D&D General G4's New D&D Show Is Called 'Invitation to Party'

The D&D show that US digital network G4 announced earlier this year has a title -- Invitation to...

The D&D show that US digital network G4 announced earlier this year has a title -- Invitation to Party.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 2.43.32 PM.png

The show launches this month, and will be an actual play show with B. Dave Walters as the Dungeon Master, who will be running the game for Kassem Gharaibeh, Fiona Nova, Indiana Black, and Ify Nwadiwe. It launches on streaming services Friday, 19th November at 6pm ET (11pm GMT) and then re-broadcast on G4TV on the Monday.

invtoparty.jpg

I think it is just the idea of voicing the "other" in a fantasy space. Are you Eastern European? I'm Anglo-American, and the number of times people put on an English accent (ANY of them) in fantasy RPGs would put the numbers for Eastern European/Scottish accents to shame. I don't let it bother me though, because I understand that they are commonly heard/understood accents that easily create a fantasy atmosphere.
I'm actually not Eastern European, but I just find it funny/lame.
If you want real horror, check out David Walters atrocious cockney accent. It's cringe/terrible to the absolute max. To make it even more magical, it's used in a conversation between someone playing an edge lord and then, 30 seconds later, someone with a fake generic eastern European accent joins in:

It's unwatchable.
I like Walters well enough, but please...the accents...

Last edited:

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I'm actually not Eastern European, but I just find it funny/lame.
If you want real horror, check out David Walters atrocious cockney accent. It's cringe/terrible to the absolute max. To make it even more magical, it's used in a conversation between someone playing an edge lord and then, 30 seconds later, someone with a fake generic eastern European accent joins in:

It's unwatchable.
I like Walters well enough, but please...the accents...
I definitely see where you are coming from, it can certainly be annoying, especially when those accents are only used for stereotypes. Now, the reason I stopped watching the video two minutes in is that I can't stand web-based actual play for some reason, it is just too disjointed.

ShieldWarden

Villager
Wow, threw gatekeeping at me, thanks. Regardless, they are actors, even in a loose term I’d imagine they did high school, college, and other type of gigs that wouldn’t even be covered on IMDB but acting none the less. Social media blurs the line of what some consider actors (Tom cruise or broadway actors, or online presences like so many people nowadays who might act on their streams) and again if they think of dnd as method acting, great, have fun enjoy the show. I’ll check it out and see how it goes.

If taking a drama class or being in the drama club in high school/college is enough to consider new players as "pretending" to play D&D, why aren't you asking for detailed resumes of new players at your tables to weed out those pesky actors? What makes them different?

My guess is jealousy. They're getting paid to do and experience something that you love and do for free, and that somehow makes them illegitimate. Also, ironically, that's one of the corner stones of gatekeeping.

Remove ads

Remove ads