• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forcecage + Dimensional lock = screwed?

Vuron

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Neither cloudkill nor forcecage are Targeted spells.

Going over the rules it seems you are correct, technically speaking several delayed blast fireballs inside of the forcecage might also prove a decent strategy for a combo.

Black Tentacles might be worthwhile as well to help prevent the effected party from using a disintegrate.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nail said:
As for placing the Forcecage, I'm assuming the Cloudkill has to be placed first, with the creature you want dead at the edge of (but within) the cloud. Since Cloudkill works as Fog Cloud, you can see creatures "within 5 feet" of the edge, so you can place the Forcecage around the creature without difficulty.
I don't understand why seeing the creature is necessary if you can see him prior to the cloudkill. You know where you intend to place the forcecage, so just do it. The idea here is that you will cast these spells in succession without your opponent doing something in between, so he doesn't move. You don't need to see where you cast the forcecage because it's not Targeted.

Vuron

First Post
Nail said:
By that level (ECL 17+), fire resistance is common. DBF is a "has-been". :)

Well Poison Immunity isn't exactly uncommon at those ECLs either. Many of the garden variety opponents (Demons, Devils, Undead) wouldn't be troubled by cloudkill. Of course at the levels we are talking about where PCs can use a timestop to implement such a sophisticated gambit one could also reasonably expect energy admixture or energy substitution to be used to help out the DBF.

Vuron

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Acid Fog works OK too?

Good for those that laugh at cloudkill...

Acid Fog would work but it's got a pretty minimal damage curve for the type of targets you would be aiming at catching in this sort of scenario. I think Black tentacles would provide better benefit with a lower level spell.

Exalted or Vile spells would be a good choice depending on alignment.

There are a good number of other feats that would definitely help with fire immunity as well.

Nail

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
You don't need to see where you cast the forcecage because it's not Targeted.
...but you do have to pick the area. Don't you have to have line-of-sight (as well as line-of-effect) to that place? Hmmmm......<looks up "Aiming a Spell: Area">.... I guess not.

FWIW, the size of the forcecage makes Summon Monolith less than ideal in the current scenario. Sigh. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads