Free League is Demiplane’s Latest Nexus

Following its recent Pathfinder 2E and World of Darkness announcements, new tabletop tools platform Demiplane has revealed that Free League’s array of games will be joining them. Demiplane’s Adam Bradford (co-founder of D&D Begind) about the new endeavor and shows a trailer. https://www.enworld.org/threads/pathfinder-nexus-is-the-official-toolset-for-pf2e.683549/ With D&D Beyond’s owner...

Following its recent Pathfinder 2E and World of Darkness announcements, new tabletop tools platform Demiplane has revealed that Free League’s array of games will be joining them.

78A063DA-FC0E-4D41-BC9D-6228422BD922.jpeg

Demiplane’s Adam Bradford (co-founder of D&D Begind) about the new endeavor and shows a trailer.

With D&D Beyond’s owner Fandom working hard on its acquisition Cortex Prime, along with various licensed properties for use with tabletop RPGs, such as Tales of Xadia, Demiplane looks to be setting itself up as a competitor by powering everything except D&D.

12E81524-4297-4CBE-B3C9-FE9E1D566902.jpeg

Retreater

Legend
I'm sure it's a good service, so I'm not going to bash it. But man, I just hate seeing the streaming-ness of RPG content that's ramping up now. Want to play PF - you'll need a subscription to this. Want to play D&D - it's a subscription to D&D Beyond. Want to play online, a subscription to Roll20 - but if you want to play PF online, you need to buy Foundry and subscribe to a hosting software. It's kind of like the split that happened with Netflix/HBO Max/Paramount Plus/Disney+/Peacock/Hulu/etc.
Everything seems to be renting files from subscription services now.
There's my grognard "get off my lawn" rant.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I
I'm sure it's a good service, so I'm not going to bash it. But man, I just hate seeing the streaming-ness of RPG content that's ramping up now. Want to play PF - you'll need a subscription to this. Want to play D&D - it's a subscription to D&D Beyond. Want to play online, a subscription to Roll20 - but if you want to play PF online, you need to buy Foundry and subscribe to a hosting software. It's kind of like the split that happened with Netflix/HBO Max/Paramount Plus/Disney+/Peacock/Hulu/etc.
Everything seems to be renting files from subscription services now.
There's my grognard "get off my lawn" rant.
I play D&D without a DDB subscription just fine.

Speaking of payment: does Demiplane or its variants actually have subscriptions? With the Free League titles coming there, I would be interested, but so far I see only see a pre-order option for Pathfinder content (and the option to sync with a Paizo account, which, I assume, may give free access to things you have bought there). I mean: I will not complain if the service is free, but maybe I'm just missing something :)

Likely starting with Alien and working towards the entire library.
From @robowieland 's Forbes piece:

"We plan to start Early Access for Free League Nexus with support for ALIEN: The Roleplaying Game, followed soon after by other Year Zero engine games like Forbidden Lands, Vaesen, Coriolis, Twilight: 2000, and more,” said Bradford. “Our license allows us to integrate additional games and new releases over time. Although it won't happen overnight, we want to provide high-quality tools for Free League fans, regardless of which of the games they play.”

I didn't love the preview images Demiplane released for its Vampire stuff, but in general I'm really excited to see this kind of support expanding to more titles.

dirtypool

Explorer
As long as there is an audience for traditionally printed games, and the paper shortage doesn't price the smaller companies from being able to enter that sphere in such a way as force them to permanently pivot to digital content, there will always be an ability to play games without having to subscribe to services like this.

There's no reason to fear that digital toolsets will move from useful to required for some time to come.

Retreater

Legend
There's no reason to fear that digital toolsets will move from useful to required for some time to come.
Music, movies, television, video games, ebooks, audiobooks. It's already happened in almost every avenue of media. Heck, it's happened in previous editions of D&D already.
The only thing that needs to happen is expanding some content to "digital only," then you're back to a DDI subscription that can get pulled at any time and when a company goes under or changes direction, you can't use your content anymore.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Music, movies, television, video games, ebooks, audiobooks. It's already happened in almost every avenue of media. Heck, it's happened in previous editions of D&D already.
The only thing that needs to happen is expanding some content to "digital only," then you're back to a DDI subscription that can get pulled at any time and when a company goes under or changes direction, you can't use your content anymore.
So what's the alternative you'd prefer? That everybody be denied these tools?

BadEye

Chief Development Officer at Demiplane
As long as there is an audience for traditionally printed games, and the paper shortage doesn't price the smaller companies from being able to enter that sphere in such a way as force them to permanently pivot to digital content, there will always be an ability to play games without having to subscribe to services like this.

Speaking as a creator of this digital support, I could not agree more - physical products will always play a role in this hobby. We are never trying to supplant that...our goal is to supplement and enhance the experience for those that find digital tools useful.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads