GAME OF THRONES #2:The Night Lands ACT 12 Chapter 2-2012

LightPhoenix

First Post
Remus Lupin has it right - showing this makes
Mel's demon baby and weakening Stannis
a little more obtuse. In the book GRRM can take a little while to make the implication more clear. With the amount of exposition needed simply to tell the story on TV, it's a lot quicker and easier to spell it out.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I also noticed that the scene with Theon arriving at Iron Isles happened quite differently than the books. Asha (Yara) was actually out on a ship when he arrived and his uncle took him to Pyke.

I don't remember the exact sequence of events, but the scene where he gropes Ashayara on the horse is definitely in the books. There's this whole bit where she convinces him that she's a shipwrights wife or something, and he tries to seduce her, which hightens his humiliation when he learns the truth.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
Regarding the Yara Greyjoy angle...I have a feeling Victarion Greyjoy may be chopped from the series and that Yara will assume the amalgamated role of Victarion and Asha. Unfortunate since I thuroughly dig Uncle Vic, but adapting this book series for television will have to begin to diverge in major ways at SOME point. Groundless speculation obviously, but it seems trivial and goofy to only rename a character if you haven't also done something "else" to them. Taken alongside no casting for Victarion for season 2...

Jon witnessing Craster offering his newborn son to the white walkers was also a bit of a divergence. If memory serves, the books handled it as a bit of dialogue between Sam and Gilly. So it'll be interesting to see how things advance in the TV version. Perhaps the giant cluster-fudge at Craster's cabin that occurs in Book 3 will be stepped up considerably? Perhaps the Fist of the First Men battle will take place at Craster's compound instead?

Fast Learner

First Post
She was renamed due to the similarity between Osha and Asha, which is much more likely to be confusing if you can only hear the names.

I suspect the stuff that happens in book 5 makes merging Asha and Victarion more difficult, and if my suspicions are right about both of them in book 6, it makes merging them impossible.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Regarding the Yara Greyjoy angle...I have a feeling Victarion Greyjoy may be chopped from the series and that Yara will assume the amalgamated role of Victarion and Asha. Unfortunate since I thuroughly dig Uncle Vic, but adapting this book series for television will have to begin to diverge in major ways at SOME point. Groundless speculation obviously, but it seems trivial and goofy to only rename a character if you haven't also done something "else" to them. Taken alongside no casting for Victarion for season 2...

Jon witnessing Craster offering his newborn son to the white walkers was also a bit of a divergence. If memory serves, the books handled it as a bit of dialogue between Sam and Gilly. So it'll be interesting to see how things advance in the TV version. Perhaps the giant cluster-fudge at Craster's cabin that occurs in Book 3 will be stepped up considerably? Perhaps the Fist of the First Men battle will take place at Craster's compound instead?

Yes - the sacrifice of the boy was something that had happened previously, not with any baby that was born while the night's watch was there.

I don't think they can do the Fist of the First Men occurrence at Craster's Keep - too much happens after that in the books: (swipe for spoilers)
1) Ghost finds a buried ranger packet full of obsidian/dragon glass at the Fist. 2) They meet Qhorin Halfhand, and then Jon goes off scouting with him. 3) They have the encounter with that Sixskins guy and his eagle/hawk/whatever 4) And, then they meet up with Ygritte at the end after Jon kills Qhorin

However, one of the early teasers before season 2 did have the horn of the night's watch sounding 3 times, which is the prologue to Book 3.

Remove ads