• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flurry of Blows + Two Weapon Fighting?

Errant

First Post
I'm sure this question has probably been raised before but I can't find the thread myself so apologies if I'm flogging a dead horse.

Anyway, can a Monk gain extra attacks by using a Flurry of Blurrys in combination with the Two Weapon Fighting feat(s)?

I understand that "When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham)", a/p Flurry of Blows, 3.5E SRD. Plus the Two Weapon Fighting feat says "You can fight with a weapon in each hand. You can make one extra attack each round with the second weapon."

So does this mean if I use a 'special monk weapon' in each hand & can get bonus attacks from a Flurry of Blows PLUS another bonus attack with the 'second weapon' from the Two Weapon Fighting Feat? PLUS another bonus attack with the 'second weapon' from Improved Two Weapon Fighting?

If so, at L10 with Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved TWF, & a pair of siangham (for instance) a monk would get 5 attacks at +2/+2/+2/+2/-3.

Add another 10 levels & Greater TWF & the same monk would get 8 attacks at +5/+5/+5/+5/+5/+5/+0/-5.

That doesn't seem too overpowered to me due to the attack penalties involved in TWF, but it sure seams like a lot of attacks a round.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I'd say no. It's stretching the rules. Ask yourself: Is it the designers intention that monks with two sianghams should be able to attack more often than anyone else?

rtricher

First Post
I'd say sure why not.. if that's what you want to do with your monk and feat selections go for it a +2 to hit at level 10 most likely won't hit all that often so the way I see it he's not overpowered at all. Oh and at level 20 a +5 to hit good luck hitting that 20lvl figther with AC 32..

Ottergame

First Post
No, because Flurry of Blows IS a monks version of Two Weapon Fighting. The only use he'd get from TWF is if he was using non-monk weapons, then in which case he'd use his non-unarmed BAB and the normal rules for using two weapons.

A monk does not have an off hand attack using unarmed strikes or monk weapons, so he gains no benifit from the TWF feats.

Darklone said:
In 3.5 it works. You can use Flurry of Blows with ONE weapon after all.

nice contradiction.

how do you think TWO-weapon fighting would apply?

spare me dubious rule quotes and please don't mention the TWO in TWO-weapon fighting is just flavor text.

Darklone

brendan candries said:
nice contradiction.

spare me dubious rule quotes and please don't mention the TWO in TWO-weapon fighting is just flavor text.
Excuse me, I am not sure what you mean.

And please excuse dubious rules quotes, we are in the Rules forum.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
brendan candries said:
nice contradiction.

Flurry of blows allows for additional attacks at a level dependant penalty when making a Full Attack action. Two Weapon fighting allows additional attacks at a penalty when making a Full Attack action. Things which grant additional attacks when making a Full Attack action stack with each other unless stated other wise. For example Haste stacks with TWF but does not stack Speed with because it is stated not to. As far as I can see no rule states that Flurry of Blows and Two Weapon Fighting do not stack.

Also here are some old threads on this issue.
Flurry of Blows
Flurry of Blows and Two Weapon Fighting
[3.5] Monks and two weapons

Stalker0

Legend
Camarath said:
Flurry of blows allows for additional attacks at a level dependant penalty when making a Full Attack action. Two Weapon fighting allows additional attacks at a penalty when making a Full Attack action. Things which grant additional attacks when making a Full Attack action stack with each other unless stated other wise. For example Haste stacks with TWF but does not stack Speed with because it is stated not to. As far as I can see no rule states that Flurry of Blows and Two Weapon Fighting do not stack.

Also here are some old threads on this issue.
Flurry of Blows
Flurry of Blows and Two Weapon Fighting
[3.5] Monks and two weapons

I agree, there are some old sage advice and other things that said you couldn't... but that's before 3.5, and flurry has changed since then.

MichaelH

First Post
Ottergame said:
The only use he'd get from TWF is if he was using non-monk weapons, then in which case he'd use his non-unarmed BAB and the normal rules for using two weapons.
In 3.5, there is no more BAB and unarmed BAB for monks. Monks simply use their BAB like every other class. Monk weapons can be used in a flurry of blows.

Remove ads