• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Found this interview on Youtube

HobbitFan

Explorer
I thought Chris Perkins response to the campaign settings question was interesting as I'm not sure what he really meant by that. I'm not sure what comments like presenting campaign setting materials in ways that "challenge expectations" means...

Staffan

Legend
Comments I wrote down as I watched it:

Echoes from one story to another - not so sure that's a good idea, as it can impede using them in the "wrong" order.

One big story in 2016? That's even less than the two Adventure Paths per year Mearls was talking about.

The glue holding the gears together? Best. Analogy. Ever.

Setting books: seems like they have some other plan than traditional setting sourcebooks, that will guarantee that the information is "used". Perhaps the way going forward is combined adventures and sourcebooks?

HobbitFan

Explorer
I totally forgot the linking of storyline comments-I was going to mention concerns about that too.
It seems strange so far becuase I don't see any connection between Tyranny of Dragons and Elemental Evil.

pukunui

Legend
I thought he was referring to the disparate elements within a single theme - so links between the novels, adventures, MMO content, etc that all come from the same story bible. I could be wrong though.

I copied out his whole last comment about sourcebooks: "One of our creative challenges is to package [setting] material - reintroduce facts and important details about our worlds - in a way that we know that DMs and players are going to use, that's going to excite them, that's actually going to surprise them. We may get that content out, but I'm not going to guarantee it's going to be a book. I'm not going to guarantee that it's going to be anything that you've seen before. But it will be something."

Staffan

Legend
I thought he was referring to the disparate elements within a single theme - so links between the novels, adventures, MMO content, etc that all come from the same story bible. I could be wrong though.
I understood it as something of a metaplot thing - though of course, the extent of such things can vary somewhat. For example, if it's just a matter of "Hey, that's the druid from the ruined town in Lost Mine of Phandelver, good on him that he's gone on to bigger and better things." If it's more along the lines of "When major event A happened in adventure B, villain C used the opportunity to set plan D in motion, and that's what adventure E is all about", that's not so cool. One of the major things that turned me off of FR in the past was the metaplot.

Iosue

Legend
One big story in 2016? That's even less than the two Adventure Paths per year Mearls was talking about.

I didn't take that as Perkins saying they were working on THE 2016 project, the only one, but rather A 2016 project, in contrast to the 2015 projects that are also being worked on. I figure 2014 was spent working on ToD and EE, now in 2015 they are working on the storyline that comes after EE in late 2015, and the storyline following that for first half of 2016.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads