• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Chris Luckhurst

First Post
Wouldn't mind a way of converting the finishing product to a Google Sites compatible Spreadsheet. Doesn't show up well. I tried a Print to PDF, embed as PDF.. but it scale sucks. Just trying to find away to integrated sheets ..

Taed

First Post
I'm a big fan of the tool, but I'm concerned that it may disappear at some point due to copyright infringement. Of course, I don't know how WotC feels about it, but other 5e character tools have disappeared allegedly for that reason. The infringement that I would think goes too far is the copying all of the text from all of the spells. Have you thought about this potential future issue? Any contact from WotC?

Mergon

First Post
I don't think copy infringment is an issue since everything I've seen comes from the downloadable player companions (that I believe). Also, with over 700k downloads, I think WotC would have stop this magnificent spreadsheet by now.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
This tool is the best out there ForgedAnvil so very thankful for all the efforts.

I have a question around Paladin Oath spells in that they currently count towards the daily allocation of prepared spells but the PH text suggests they shouldn't -

O a t h Sp e l l s
Each oath has a list of associated spells. You gain
access to these spells at the levels specified in the oath
description. Once you gain access to an oath spell, you
always have it prepared. Oath spells don’t count against
the number o f spells you can prepare each day.

If I select them on the spellcasting sheet as "prepared", they are taken off and count to the total you are allowed from the regular spell list.

Maybe being somewhat of a newbie I am missing something... Does the drop down "dot" actual apply to oath spells in this case?

Thank you again I absolutely couldn't play now without it!!!

Great to hear you are getting a lot of value using the tool. With the Paladin (and other classes that get "domain" spells that are always prepared), the total number of prepared spells include the Oath spells. Oath spells will be shown below each spell level list and inform the user to select these and how many are remaining, it does not automatically check the prepared check box cell. So yes, the drop down "dot" actually applies for oath spells in this case and the character must always have the oath spells prepared.

Taed

First Post
I don't think copy infringment is an issue since everything I've seen comes from the downloadable player companions (that I believe).

The spreadsheet contains all of the spell text (not just the names of spells) from the _PHB_ and _Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide_. Spell names could be argued to be fair use, but not 75 or so pages of full text. The short spell summaries that are used on the printed sheets would also seemingly fall under fair use.

You may not have noticed all of the spell text as it's on the Spellcasting sheet at the bottom and you choose the spell and it gives you the full text.

Also note that "downloadable" does not mean the same as "public domain".

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
I'm a big fan of the tool, but I'm concerned that it may disappear at some point due to copyright infringement. Of course, I don't know how WotC feels about it, but other 5e character tools have disappeared allegedly for that reason. The infringement that I would think goes too far is the copying all of the text from all of the spells. Have you thought about this potential future issue? Any contact from WotC?

Hi Taed, firstly thanks for your concern on the tool disappearing - a gentle reminder that you will still have the free tool "as is" and can use this an unlimited number of times if anything does happen in the future (legal or otherwise). All good things must come to end at some point, nothing lasts forever... so no need for concern, focus on enjoying the game and having fun with friends and the free time you have! Life is too short...

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Version 1.63 Released

Version 1.63 is now released and available in the downloads section.
Download here - ForgedAnvil 5E Character Generator and take a moment and rate thisif you like it, thank you!

V1.63 20 Dec 2015
- Corrected Variants lists for "Standard" infernal Tiefling
- Skills no correctly show for Barbarian and Tiger Totem at level 6
- Fixed bug for Monks - Disciple of the Elements feature, displays details correctly
- All Pantheons from SCAG added
- SCAG cantrips now appear in dropdown list for Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster
- Entering 0 in QTY now sets weight to 0lb, if QTY is left blank sets QTY to 1
- Added Investigator variant to Backgrounds
- Fixed Perception skill of Half-Wood Elf and Half-High Elf
- Support for 3 Custom Subclasses see examples in Example Character Zenith file (Wizard Artificer, Ranger Deep Stalker)
- Added Saving Throws proficiency for Custom Subclasses
- Various bug fixes, spelling corrections and tool enhancements

Let me know if you find issues, enjoy!

Thank you for everyone's feedback this year, hope you've enjoyed the development of the tool in 2015 (63 official released versions from March 2015 to Dec 2015) and more importantly enjoyed the gaming experience using the character generator. Thank you to all who have sent me an ice cold beer (or 3), this certainly helped during my work on the new features, bug fixes and new content. Enjoy the rest of 2015, have a great break over the festive season and I hope you all have plenty of gaming with friends and family. I'll be back in 2016, happy new year!

Show your support, buy me a beer with PayPal

Last edited:

Hrrunstar

Explorer
Thanks again for an exceptional tool and all the hard work you have put into it; it has been a real time saver for me and my peeps! :)

Here's hoping the holidays bring you and all a reason to be of good cheer and a happy new year to one and all!

Ridiculous

First Post
Hello Mr ForgedAnvil,

Great sheet you have! I did notice a discrepancy. I'm new to DnD 5e but I did notice in the Player's Book that Unarmored Defence is different for the barb and monk classes.

Barb: Unarmored Defence is 10 + DEX Modifier + CON Modifier
Monk: Unarmored Defence is 10 +DEX Modifier + WIS Modifier

It is incorrect in the details section of explaining unarmored defence for both as well

Barb
Current: While you are wearing no armor, your AC is equal to 15. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.
Should be: While you are wearing no armor, your AC is equal to 10 + DEX Modifier + CON Modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Monk
Current: While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC is equal to 15
Should be: While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC is equal to 10 + DEX Modifier + WIS Modifier

Once again thanks for making this wonderful tool! Beer coming your way:)

Last edited:

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Hello Mr ForgedAnvil,

Great sheet you have! I did notice a discrepancy. I'm new to DnD 5e but I did notice in the Player's Book that Unarmored Defence is different for the barb and monk classes.

Barb: Unarmored Defence is 10 + DEX Modifier + CON Modifier
Monk: Unarmored Defence is 10 +DEX Modifier + WIS Modifier

It is incorrect in the details section of explaining unarmored defence for both as well

Barb
Current: While you are wearing no armor, your AC is equal to 15. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.
Should be: While you are wearing no armor, your AC is equal to 10 + DEX Modifier + CON Modifier. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Monk
Current: While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC is equal to 15
Should be: While you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC is equal to 10 + DEX Modifier + WIS Modifier

Once again thanks for making this wonderful tool! Beer coming your way:)

Thanks for the feedback! Always enjoy a cold beer in the festive season so thanks

The AC is automatically calculated, if a Barbarian or Monk dons armor (select armor in the Start sheet) the Base AC value will change. If a Monk uses a shield (select shield in the Start sheet) the Base AC will change, a Barbarian's Base AC will not change if only using a shield. Try it out to see the calculations

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads