Forked Thread: The KEWLEST thing you can think of

Asmor

First Post
Forked from: Of market leaders, stigmas and widespread appeal...

hong said:
Why... it would have to have CHAINSAW KATANAE!

Take a step back, for a moment. You're the personal embodiment of everything that's right or everything that's wrong with D&D and the direction it's headed in, depending on your opinion. You're given the chance to design fifth edition.

What is the most insane, cool, awesome, mind-blowing thing you can think of?

To start you off...

A grizzly bear that's on fire and riding a flying acid shark (with frickin' laser beams, natch) while wielding a chainsaw katana that doubles as a gun which shoots more chainsaw katanas which are also on fire.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
The d20 would be gone. In its stead, you would use 3d6. Everything would follow the bell curve.

The removal of classes as straight-jackets. Classes are more like templates, skill-package-esque things than actual things you progress in. Your class determines what class features are available, but you purchase them with "job points," allowing you to pick which abilities you gain, and in what order. Changing class or picking new ones up is relatively easy, but balanced and useful.

Races are distinct from each other, with much mechanical space given to differentiating them. Picking a race has a life-long impact on the character and his abilities.

Social encounter mechanics exist, as complex and involved as combat mechanics. Combat rewards tactical thinking; social encounters reward roleplaying. AC would remain static, but the ability to parry, dodge, and block would enter the combat equation, which would be opposed rolls. Spells would require attack rolls, against rolled "saving throws" (in the 3.5 sense).

The in-game economy is fixed and made scalable, so that a setting can be silver-based or platinum-based, and either can make sense. The economy is driven by material costs, allowing the DM to manipulate these to give a different feel to each geographical area.

Item costs are based on material costs and skill of the maker, with the default assuming the crafter was average for the locale (we'll get to that in a minute) and "took 10."

Crafting is more involved. Rather than paying straight cash for raw materials, you must have the actual materials on hand. This is determined by what you are making, and if you are modifying it to have some specific property. Equipment is scalable, and pluses are not necessarily magical in nature.

Speaking of equipment, there is DR. Damage is based not upon weapon, but upon user, with the light, one-handed, or two-handed descriptor modifying that damage. All equipment has hit points, and suffers damage.

Cities have their own mechanics, as well; so does terrain. Cities have mechanics controlling availability of resources, general skill level of crafters, and most likely a few other things. Terrain mechanics allow the DM to determine what kind of materials can be found in a general area, the scarcity of those goods, the difficulty to get at them, and their base quality.

Also, skills and abilities decay if they go unused too long.

...I think that covers most of the main things that I would do, thus far.

pogminky

First Post
The kewlest thing eva:

A hot, naked, bat-winged succubus duel-wielding light sabres, riding the back of a gargantuan burning draco-lich across a sea of rainbow coloured magma and into bloody, enviscerating combat against the massed hordes of mutant nazi zombie ape-men brandishing flaming chainsaws.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
The kewlest thing eva:

A hot, naked, bat-winged succubus duel-wielding light sabres, riding the back of a gargantuan burning draco-lich across a sea of rainbow coloured magma and into bloody, enviscerating combat against the massed hordes of mutant nazi zombie ape-men brandishing flaming chainsaws.

Sounds like a song by Dragonforce! :p

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
A setting in which wielding a katana against anything but an unarmed peasant or someone in crappy wood armor causes you to die. >:|

That said, and forgive the bias, but my KEWLEST THING EVER is pretty damn mundane. It's an incredibly dusty wide road where two men face each other a distance apart, both with one hand twitching next to their peacemakers. Watching from the sidelines, next to the saloon, is an irritable mage in dust-stained robes and a large metal humanoid contraption constantly belching out steam with a smaller man sitting inside, watching through the glass window. Some ways away is the downed zeppelin that three of said men came in on.

Asmor

First Post
The kewlest thing eva:

That is, as the saying goes, PRETTY ****ING METAL, my friend.

Sounds like a song by Dragonforce! :p

Ow, my fingers cramped up as soon as I read that. ;)

Damn - I forgot to add the giant mecha!

Nobody's perfect.

Okay, my second try:

A fleet of steampunk cannons, each the size of a large house, being wheeled into combat, pulled by giant mutant bulettes (with frickin' laser beams). Each canon is manned by a cadre of elite amazonian (but still feminine and well-endowed) ninjas, naked of course for even the slightest shred of clothing would only hamper their movements. As the canons reach the front lines, they are rolled into formation and form one massive cannon powerful enough to destroy the sun-- and it does just that. The amazonian ninjas use their impossible skills to dodge the continent-sized sheets of flames emanating from the sun as it goes supernova. The mutant bullettes, however, perish in the blast, but are reanimated by the solar radiation as pyrozombie mutant bulettes. Finally, the amalgamated cannon transforms one last time into a giant mecha and tears the entire world in twain like a sheet of tissue paper. Finally, the amazonian ninjas celebrate their victory in the exact way you'd expect. Fade to black, which then cuts out and is replaced with an HD feed of the celebration.

pogminky

First Post
Amazonian nazis....pyrozombie bulettes.....I'm gettin' ideas for a very odd adventure. It'll have to have rocket packs, vulture men, zepplins, cowboys with chainsaws, centaur-motorbikes, giant robots, dragons with lasers, naked cat-girls with mini-guns and probably a soundtrack of old school metal.

Remove ads