Froghemoths & Flail Snails - Oh My! Chris Perkins' New Adventure Sneak Peek

It's a Kamadan.

Benji

First Post
Is this the next one? Or are we talking about one after the 'Giants Do Shakespeare?' (which as an aside, if the path is actually called that I will sell my child to buy).

It seems very Barrier Peaks. The only other thing I remember the Froghemoth in is the latest edition of Gamma World (which also had Vegepygmies - nice work).

Ignominia

First Post
Wacky enough to be part of the project that Pendelton Ward was working on? That Flail Snail seems like he would be right at home in the Land of Ooo

Henry

Autoexreginated
Oh, absolutely - with modifications. Start with vegepygmies and smaller threats, graduate to androids and robots, end up with big alien monstrosities and a big alien enemy at the bottom...

...but then, it will probably be a wildly different take even if it is a sci-fantasy adventure path.

turkeygiant

First Post
While I would love a Rod of Seven Parts adventure, Methinks it will be a Barrier Peaks adventure. That also sounds fun, and given the recent UA of Modern stuff, and this particular menagerie, I'll stick with Barrier Peaks until further notice. Its definitely a grognardiapalooza and one that hasn't really been re-done before in a meaningful way.

I don't know if I would consider the UA modern stuff a hint towards Barrier peaks, they feel like two very different genres of sci-fi-fanatsy. The UA article is much more contemporary in its focus, computers, the internet, and home appliances. Barrier Peaks is more like plain medieval fantasy with an injection of extreme alien sci-fi, the sort of sci-fi that is so weird it is indistinguishable from magic. I don't think the content of the UA really mess that well with this later genre.

Wik

First Post
Why Barrier Peaks? Only ONE of those four monsters was in the Barrier Peaks... and it wasn't even unique to that adventure! Plus, a science-fantasy game seems a bit too "out there" for WotC trying to bring in a large new audience. If they WERE trying to do the Barrier Peaks, you know they'd at least mention Vegepygmies and Russet Mold - both of which played a much larger part in the module than the Froghemoth.

(Though, as a sidebar, how they introduce the Froghemoth is one of the coolest things a 1e module ever did. It was a monster that actually got foreshadowed!)

My guess is it's something a bit unusual compared to what they've already done, but not ridiculously so. The weird monsters are probably just a shout-out to old school D&D, and something to keep the grognards happy. I mean, they put the flumph in the core MM as well as the modrons.... so you know they're thinking about "fringe" D&D players already!

Wik

First Post
Or a touch of aberrant magic/mutants and all. Perhaps chaos magic? Something warping normal animals into these forms?

Good call. Slaadi spring to mind.

WotC has already dealt with three "Classic" D&D monster types - Dragons, Elementals, and Demons. Slaadi are a good bet for book #4.

(Giants are a good call, too, but I think with Pathfinder having just done a Giants AP and with their original AP being the quintessential giant AP,WotC wants to wait a bit before dipping their two into the giant pond)

Uchawi

First Post
I vote salad, swamp, or variation of that theme. I would be disappointed if it was a play off an old adventure like barrier peaks, a little less if it was the dwellers of the forbidden city.

Remove ads

Remove ads