• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ftr/Wiz build?

Caspian

First Post
I'm trying to fine tune my fighter/wizard/Eldritch Knight build for spellcasting with the ability to use a glaive on people in such instances when I can't cast spells. Right now its a low level game in what seems to be a drearily low magic world (Ftr 1/Wiz 1). The only reason I took the level of fighter was for some modicum of self sufficiency as some of the players don't really grasp the idea of "protect the mage" as far as I can tell.

What things should I keep in mind? Is there anything from Complete Warrior or Complete Arcane that I'm missing?

smootrk

First Post
the PHB2 has the Duskblade class which may fit your character concept quite well, while keeping to a base class (20 level).

smootrk

First Post
If I was the DM and if your character did not fundamentally change much (from the aspect of basic premise and personality), then I would allow the retro-fit, but then again, I am not your DM.

Vorput

First Post
If I were your DM I'd give you some sort of celestial half dragon unicorn with horseshoes of speed and a vorpal horn ... but alas

Just remember you're not going to be the best of either world... focus on buff spells (if you're going to go lots of fighter), or do a normal mage spell choices if you're not going to go that much more with fighter (i.e. one level now, and the lost caster level with eldritch)- with perhaps a focus on touch spells because you'd be able to survive in melee slightly longer than a normal mage.

Remember, armor hates you- and you hate it.

Vorp

RigaMortus2

First Post
If your DM doesn't let you "redo" your character to a Duskblade (assuming that IS what you want to do), then just do something suicidal and die, then remake the character. You are only level 2 anyway...

szilard

First Post
Feats:

Arcane Strike is a nice feat - it takes spells you don't need and turns them into significant melee bonuses.

Practiced Spellcaster is a near-must.

There is also a feat Insightful Reflexes, I think, that lets you use your Intelligence Bonus for Reflex Saves instead of Dex. This could be very useful to your build, depending upon your Dexterity.

-Stuart

Vorput

First Post
The no armor thing will suck, but with mage armor, or improved mage armor (complete arcane)- and spells like blink- you should be able to manage... just be prepared to spend a fair amount of your spell slots on defense.

Vorp

Remove ads