• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[FULL] 3.5 Adventure Path - Dungeon Magazine

Sebastian O

First Post
shilsen said:
Drat! Now I have to go turn in my Rules Lawyer badge :eek: I'll switch it out for something else.

Don't worry about it! With the new feat, Philip is all set to go! Officially approved, and ready to add to the Rogue's Gallery.

Sebastian O

First Post
Dragon-Slayer said:
Added one to Dex and adjusted. Can you tell I am used to rolling up a character over point buy?

I can tell, because now it's a 29 point buy. :)

Here's how point buy works:

Start with all abilities at 8, which costs zero points. For every score you want to increase over an 8, there is a fixed point cost associated, as follows.

9=1
10=2
11=3
12=4
13=5
14=6
15=8
16=10
17=13
18=16

So, you have 28 points to spend according to that breakdown, and then once you've spent your 28 points, adjust the STR and CON scores according to the guidelines for Gnomes. And then, you're done!

rangerjohn

Explorer
jpwic said:
Feats:

Martial Weapon: Longsword (Granted from War Domain)
Martial Weapon: Dwarven Waraxe (Racial Bonus)
Martial Weapon: Dwarven Urgrosh (Racial Bonus)
Weapon Focus: Longsword (Granted from War Domain)
Tower Shield Proficiency

The racial bonuses allow you to use those weapons as martial weapons instead of exotic. You still need to have the martial proficiency, either by taking the feat, or having a class with that ability. Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian etc.

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
Sebastian O said:
I can tell, because now it's a 29 point buy. :)

Here's how point buy works:

Start with all abilities at 8, which costs zero points. For every score you want to increase over an 8, there is a fixed point cost associated, as follows.

9=1
10=2
11=3
12=4
13=5
14=6
15=8
16=10
17=13
18=16

So, you have 28 points to spend according to that breakdown, and then once you've spent your 28 points, adjust the STR and CON scores according to the guidelines for Gnomes. And then, you're done!

I will take it back to 27 and live with it. I had read up on point buy in other places and nothing seems to quite add up, therefore I will live with the 27 point buy by nixing the Dex again.

Sebastian O

First Post
Cauldron

Since we should be ready to start very soon, I thought I'd go ahead and offer some info about the location of the game...Cauldron, the city in a volcano!

Well, it's really built in the bowl of a dormant volcano, but still, it's unique and cool.

Here is a link to a generic map of the city (overview), provided by the good people at Paizo Publishing.

Cauldron

And, some description of Cauldron from the module:

"Cauldron forms the hub of the campaign, and has seen many adventures over the years. The town's buildings, tightly packed and built from volcanic rock and wood, line the inner bowl of a nameless, dormant volcano. Cobblestone roads form concentric circles around a small lake of cold water, which fills the volcano's basin. Although the town's sewage seeps into the lake, local clerics routinely purify the water for the citizens in exchange for donations to their temples.

A 50-foot wall of black malachite encircles the city, tracing the outer rim of the volcano. Four roads descend the outer walls of the volcano, becoming major thoroughfares that lead to other towns and distant realms. The districts nearer the rim of the city tend to be occupied by upper class families and elite merchants. The closer one gets to the center of town (and the closer to the pungent odors of the central lake), the shoddier the construction and the more dangerous the dark alleys.

Most people get around Cauldron on foot, although the town has its share of wagons and carriages, most of them owned by merchants and nobles."

All characters will need to conclude their backgrounds with a reason for coming to this unique city. We'll start under the assumption that the PCs have recently arrived (say, within the last 5-7 days).

Sebastian O

First Post
rangerjohn said:
The racial bonuses allow you to use those weapons as martial weapons instead of exotic. You still need to have the martial proficiency, either by taking the feat, or having a class with that ability. Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian etc.

Hmm, yeah, that's true. I guess since Thurgosh wasn't equipped with a dwarven racial weapon, I wasn't really thinking about it. Guess he'll just have to stick to the longsword for now (make Heironeous proud!). ;)

Last edited:

Sebastian O

First Post
Dragon-Slayer said:
I will take it back to 27 and live with it. I had read up on point buy in other places and nothing seems to quite add up, therefore I will live with the 27 point buy by nixing the Dex again.

It's not necessary to do that. In fact, you could put the extra point into CON, and thus wind up with a score of 14 (for an additional modifier point). You could also put the extra point into STR, WIS, or CHA but you wouldn't get any additional modifier points then. So how about the CON score?

EDIT:

I finished going over the rest of the sheet now, and I have the following questions and clarifications:

1. Listen should be +5 (modified by WIS not INT)

2. search should be +6 (modified by INT not WIS)

3. It appears you chose one too many languages (s.b. Common, Gnome, and 2 bonus languages)

4. I figured you used 42 skill points, should be 40.

5. My final calculation for remaining wealth was 62 gp, 7 sp (didn't charge for explorers outfit, one set of clothing is free)

That should about do it! Let me know what you want to do.

Last edited:

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
Sebastian O said:
It's not necessary to do that. In fact, you could put the extra point into CON, and thus wind up with a score of 14 (for an additional modifier point). You could also put the extra point into STR, WIS, or CHA but you wouldn't get any additional modifier points then. So how about the CON score?

EDIT:

I finished going over the rest of the sheet now, and I have the following questions and clarifications:

1. Listen should be +5 (modified by WIS not INT)

2. search should be +6 (modified by INT not WIS)

3. It appears you chose one too many languages (s.b. Common, Gnome, and 2 bonus languages)

4. I figured you used 42 skill points, should be 40.

5. My final calculation for remaining wealth was 62 gp, 7 sp (didn't charge for explorers outfit, one set of clothing is free)

That should about do it! Let me know what you want to do.

No need for the extra point, I can live quite easily at 27.

1) Fixed.
2) Fixed
3) Sorry, forgot to drop that when I dropped the Intelligence, fixed.
4) You are quite right, I dropped 2 skill ranks.
5) I capped him at an even 60gp.

Sebastian O

First Post
Dragon-Slayer said:
No need for the extra point, I can live quite easily at 27.

1) Fixed.
2) Fixed
3) Sorry, forgot to drop that when I dropped the Intelligence, fixed.
4) You are quite right, I dropped 2 skill ranks.
5) I capped him at an even 60gp.

Okay, this will work. The only other thing that would need to change, then, is that his hp needs to drop to 7.

Other than that, he is ready to go!

Sebastian O

First Post
With all the character sheets approved, now, we are almost ready to get this show on the road! We need to get all five PC sheets posted to the Rogue's Gallery (Aleria and Thurgosh are already there), and backgrounds for each reflecting that the characters wind up in Cauldron (Aleria and Demetrius have already done so).

Once these things have been taken care of, the first turn will come out! :cool:

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads