GAME OF THRONES #3: Breaker of Chains ACT 42 Chapter 4-2014

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Breaker of Chains
In the frenzied aftermath of the royal wedding, Tyrion gets a visit from a loyal subject, but wonders if anyone in his family will help him out of his current predicament. Meanwhile, Tywin offers to work for the common good with a presumed enemy; Sam takes stock of the personnel at Castle Black; the Hound gives another life lesson to Arya; and Daenerys makes a decision outside the walls of Meereen

cb75b1638ab24c42cca4570e0b39a4e8.jpg

Running Theme--All Men Must Die: A Fool of a Knight---for gold.

Last edited:

Just saw that...had a busy day.
No excuses!!!

And the descriptions are different..;)
He has a clip, but in any case, since there are now more replies in this thread, I'm going to stick with this one.

I saw an interview with Jack Gleeson about this episode last week. He said it was his favorite episode because all he had to do was lay there and take a nap with the coins on his eyes while everyone else had to work.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
What a way to go on your final day of work....;)

No excuses!!!

He has a clip, but in any case, since there are now more replies in this thread, I'm going to stick with this one.

I saw an interview with Jack Gleeson about this episode last week. He said it was his favorite episode because all he had to do was lay there and take a nap with the coins on his eyes while everyone else had to work.

What a way to go on your final day of work....;)

Well, some actors will kill for a good death scene in their careers; he certainly got his.

I see people elsewhere on the interwebs are getting bent about the Jamie/Cersei scene. I'm not sure why. Yeah, it was sick and twisted, but hardly the worst thing in the series so far. Perhaps I could agree that there is too much gratuitous shock value, but I doubt that will abate. With the books compressed into the series, the buffers between shocks have been cut out.

Avaru

First Post
I see people elsewhere on the interwebs are getting bent about the Jamie/Cersei scene. I'm not sure why. Yeah, it was sick and twisted, but hardly the worst thing in the series so far. Perhaps I could agree that there is too much gratuitous shock value, but I doubt that will abate. With the books compressed into the series, the buffers between shocks have been cut out.

People get raped IRL a lot more than they get crossbow bolts into their heads, getting killed by ghosts or getting their manly parts sawn off. And also, they are main characters, you usually do that kind of thing to extras only...

And also, they are main characters, you usually do that kind of thing to extras only...

That's pretty much the GoT/ASoIaF signature, though: don't get too attached to the main characters, because the good ones will do bad things (or vice versa) and the ones you get most attached to are likely to die in a sudden, brutal manner. Par for the course, in other words.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Now I know this is a pretty rough show. And I can cope with the horrible aspects. It is the gritty and horrible that make the show what it is. What bugs me is that it is that the scene with Jamie and Cersei goes directly against Jaime's character growth and background. It did not ring true to the character in any way. Nor did it add to the story. It was gratuitous and unnecessary. I can just imagine the scene in the production office with the producers and studio execs sitting around saying "We need something to shock the audience. But we can't kill anyone important, we just did that in Ep 2. I know, let's rape a central female character!"

I think Scott Meslow has done a fine job of summing up the wider issues here: http://theweek.com/article/index/26...-of-game-of-thrones-just-got-enormously-worse

I would like to add that the characters are not acting in a random manner or just to shock the audience or even just to advance the plot. Martin is a better writer than that. His characters grow and act in ways that are in accordance with who they are. This change in the show and in the dynamic between two important characters is the work of hacks, not writers.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I don't get what the big deal is with the Jamie/Cersei thing (as a non-book reader). He's been battered, imprisoned, and emasculated for years (in RL time; not sure how long the Starks had him in their timeline), and even when he finally gets back home, he does so missing a hand, his position is mocked by the king and the hand and his professional life seems to be over, and his illicit sister/lover has the nerve to reject him and then ask him to kill their brother for doing something that they both probably realize he didn't do and which they both know was for the best anyway.

Not that what he did to her was a good thing, but there was an abundance of reason for him to do it. Him finally taking out his pent-up anger and frustration seemed in-character to me. I can't say I ever bought him as being redemptive in the first place. And, as one writer noted, if he had just taken a sword and impaled Cersei, people would have cheered her death almost as hard as they did the death of her son. I don't get why this whole thing has become a news story.

On an unrelated note, Oberyn is killing it. He's only been in a few scenes but his presence is so powerful you wouldn't know it. His confrontation with the de facto king was priceless. The stuff at the end of the show seemed a little silly to me with the horseman making a fool out of himself and the good ol' magical voice enhancement kicking in so people a mile away can hear a smallish woman speaking. But the titular gag at the end was pretty good.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases