• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forcecage + Dimensional lock = screwed?

Nail

First Post
Vuron said:
I think Black tentacles would provide better benefit with a lower level spell.
Since the windowless cell has a "force floor", the tentacles would be outside the cell, and thus ineffective against those trapped within. EBT won't work here.

Vuron

First Post
Nail said:
Since the windowless cell has a "force floor", the tentacles would be outside the cell, and thus ineffective against those trapped within. EBT won't work here.

Ahh I figured that you could in theory have the forcecage "floor" generate the tentacles but that would predicate that the cage be in place before the tentacles could be cast and then the force effect would block the spell.

In order for the tentacles to work it seems the victim would almost certainly have to be partially submerged in a liquid thus you could use the liquid caught inside of the cage to generate the tentacles.

Jack Simth

First Post
Nail said:
Evocations don't have the Conjouration restriction against being brought into being where something else is. You can put a couple inches of dirt or whatever inside the cage.

Nah, the real reason you don't use Black Tenctacles is that they don't re-grapple someone who's escaped, unless the escapee walks back into the area.

Nail

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Evocations don't have the Conjouration restriction against being brought into being where something else is. You can put a couple inches of dirt or whatever inside the cage.
Uhm.

You missed the point.

Jack, the caster doesn't have a line-of-effect to inside the windowless cell, so he can't put a spell effect in there (without some feat like burrowing power, etc), soil or no soil.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nail said:
Uhm.

You missed the point.

Jack, the caster doesn't have a line-of-effect to inside the windowless cell, so he can't put a spell effect in there (without some feat like burrowing power, etc), soil or no soil.
And I think you missed his point. ;) Jack's idea is that you cast the black tentacles and then shear off the top layer of soil (containing the tentacles) with the forcecage. This won't work, however, as you do not have line of effect with the "solid" surface of the soil. The water idea by Vuron, however, would probably work. I suppose you could argue that loose soil does not block line of effect, but I think that's a very thin argument. YMMV.

All in agreement, say "aye". :D

Nail

First Post
Huh.

If that's what he's thinking, then I'd point him at that "line-of-effect" rule, again. If the soil's "loose enough to see through" it's not soil --> It's called a dust cloud. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads