• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fling Ally Question

Taloras

First Post
Ok. Im playing a Goliath who is soon going to be getting the Fling Ally feat. The DM had a question.....his wife brought it up actually. If our parties gnome has full plate armor with armor spikes, i pick him up and throw him at someone, do I make the attack roll, or does the gnome make one for the armor spikes?

Murrdox

First Post
Technically speaking by the rules, Armor spikes really only come into play when you are grappling someone.

But once you get to the point where you're THROWING gnomes around, there's not a whole lot stopping you from just taking another baby step forward.

How about:

You need to make a touch attack to even get the gnome in contact with the target. If you miss, the gnome scatters just like a grenade-like weapon. If you hit, then the gnome gets to make an attack against the opponent, who is denied his Dex bonus against this attack. The target is not subject to sneak attacks unless he was denied his Dex bonus to AC against the initial attack. :)

For a real rules interpretation, I'd need to see the text of the Fling Ally feat.

I ended up making a cheat sheet for exactly this.. I use damage based on the size of the ally and grant +2 damage for the armored spikes.
A gnome would deal 1D6 under my system.
Same gnome would also take damage as if they fell the half the distance thrown {normal Tumble check rules apply}

I have the thrower make the attack roll, if the roll would miss the touch AC, then I use the grenade scatter to determine landing.
A STR check is used to determine how far the throwee travels...

It works pretty good.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads