• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fog of War for Maps

Dieselman

First Post
I stumbled on to this method of hiding map sections for your players. I didn't like any of the options that I had seen or used (covering with paper, drawing as you go, etc.) so I tried cotton balls. Below pic is poor and I needed more cotton balls than my quick raid of my wife's supply could yield, but I think you get the idea. You can be very selective of where you remove them and it really has been working well so I though I'd share.

fog of war.jpg

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
That is a GREAT idea!

The only issue is I use large preprinted battle maps.

So (1) I'll need a LOT of cotton balls and (2) I'll need all the players at my table to leave the room or cover their eyes while I lay down the paper and cover it in cotton balls.

Dieselman

First Post
Understood, MNblockhead. My maps are about 3' x 2' max and I have the luxury of laying them out ahead of time. I've since had to actually purchase instead of pilfer the cotton balls from my better half. I was relieved to find that they're only about $2 for 200. I find that 400 covers that 3' x 2' area with plenty to spare. I play at home, so transport is not a big deal for me, as they are rather bulky. They take up a grocery bag's worth of volume, so if you're traveling with your GM gear and sensitive to space, you might have to leave them at the game location or find a different solution.

Either way, thanks for the read and the comments!

darjr

I crit!
I’ve seen felt circles of different sizes used as fog of war. I’ve used a blanket, though I intend to get felt circles.4BB82A06-A3F6-49E0-A8F0-DE065DB3220B.jpg

Remove ads