensor data I would think it would be on the network. I am wanting more to give the sensor false information, nothing specific, but just enough to make their sense of where we are unreliable.

That makes sense to me.

I was thrown off by the way the books treat sensor jamming in regards to starships...where Electronics Countermeasure Suite (AoR p.286) and the Miradyne Ltd. 4X-Phantom Sensor Jammer (AoR p.267) are differentiated from a "close range comlink jammer" (AoR p.263).

Let's make it a Difficulty 2 Computers check using the jamming rules. If you succeed, you jam the walker's sensors (which can be disabling them or making a false "phantom" image of your location), and the enemy must make a Difficulty 2 Computers check as an action to get sensors back online.

Additionally, for every 2 successes you get that increases the Difficulty required by the enemy check.

And for each Triumph you get you can increase the number of targets whose sensors you jam (i.e. the two speeders which both have sensors, albeit less powerful than the walker). The shuttle is still too far out for you to attempt to jam its sensors.

Thateous

Explorer
Not that it matters but I have real world jamming experience. Jamming simply put would just require throwing up garbage on the frequency. Same thing with the sensors. Fixing the issue from a defender perspective is easy as switching frequencies or increasing power. Fun facts.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

xynthoros

First Post
If you can get ahold of the Special modifications book it has more information for the running of splicing encounters, actions that can be taken by splicers and by system administrators defending against splicers. It also gives the security level for local military networks as Hard and has a list of things that advantage and threat can be spent on.

Quickleaf

Legend
Is this a "splicing" roll? My data breaker grants +2eB to splicing rolls.

Another good question that I'm having to scour the book for...

From what I'm reading, I *think* that "slicing" has two scales: personal (which requires being physically engaged with a computer terminal) and vehicular/starship (which is ambiguous on the distance, but definitely seems to be "remote").

Relevant quotes from AoR...

p.221
[SECTION]A Slicer needs to be engaged with a security terminal to attempt to hack it.[/SECTION]

p.248
[SECTION]Slice Enemy Systems (Hard Computers check): The crewmember uses powerful shipboard computers to attempt to disrupt the systems of an enemy vehicle. If successful, he reduces the defense of one zone on the target vehicle for one round per Success. A Triumph may be spent to disable a weapon system for one round, and 2 Advantages may be spent to inflict 1 system strain on the target vehicle.[/SECTION]

And my understanding of a "Data Breaker" is that it helps with slicing computer systems by downloading and storing mass amounts of data...similar to an external hard drive.

That makes me think that a physical connection is involved, because more data is transferred more quickly over a physical connection – and that's where the data breaker comes in handy.

Remove ads