GAME OF THRONES #2: The Lion and the Rose ACT 41 Chapter 4-2014

Ahnehnois

First Post
Don't worry. If memory serves me correctly, it is no 'normal' poison, so, again, fantasy-based poison. :)
Fair enough. I'm just raising an issue. It's entirely possible that the future shows or the existing book canon provide information on this topic that might change how I feel about it from just watching the show up to now.

MarkB

Legend
It's not about realism, it's about making sense. Poisoning someone makes more sense if you can do it without anyone knowing what item was poisoned and when.

I suspect, given Joffrey's charming personality, that being able to watch him choke painfully to death in public was definitely a desired factor on the part of whoever did the deed.

Also, those Maesters can be quite clever - using anything too slow gives them time to work up a cure.

And finally, if Joffrey did succumb to slow poison, dying privately in bed guarded by only the most trusted knights and servants, Tywin could spin out the situation for days or weeks more, claiming that the king is alive but convalescing, while he uses the excuse of finding the poisoner to investigate and eliminate any major threat to the throne. A public death, in front of highborn witnesses from across the kingdom, is impossible to deny.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
And! But! Also! The poisoning was foreshadowed in the 2nd season with the Dragonstone maester's attempted poisoning of Melisandre. We know exactly which poison was used on Joffrey, and have seen before in the series how it functions. That said, it seemed to work more quickly on Joffrey than on the Maester. And I'm fairly confident I know who did it, both from the books and TV context.

NewJeffCT

First Post
And! But! Also! The poisoning was foreshadowed in the 2nd season with the Dragonstone maester's attempted poisoning of Melisandre. We know exactly which poison was used on Joffrey, and have seen before in the series how it functions. That said, it seemed to work more quickly on Joffrey than on the Maester. And I'm fairly confident I know who did it, both from the books and TV context.

I think when I read the books initially, I thought it was a conspiracy involving several people - especially at the end
when Tyrion sneers to Jamie that yes, he did kill his (Jamie's) vile son.

Remove ads