• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forcecage + Dimensional lock = screwed?

Nail

First Post
How to do all three? Here's one way:

Quicken (metamagic rod or sudden metamagic) Dimensional Lock
Contingency (Cloudkill)
Std Act cast Forcecage

Careful where you arrange the Cloudkill, or you won't be able to see your target for the Forcecage!

Jack Simth

First Post
Of course, what's really interesting?

Dimensional Lock allows SR. So if you've got a Wizard with, say, Shapechange and Dimension Door, it's only going to cost him an action (turn into one of the golems with Magic Immunity, Dimension Door out). Also works somewhat with monks, or with anyone under a Spell Resistence cast by a caster level pumped cleric. Or even better, Greater Spell Immunity.

kerbarian

Explorer
Nail said:
How to do all three? Here's one way:

Quicken (metamagic rod or sudden metamagic) Dimensional Lock
Contingency (Cloudkill)
Std Act cast Forcecage

Careful where you arrange the Cloudkill, or you won't be able to see your target for the Forcecage!
For Contingency, "The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person". For area spells, I generally interpret that to mean that it has to be centered on the caster, which is awkward for Cloudkill.

Timestop would certainly work, but the first thing I thought of was Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability. Have the caster handle Dimensional Lock and Forcecage while the familiar casts Cloudkill.

green slime

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Of course, what's really interesting?

Dimensional Lock allows SR. So if you've got a Wizard with, say, Shapechange and Dimension Door, it's only going to cost him an action (turn into one of the golems with Magic Immunity, Dimension Door out). Also works somewhat with monks, or with anyone under a Spell Resistence cast by a caster level pumped cleric. Or even better, Greater Spell Immunity.

If the Golem is immune to magic, how is it managing to dimension door anywhere?

Sejs

First Post
green slime said:
If the Golem is immune to magic, how is it managing to dimension door anywhere?

He can take a standard action to lower his immunity, due to it working as infinite SR.

On the other hand, lowering his SR would mean he's subject to the Dimensional Lock. ;)

Vuron

First Post
kerbarian said:
For Contingency, "The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person". For area spells, I generally interpret that to mean that it has to be centered on the caster, which is awkward for Cloudkill.

Timestop would certainly work, but the first thing I thought of was Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability. Have the caster handle Dimensional Lock and Forcecage while the familiar casts Cloudkill.

I'd have to concur that setting up a contingency of "Cast Cloudkill on whatever I cast Forcecage on" is somewhat dubious.

Further as the forcecage (windowless cell variant) blocks spells from being cast through the cage wouldn't it prevent the casting of cloudkill inside of the forcecage? Yes a contigency is instantaneous but it seems odd to have the contigent spell take form before the primary spell takes form. Obviously you can't have forcecage as the contingent spell as it's spell level is too high.

As for the Time Stop method that definitely seems like it wouldn't be able to work as Time Stop specifically notes it can't be used to target creatures. Thus forcecage and cloudkill wouldn't be acceptable spells to cast during timestop.

The familiar method would certainly work though.

moritheil

First Post
Sejs said:
He can take a standard action to lower his immunity, due to it working as infinite SR.

On the other hand, lowering his SR would mean he's subject to the Dimensional Lock. ;)

You don't need to lower your SR to benefit from spells that you yourself cast. ;)

srd said:
A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Vuron said:
As for the Time Stop method that definitely seems like it wouldn't be able to work as Time Stop specifically notes it can't be used to target creatures. Thus forcecage and cloudkill wouldn't be acceptable spells to cast during timestop.
Neither cloudkill nor forcecage are Targeted spells.

Nail

First Post
kerbarian said:
True; my mistake.

There's really no point in trying to make Continency work (you could, it would just be more work for the payoff....maybe you could use Project Image...at least it would be possible at 15th level!). Timestop is better.

As for placing the Forcecage, I'm assuming the Cloudkill has to be placed first, with the creature you want dead at the edge of (but within) the cloud. Since Cloudkill works as Fog Cloud, you can see creatures "within 5 feet" of the edge, so you can place the Forcecage around the creature without difficulty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads