D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

Dannyboy7702

First Post
This sheet is amazing. I love it so much man. I donated $10.

I'm new to this thread so I'm not update to date on things but does the guys who made this plan on updating this with Xanathar's subclasses and new spells anytime soon? He'll be getting another donation the second he does.

INB4: Yes, I know you can add your own classes. I'll do that but still, I'm just asking.

The short answer is.... Yes, Xanathar's Guide will be added. ForgedAnvil created the CS, he updates it on his personal time and others have been helping him. An updated version could be available as early as December (but don't count on it).

INB4? This CS has the ability for custom subclasses, but not custom classes.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
First of all TY FA for this awesome spreadshhet, my friends and I use it all the time. Freaking outstanding job as I know all of the attention to detail that is takes to make the formulas work.

The only question that I am asking comes from a friend of mine that is currently playing a Lvl 7 Fighter (battlemaster). He has chosen his battlemaster maneuvers from the dropdown list provided from the start tab and we were wondering if it reflects anywhere on character sheet 1.

We may have simply missed any indications of it on the character sheet. If not, are there any plans to implement these manuevers to the active features section just like certain feats have.... A good example that I can think off the top of my head is the sharpshooter feat.... when selected the added benefits are displayed under the active feature section.

Again thx for the awesomwe work being done.

Tinnuon 6 Rogue / 1 Fighter

There is no area on CS1 that indicates the battle master maneuvers. You can find the number combat superiority dice under the "Active Features" on CS1. For a detailed description of the battle master maneuvers you can find them in the "Race, Background, Class & Feat" section of CS4.

Caesar Agumbus

First Post
First, and obviously, I want to thank FA (and his helpers/supporters) for this great builder. When I first started playing 5e, as with most games I've played, I searched for some sort of character builder, found this one, and it's still my go-to. Not sure the first version I used, but I've been using v1.64 for a while now, and just today downloaded v2.27. I use Excel 2013 on PC running Windows 7. I've looked in the Community FAQ & Instructions for Use pdfs, and attempted to search this thread, but have been unable to locate an answer to my issue(s). Most likely due to limits of my search-fu in relation to my patience of sifting through results.

My issue w/2.27: I cannot get the "Import Character" function to work at all.

My issue with all versions (which I'm realizing may be the root cause of my issue above): I've long lamented the fact that I've been unable to save character data from the builder without outright renaming a save of the full spreadsheet. Maybe that is just due to my limited understanding of Excel's more complex functions, but similar builders for other games have had obvious means to save characters without saving huge spreadsheet files. It has always bothered me, but the relative ease of re-entering in this generator kept it from bothering me enough to search out an answer. At least, until my attempts to use the new (to me) obvious import tool failed when I attempted to import those renamed full files.

So, FA (or others), do you have a solution to my problem? What am I overlooking?

Dannyboy7702

First Post
First, and obviously, I want to thank FA (and his helpers/supporters) for this great builder. When I first started playing 5e, as with most games I've played, I searched for some sort of character builder, found this one, and it's still my go-to. Not sure the first version I used, but I've been using v1.64 for a while now, and just today downloaded v2.27. I use Excel 2013 on PC running Windows 7. I've looked in the Community FAQ & Instructions for Use pdfs, and attempted to search this thread, but have been unable to locate an answer to my issue(s). Most likely due to limits of my search-fu in relation to my patience of sifting through results.

My issue with all versions (which I'm realizing may be the root cause of my issue above): I've long lamented the fact that I've been unable to save character data from the builder without outright renaming a save of the full spreadsheet. Maybe that is just due to my limited understanding of Excel's more complex functions, but similar builders for other games have had obvious means to save characters without saving huge spreadsheet files. It has always bothered me, but the relative ease of re-entering in this generator kept it from bothering me enough to search out an answer. At least, until my attempts to use the new (to me) obvious import tool failed when I attempted to import those renamed full files.

So, FA (or others), do you have a solution to my problem? What am I overlooking?

You are using a really old version of the CS. Because of that the "Import Character" function for v2.27 will not work, as there have been some major changes to the CS since v1.64. With that being said, you're gonna have to manually enter all of your information from v1.64 to v2.27.

Additionally, given the nature of the CS and Excel, when saving a character build you will have to just rename the whole file. Saving a character build using the "Save As" function, allows you maintain the originally character sheet so that it can be used for future builds without downloading it again.

Also, the CS file isn't that big.

Caesar Agumbus

First Post
You are using a really old version of the CS. Because of that the "Import Character" function for v2.27 will not work, as there have been some major changes to the CS since v1.64. With that being said, you're gonna have to manually enter all of your information from v1.64 to v2.27.

Additionally, given the nature of the CS and Excel, when saving a character build you will have to just rename the whole file. Saving a character build using the "Save As" function, allows you maintain the originally character sheet so that it can be used for future builds without downloading it again.

Also, the CS file isn't that big.

I thought the age of v1.64 might be the culprit, thanks.

I have been "save as" renaming before, and can continue that. You're right, the files aren't huge, but they're larger than a memory miser like me would like. Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly (as I don't have it on this computer), but I'm pretty sure I had a D&D 3.5 Excel builder that could save individual character data on some sort of file that was a fraction of the full spreadsheet size, and could be imported back into the spreadsheet.

Oh well, it's still an awesome game aid.

smbakeresq

Explorer

I don't really get what you are saying.

1. Save the base version of the FA Builder.

2. For each PC you create, save it separately for each PC.

3. To use each PC sheet you just open that PC sheet, not the base version.

4. Import works, but only goes back a few versions. 1.64 is way to far back as far as I know.

5. The files are not that big, 8-9 MB each.

smbakeresq

Explorer

I have been "save as" renaming before, and can continue that. You're right, the files aren't huge, but they're larger than a memory miser like me would like. Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly (as I don't have it on this computer), but I'm pretty sure I had a D&D 3.5 Excel builder that could save individual character data on some sort of file that was a fraction of the full spreadsheet size, and could be imported back into the spreadsheet.

One Drive is your friend and its free with a gigantic amount of storage 1 TB.

The new version is greatly improved over the 1.64. I have been playing mostly from the Character Summary sheet, as its all info on one sheet. There is a way, but I do not know how, that when you take off blank spaces off the spell sheet it will make whats left bigger.

Last edited:

Caesar Agumbus

First Post
I don't really get what you are saying.

1. Save the base version of the FA Builder.

2. For each PC you create, save it separately for each PC.

3. To use each PC sheet you just open that PC sheet, not the base version.

4. Import works, but only goes back a few versions. 1.64 is way to far back as far as I know.

5. The files are not that big, 8-9 MB each.

What I'm saying is that:

1. I've been doing it as you described in your 1-3.

2. I'm incredibly stingy with memory, and while 8-9 MB is larger than I would LIKE, it is not larger than I can settle for if there is no other option.

3. I remember (possibly incorrectly, I've used a lot of builders over the years) using Excel based character builders before that while their spreadsheets were 5+ MB, they had a means of saving character data as some sort of importable file less than 1 MB, which could be imported to populate the spreadsheet. So, instead of my character builder folder being over 200 MB, it would only be around 30 MB. Thus I was hoping someone could enlighten me on a way to do that with this one.

Dannyboy7702

First Post

Glad your issue was just a version issue. Also, 3.5 was almost 13 years ago and Excel was completely different 13 years ago.

Remove ads