• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Future Tech Wishlist

gregweller

First Post
One more thing. If anyone wants to play around creating an ontology for RPGs (or who even just want to see what an ontology is like), there is a great free tool avaliable from Stanford University called Protege. It's open-source, java-based and you can get it at:

http://protege.stanford.edu/

It also has an extensible architecture, so there are a lot of plugins available for it. It can read/write RFD (resource description framework) files, xml and xml-schema formats and allows you to work with ontology languages such as DAML+OIL. And a ton of other stuff that I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

BeerSkunk

First Post
You know, sometimes you never fully appreciate electricity until you don't have it for a few days. Thankfully, the crews here in Raleigh, NC, USA have done a good job of restoring power pretty quickly after an ice storm this week, and now I can get back to feeding my online habits. :)

This thread has certainly gotten far off topic, but who am I to try and put it back on course?

As much as many of us would like a standard format for importing/exporting data for D20 games (I think most of us see beyond D&D), I doubt that an accepted standard will ever be reached. As Chris points out, and I paraphrase, developers are egotistical, vain, and have a firm belief in the superiority of their own design. ;) Even an XML format put forth by WotC, while it would be accepted, would almost certainly fall short in the eyes of many third party developers. The ever growing body of D20 games only complicates the matter.

Most developers will probably try to support WotC's XML format in some form or another. They'll continue to keep their own XML or proprietary format (nobody is going to toss out that much work). They'll also probably support some of the other widely used third party programs' XML formats. As DarkWhite pointed out, XSL provides the means for 'transforming' an XML document from one format to another. The only trouble is that it's up to the developer to create XSL documents for each format he wants to support. I can only think of 4 third party tools in 'wide' use that I would even consider worth the effort to support. That's a lot of work to support each of those tools, and four isn't even that many!

I've touched on ontologies with other discussion groups before. It looks promising and well suited to this soup bowl we have with the D20 system from the white papers I've read.

Ultimately it's the end user who benefits. They should have lots of choices and not be penalized for choosing product X when their friend chose product Y. The tools for improving software interoperability have come a long way in the past decade. It's good to see that developers are taking advantage of them.

A standard? Doubtful. A mix of support for a couple of different formats is most likely.

deltacoder

First Post
the only way to have a standard accepted is to make it so well-designed that it is obvious why it should be used, and make it so easy to use that it is easier for the programmer to use it than to code their own.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads