D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

epithet

Explorer
It still is. Nothing is stopping FA from making this tool, as making and using it for personal use falls under the fair use clause (or so I assume, not being a lawyer myself). The problem is distributing it, because it contains copyrighted and protected material. To make it fully compliant with what WotC/Hasbro allows, and yet make it fairly easy for the user to re-add that material, is a huge task and I do not know if FA is up for the task given his RL time issues.

I hope that FA is already talking with WotC/Hasbro to work something out. If so, he isn't talking. Probably can't talk about it IF he is working on something (lawyers, again).

Hasbro has sent a DCMA nastygram to ENWorld demanding that the site stop hosting the Forged Anvil file for download. All that means is that there is an allegation on Hasbro's part, one which they know no one will challenge because there is no profit in it and Hasbro has attorneys on staff.

There has been no finding that distribution of the character generator does not fall under the protection of "fair use" of the material. "Because I said so" doesn't mean anything except to EN World, who can't afford the legal fees to challenge the takedown demand. If FA asserts that the character generator falls under the fair use provision, and Hasbro asserts that it does not, then nothing has been resolved.

My point is that nothing is keeping anyone from asking for or providing a copy of this sheet, the only demand from Hasbro has been for EN World to stop hosting it for download. As long as FA wants to keep working on it, this is just an inconvenience.

I love how people keep asking for the unlock password. In my experience, Excel is *exactly* secure enough that if you can't figure a way to get around the password protection, you probably shouldn't be rooting around behind it anyway. :cool:

Extremely sad to see this CS leave En World. I hope for the best for Forged and dearly hope that if 2.28 is ever completed and Xanathar's is completely added, he will find a way to let the 1.2M downloaders who helped him 'error check his own personal CS' continue to provide him with the invaluable error reports we have provided in the past. o_O

Thanks for an incredibly indispensable tool.

Dan Bonser

First Post
My 2 cents

There is an app (or two) on the app store (Fight Club and GM 5 for example) that have a base layout and then you can douload files to update it to give it the functionality. You can find those files in different areas. I know that it would take effort, but this sheet could be converted to that format. We could get the base and then others could host the files that it uses. To import classes, feats, races....

Remove ads