Froghemoths & Flail Snails - Oh My! Chris Perkins' New Adventure Sneak Peek

It's a Kamadan.

Remathilis

Legend
Good call. Slaadi spring to mind.

WotC has already dealt with three "Classic" D&D monster types - Dragons, Elementals, and Demons. Slaadi are a good bet for book #4.

Slaadi don't strike me as an iconic D&D monster; at least as far as carrying its own AP. I can think of at least a half-dozen (mind flayers, giants, undead, devils, modron etc) that have had more success carrying a module (let alone AP) than Slaadi. I'm actually surprised undead haven't gotten more play. (Guess they're waiting for Ravenloft).

Wik

First Post
Slaadi don't strike me as an iconic D&D monster; at least as far as carrying its own AP. I can think of at least a half-dozen (mind flayers, giants, undead, devils, modron etc) that have had more success carrying a module (let alone AP) than Slaadi. I'm actually surprised undead haven't gotten more play. (Guess they're waiting for Ravenloft).

Ah, but Slaadi are intellectual wotc property... and they haven't been the focus of much attention in the past. Plus, they're pretty easy to write big adventures around, and they have ties to a lot of things that are SO D&D - Modrons, for example, as well as many planar monsters like Githyanki.

Undead and Giants are pretty much Paizo's territory right now, and they're sort of played out. Slaadi would be interesting, new, and yet still close enough to "core" D&D that it's not a huge risk. Anyways, it's my guess at least.

Hussar

Legend
But, can you go from levels 1 to 15 in the Barrier Peaks? WotC seems uninterested in publishing mere adventure modules so far...

Oh, sure. That wouldn't be hard. Spaceship crashes somewhere in the Sword coast at some time in the past. The space ship's crash begins warping critters all around. Low level PC's are mostly on the defensive, putting out brush fires as funky, weird, never seen before critters come wandering out of the mountains and start eating sheep/cows/local farmfolk. Add in a mid-level incursion of Spelljammer goodness descending on the Sword Coast in order to retrieve/steal/whatever the space ship and whackiness ensues as Githyanki, Beholders and whatever start fighting each other over who can get their first. Finally, the party restores some semblance of order and mounts and expedition to the crashed spaceship in order to stop the weirdness/loot the bodies (pick whichever appeals to your group more) and end the campaign with some nifty cool funky stuff.

There's a lot you could do here.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not familiar at all with these old monsters, but my first thought when seeing just the look of 3/4 of them was that the adventure's theme could be invasion from the Far Realm. Which also means, introducing psionics in final version.

Jhaelen

First Post
Ho, hum. Never been a fan of Barrier Peaks or the monsters that are on the sillier side of things, e.g. Gelatineous Cubes, Flumphs, or 'Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing. Meh.

delericho

Legend
But, can you go from levels 1 to 15 in the Barrier Peaks? WotC seems uninterested in publishing mere adventure modules so far...

See "Iron Gods" from Paizo.

Of course, the problem with WotC revisiting "Barrier Peaks" is right there - Paizo have tackled a similar theme very recently. That doesn't mean they shouldn't do it, of course, but it does mean they should probably make sure to go in a different direction with it.

delericho

Legend
Good call. Slaadi spring to mind.

WotC has already dealt with three "Classic" D&D monster types - Dragons, Elementals, and Demons. Slaadi are a good bet for book #4.

Note that Perkins suggested it was for "a future" storyline, not necessarily "the next" storyline. Giants still have my bet for that, or just possibly Ravenloft. (Though I'd probably make Ravenloft #5, placing it closer to Halloween next year.)

Remove ads

Remove ads