• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forcecage + Dimensional lock = screwed?

starwed

First Post
You can actually make an escape artist check to squeeze through a solid force effect. Granted, the DC is 120, but it's still (technically) a possibility.

There's a psionic feat called Burrowing Power which can let you attempt to bypass force effects. While it does state that the power "skips through the Astral Plane" dimensional lock seems to block literal travel only, saying explicitly that it does not block "extradimensional attack forms."

That said, I'd agree with the "force cage is too powerful" camp. Simply disallowing the solid version would probably make it ok. (Note that there aren't 'all sorts of ways to dispel it'. Just like a wall of force, it's immune to everything except disintegrate, disjunction, and a rod of cancellation.)

javcs

First Post
Felix said:
[Emphasis added]

It's a different spell from Forcecage, but it is an Evocation [Force] spell that creates a very similar effect (by creating restricting force walls to contain and protect a subject). I have no problem applying the Sphere's breathes-normally clause to Forcecage, although strictly speaking this is not necessarily the case.
Actually, Resilient sphere has nothing in the description that relates it to wall of force.

Thanee

First Post
Just throw a Cloudkill in for good measure... then you got the standard procedure for using Forcecage.

1) Cloudkill
2) Dimensional Lock
3) Forcecage

A decent high-level wizard (not epic) can do all of those within a single round. :)

Bye
Thanee

Nail

First Post
green slime said:
Ah shoot!
You were pro'ly fooled by this, weren't you?

Keep in mind that was a specially researched spell, as explained here.

Unless it's a Rich's Plot Device(TM), you can't burrow out of a forcecage.

Felix

Explorer
javcs said:
Actually, Resilient sphere has nothing in the description that relates it to wall of force.
SRD said:
SRD said:
Forcecage

Evocation [Force]

Their identical descriptors don't relate them?

And I suppose you missed the part in my post where I said:

I have no problem applying the Sphere's breathes-normally clause to Forcecage, although strictly speaking this is not necessarily the case.​

The ruling to allow trapped creatures to breathe inside a Forcecage is done to balance a spell that has no saving throw and does not allow SR to keep it from becoming an insta-kill; Resilient Sphere provides precident that Evocation [Force] spells will allow trapped creatures to breathe normally.

You have a problem with this?

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Thanee said:
Just throw a Cloudkill in for good measure... then you got the standard procedure for using Forcecage.

1) Cloudkill
2) Dimensional Lock
3) Forcecage

A decent high-level wizard (not epic) can do all of those within a single round. :)

Okay, I'll bite. How do you do all three within a single round?

Actually, I've had enough problems doing the Dimensional Lock and Forcecage in one round, not having a Greater Metamagic Rod (Quicken).

I'm guessing a scroll and a minion with a good Use magic Device score factor in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads