freeport questions (for GR)

bolen

First Post
Three questions about the Freeport setting
  1. If I own the old D20 book, what have you changed in the newer systemless format?
  2. Is the Savage World’s version available in print form now or will it only be a PDF
  3. Can You make a 4th edition version of this or do the rules for the new system license forbid you from doing this and continuing your support of other systems

The Lost Muse

First Post
  1. If I own the old D20 book, what have you changed in the newer systemless format?
  2. Is the Savage World’s version available in print form now or will it only be a PDF
  3. Can You make a 4th edition version of this or do the rules for the new system license forbid you from doing this and continuing your support of other systems

I'm not GR, but I believe they've updated the timeline, and resolved the succession crisis, while removing some of the campy elements that were previous books.

bolen

First Post
I'm not GR, but I believe they've updated the timeline, and resolved the succession crisis, while removing some of the campy elements that were previous books.

What campy elements ? I kind of know what your talking about, but could you be specific.

I found this link at the Green Ronin site.. I guess that they can't do a 4th edition book by the new GSL.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
[*]If I own the old D20 book, what have you changed in the newer systemless format?
The timeline is advanced several years past Black Sails and Crisis in Freeport, but the book is still usable with the Freeport Trilogy.

The campy elements are gone, and in their place are a ton of meaty new bits -- the Temple District alone could power a campaign for several years.

They've added a lot more background to the city and created an optional world beyond Freeport.

Is the Savage World’s version available in print form now or will it only be a PDF
It sounds like it's only going to be a PDF.

Can You make a 4th edition version of this or do the rules for the new system license forbid you from doing this and continuing your support of other systems
From what I understood from the Freeport blog, the 4E Freeport Companion would likely be the end of the line.

http://www.greenronin.com/freeport/2008/06/using_the_pirates_guide_with_4.php

I would totally advocate getting the Pirate's Guide to Freeport and Cults (and probably Buccaneers as well).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
QFT. The God Squad? I'd list more, but that's the one that remains in my mind, and I don't have the book handy.
IIRC, those guys are still in the new book, but their formal title is stressed, not the nickname. I just skimmed over that, though, since it's not important to my campaign. (And, really, if my player characters get in over their heads with a local cult, I have no real interest in sending in NPC adventurers to bail them out.)

Pramas

Explorer

1. We advanced the timeline five years, so the events of the various d20 modules are assumed to have already occurred. We added a lot of new characters and locations, and resolved the succession crisis. There's also an optional chapter on the World of Freeport that describes "the Continent" for the first time.

2. The Savage Worlds Freeport Companion is PDF ony at the moment. We may do a print version at some point.

3. If we do a 4E version, the line would have to go 4E for good. So no True20, Castles & Crusades, or 3.5/Pathfinder support. We're not ready to go there. I did write an article for the Freeport blog about using the Pirate's Guide with 4E though. You can find it here:
http://www.greenronin.com/freeport/2008/06/using_the_pirates_guide_with_4.php

Chris, have you folks considered doing an "unofficial" 4E-companion, using the same copyright and fair use laws that Kenzer is using for the new Kalamar setting, or Adamant is using for their new 4E material? That might be a way to satisfy both sides of the market.

(Note that I have no idea what the legal or professional pitfalls might be in following such a path, so it might not be the way to go. I'm just wondering if it's feasible, since I'd love to see 4E mechanics for Freeport.)

Remove ads