• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flurry of Blows + Two Weapon Fighting?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ottergame said:
If I understand you right, you would let a monk, at first level, have 3 attacks per round, at a -4, -4, -4?

If he's wielding a staff or two monk weapons (with the off-hand weapon light), and has the Two Weapon Fighting feat, yes.

I'll trust your maths on the 20th level question and just say that yes, with the three TWF feats, I'd let him add three off-hand attacks to his normal Flurry total.

-Hyp.

Ottergame

First Post
Scion said:
Huge feat investment (min 3), penalties all over (extra negatives), useing weapons that probably do less damage than he would without useing them (assuming a standard way to let monks enhance their unnarmed strikes, 2d10 is better than most weapons)... all in all doesnt sound too bad for a character concept. Make sure at least one is a weapon of speed or get someone to cast haste on you ;)

High level magic monk weapons do impressive damage, and those penalities for attacks are negligable at that point. And the feat investiment is no different than any other class except for ranger.

I'm sticking by my guns and would not allow off hand attacks with flurry.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ottergame said:
High level magic monk weapons do impressive damage, and those penalities for attacks are negligable at that point.

Except that Two-Weapon Fighting - especially in 3.5 - tends to be lower damage output that using a big weapon anyway. The major factor in making two-weapon combat deadly is Sneak Attack damage... which monks don't get.

Give him two Vorpal kama, and the volume of attacks means something. Otherwise he's still not going to be outdamaging the barbarian.

-Hyp.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
:)

There are two possible outcomes.

Either he'll agree with the rules as written, in which case his endorsement is nice, but nothing actually changes...

... or he'll disagree with the rules as written, in which case people will point out that he hasn't read the rules in question, ignore his answer... and nothing actually changes :)
From your perspective... ;)

My perspective?

He'll agree with the rules as written, which is cool to me but not to you.

He'll disagree with the rules as written, which is not cool to me (since I'm conservative and I would never allow stacking TWF with FoB due to the lack of off hand) but cool to you.

Scion

First Post
Ottergame said:
High level magic monk weapons do impressive damage, and those penalities for attacks are negligable at that point. And the feat investiment is no different than any other class except for ranger.

High level monk weapons? d6 vs 2d10 isnt really a comparison. Monks unnarmed attacks do way more damage. -2 to all attacks isnt incredibly negligable, it does add up, plus it hinders the use of power attack or expertise (in that with less attack bonus giving up some is a bigger hit). The feat investment is still incredibly high, doesnt matter if anyone else has to pay the same. 3 feats out of 7 (or 8), as in almost half, is still a huge investment.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Ranger REG said:
He'll agree with the rules as written, which is cool to me but not to you.

He'll disagree with the rules as written, which is not cool to me (since I'm conservative and I would never allow stacking TWF with FoB due to the lack of off hand) but cool to you.

Now I'm confused.

We're talking 3.5 rules-as-written, right? The ones that don't disallow stacking TWF and FoB as long as you're not striking unarmed?

-Hyp.

Ottergame

First Post
A level 20 monk with the TWF line would have a +13 +13 +13 +8 +3 +13 +8 +3 to attack with a flurry.

A level 20 fighter with the TWF line would have a +18 +13 +8 +3 +18 +13 +8 to attack.

A level 1 monk, level 19 fighter would have +17 +17 +12 +7 +2 +17 +12 +7 to attack with a flurry.

A level 1/19 monk/fighter using 1d6 damage monk weapons is not going to do much less damage than a fighter using 2 shortswords or 2 handaxes, yet will have an additional attack. It's a pretty valuable trade off for losing a +1 tp BAB and trading a fighter's feat for a stunning fist or improved grapple and gaining a +1 +2 +2 to saves.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Scion said:
-2 to all attacks isnt incredibly negligable, it does add up, plus it hinders the use of power attack or expertise (in that with less attack bonus giving up some is a bigger hit).

And given that monk weapons - with the exception of the primary head of a quarterstaff - are light, you're mostly out of luck for Power Attacking unless you're unarmed anyway.

-Hyp.

Ottergame

First Post
Scion said:
High level monk weapons? d6 vs 2d10 isnt really a comparison. Monks unnarmed attacks do way more damage. -2 to all attacks isnt incredibly negligable, it does add up, plus it hinders the use of power attack or expertise (in that with less attack bonus giving up some is a bigger hit). The feat investment is still incredibly high, doesnt matter if anyone else has to pay the same. 3 feats out of 7 (or 8), as in almost half, is still a huge investment.

Except unless I am failing to recall something, a monk's fists cannot be made into Flaming Icy Shock Vorpral Weapons. A fighters crappy d8 damage from a longsword is nothing, it's all the magical bonuses and magic damage that's important.

Remove ads