D&D 5E Forgotten Realms: Rising from the Last Realms Shaking Event

Hussar

Legend
Not casual fans in general, narcissistic casual fans that don't want the rest of the setting detailed for the rest of us, because they are happy with the Swordcoast, so screw FR fans. That does not describe most casual gamers, a tiny minority in fact I believe, but an infuriating group.

And I only care about others TTRPG choices when they actively try and take away mine and others. Hussar who wants to deny others choice, I want to increase it.

And I love 5e Paladin, best Paladins ever. Especially Gnomish Paladin's with Rapiers, because every 5e book should have Gnomish Paladins dual wielding rapiers.

No. You misunderstand. I don’t care either way.

I’m explaining why you are not going to get what you want. Not that I don’t want you to. Just that you are just not going to get it.

As a greyhawk fan, I really do understand your complaint.

Hussar

Legend
I look at it like this. I’m not going to buy a Grand FR Tour book unless it’s supported by multiple modules. I have no interest in it.

So, if WotC wants the casual FR player to move out into the broader setting, they need adventure support first. Just like with SCAG, where you had what two, three full FR campaigns ready to go and another in the works before you got a setting book.

Eberron is going the other direction and giving folks the setting book first. We’ll see how well this does.

I have a sneaking suspicion that after an initial flash, without serious adventure support, it’ll fade in a few months like the Ravnica book did.

If you want broader FR support, you need the big honking adventures first.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I look at it like this. I’m not going to buy a Grand FR Tour book unless it’s supported by multiple modules. I have no interest in it.

So, if WotC wants the casual FR player to move out into the broader setting, they need adventure support first. Just like with SCAG, where you had what two, three full FR campaigns ready to go and another in the works before you got a setting book.

Eberron is going the other direction and giving folks the setting book first. We’ll see how well this does.

I have a sneaking suspicion that after an initial flash, without serious adventure support, it’ll fade in a few months like the Ravnica book did.

If you want broader FR support, you need the big honking adventures first.

Eberron support is from the AL and Keith Baker: with the DMsGuild, he has the perfect platform for supporting the setting.

Ravnica hasn't really faded, it still sells like gangbusters and Magic people are playing there.

Hussar

Legend
Eberron support is from the AL and Keith Baker: with the DMsGuild, he has the perfect platform for supporting the setting.

Ravnica hasn't really faded, it still sells like gangbusters and Magic people are playing there.

I do think you're right. The support is there, just not from WotC. Which is very cool. Ravnica? Selling like gangbusters? Well, I'll take your word for it, but looking at Amazon, it's not exactly glowing. It's only been out for a year and it's fallen pretty far down the pack. I mean, it's sharing its position with SCAG and SCAG is almost four years old. Give it another year or so, and it's likely going to be somewhere near the bottom of the pack.

Like I said, I'll take your word for it. I just haven't seen any buzz about it at all. No modules, nothing particularly on DM's Guild, or the D&D Reddits. It could easily be I'm looking in the wrong places.

But, we'll see where the Eberron book is in a year and that will likely be enough data to start seeing a pattern.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I do think you're right. The support is there, just not from WotC. Which is very cool. Ravnica? Selling like gangbusters? Well, I'll take your word for it, but looking at Amazon, it's not exactly glowing. It's only been out for a year and it's fallen pretty far down the pack. I mean, it's sharing its position with SCAG and SCAG is almost four years old. Give it another year or so, and it's likely going to be somewhere near the bottom of the pack.

Like I said, I'll take your word for it. I just haven't seen any buzz about it at all. No modules, nothing particularly on DM's Guild, or the D&D Reddits. It could easily be I'm looking in the wrong places.

But, we'll see where the Eberron book is in a year and that will likely be enough data to start seeing a pattern.

The Ravnica Reddit and Magic groups are where the Ravnica discussion is at. As a point of comparison, look at the current sales for Ravnica on Amazon versus, say, anything Pathfinder related. And SCAG hasn't slowed down after four years, no particular reason I can see to think Ravnica won't keep selling.

Hussar

Legend
The Ravnica Reddit and Magic groups are where the Ravnica discussion is at. As a point of comparison, look at the current sales for Ravnica on Amazon versus, say, anything Pathfinder related. And SCAG hasn't slowed down after four years, no particular reason I can see to think Ravnica won't keep selling.

We'll just have to wait and see. To be honest, I hope you're right and the market is set for more setting guides. They might not be what I'm particularly interested in, but, I do know that it would make lots of folks happy. And, hopefully, more settings might get opened up on DMsGuild.

Which all leads back to Greyhawk FINALLY getting some loving. :D I'm not all about altruism. :D

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter

On the contrary... in my opinion Eberron won't "fade" because it won't actually build overwhelmingly in the first place. It will be played by the people who already play Eberron. And as a result, we're going to discover that WotC didn't actually need to even bother with making a full Rising book because the people who were going to play Eberron already own all the previous Eberron material and are quite happy to use all of it. All Eberron fans wanted was 5E mechanics for the parts of the setting the PHB doesn't provide. :)

That's the big difference between the Eberron players and some of the Realms players. The Eberron players all know that using any material they have from previous editions is just as good, just as valid, just as useful as anything WotC produces specifically for 5E. Whereas specific Realms players refuse the same because its not about playing the game, its about reading the story of the world in its entirety, year after year, kingdom after kingdom. If we know what is happening in Waterdeep in Year XXXX... we also HAVE to know what is happening in Turmish in that same year! Because otherwise... what's the point? What's the point of the Realms if not to have a blow-by-blow account of every person in every city in every nation in every day of every year?

Obviously I think that attitude is rather... counter... to what the point of a game world is supposed to be... but hey, people want what they want. But you, I, and the others are right-- WotC no longer has any intention of giving that to us. Because they now know how counter that is to useful game content as well, and how much a waste of their precious design time it is too.

gyor

Legend
W
Look mate, this is your original post;

Forgotten Realms: Rising from the Last Realms Shaking Event.
Okay the title is a tongue in cheek play on Eberron Rising from the Last War, but my point is a book like Eberron Rising From the Last War is the sort of book I've been asking for, but for the Forgotten Realms from WotC and given it's success I am hoping FR gets it's own version of a book with that function and size. Aka FRCG sort of book, but 5e style.

You've got almost all of that already, because most of this Eberron book is Khorvaire. There are only 8 pages beyond that continent. You've gotten your Sword Coast book, so you're only missing your 8 pages.

Now, if you want a book detailing areas beyond the Sword Coast, fine. But that's not a FR version of Rising from the Last War, that would be a second setting book for FR.

Your wrong about Eberron and your wrong about FR. Eberron is number 11 on the best seller rank on Amazon in the US and number 5 on the best seller rank in Canada. It's 135 in the UK, I don't know what the Brits have against Eberron.

Germany has it 1# best seller in fantasy fiction, but 74 in general.

Last edited:

Remove ads